Proof that we worship Mary

I’m getting pretty sick of dealing with smug Protestants about issues they can’t understand, but this deserves a look. I’m beginning to track it down now, but I could use some help here:

“Worshipping Mary will always be an irreplaceable help on the path of holiness.” -Synodus Episcoporum Bulletin of the Commission for information of the Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops 30 September-27 Oct. 2001

Thanks,
MM

MM, here’s the original document being quoted:

vatican.va/news_services/press/sinodo/documents/bollettino_20_x-ordinaria-2001/02_inglese/b09_02.html

And the proper understanding of how “worship” was used in the text:

ewtn.com/faith/teachings/maryc5.htm

[quote=FCEGM]MM, here’s the original document being quoted:

vatican.va/news_services/press/sinodo/documents/bollettino_20_x-ordinaria-2001/02_inglese/b09_02.html

And the proper understanding of how “worship” was used in the text:

ewtn.com/faith/teachings/maryc5.htm
[/quote]

Thanks, man, but this one dredged up quote just cost me a lot of credibility on www.bibleforums.org/forum. There’s no way I’m ever going to be able to clean this up–particularly since my anti-Protestant prejudice is fully matured…

An English translation of the original statement is here:

The text states that the original was in German, but I have not been able to locate that yet.

As a speaker of American English I do think this a poor choice of words, but a British english speaker might not see any problem with this, as in Britain magistrates and some government officials are still given the honorific “your Worship.” Possibly the translator in the Vatican Press Office is, or learned English from, a British English speaker.

Regardless of how this translation came about, this in no way suggests that Mary is due any higher honor than hyperdulia.

The problem lies in the false dichotomy protestors set up for words.

di·chot·o·my Pronunciation: dI-'kä-t&-mE also d&- Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural -mies
Etymology: Greek dichotomia, from dichotomos
1 : a division or the process of dividing into two especially mutually exclusive or contradictory groups or entities
4 : something with seemingly contradictory qualities

It means this and nothing else is false. There are many meanings to the word “worship”
According to Webster

wor·ship Pronunciation: 'w&r-sh&p Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English worshipe worthiness, respect, reverence paid to a divine being, from Old English weorthscipe worthiness, respect, from weorth worthy, worth + -scipe -ship
1 chiefly British : a person of importance – used as a title for various officials (as magistrates and some mayors)
2 : reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also : an act of expressing such reverence
3 : a form of religious practice with its creed and ritual
4 : extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem

I would rightly say “I worship the ground my wife walks on” this doesn’t mean I think the ground is God nor does it mean I think my wife is God.

Related Words adoration, deference, glorification, reverence, veneration; idealization, romanticization; affection, fancy, favor, fondness, like, liking, love; appreciation, esteem, regard, respect; approval

Do I adore my mother Mary, well, yes, and I am not ashamed of it. We do not give her the “worship” intended for God alone.

[quote=montanaman]Thanks, man, but this one dredged up quote just cost me a lot of credibility on www.bibleforums.org/forum. There’s no way I’m ever going to be able to clean this up–particularly since my anti-Protestant prejudice is fully matured…
[/quote]

What do you mean no way? Just post the clarification links.

[quote=adstrinity]What do you mean no way? Just post the clarification links.
[/quote]

Clarification links? You mean the thing about the different sense of worship? Right–the facilitator is removing the portions I cited because they’re allegedly copyrighted material from e-catholic.com or something.

Besides, the context, which I found, doesn’t do much to clarify why a bishop of the Church is advocating worship of the Virgin Mary. I explained about the different senses of “worship,” explained that it was a translation, etc. Now, they’re coming close to accusing me of going back on my word.

Here’s a link to the current debate. I’m Pax_Vobiscum over there.

bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?p=537931#post537931

Everybody welcome Matt14!

“Hi Matt14!”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.