As some of you may or may not know, I am a complete moron withnot even a fraction of the knowledge possessed by many on this forum. Now with that out of the way, I have a problem. A big one. I was, up until I saw the movie Gandhi, a staunch Catholic, I mean hardcore. Like death-to-Hans-Kueng hardcore. I thought my Religion was perfect, at least, the way I understood it to be. Then I saw Gandhi, and, well, everything was kind of up for grabs. Over time, I matured and softened. I started questioning all things, including my Religion. Then I found out that I was blatantly wong about what my Religion taught. So I looked into it, thinking that it was mere misunderstanding. I came out with just more disagreement. Here are some of the things I disagree with, in no particular order.
- Sex is alright even if conception is unlikely or impossible, as it is for bonding and enjoyment also.
- We can enjoy the material things of this world, i.e. wealth, beyond our essential needs and still go to Heaven.
- Monasticism and Marriage are equal (this is the one that really blows my mind.)
- A devout, self-indulgent Christian is superior to, oh, lets say, a devout, ascetic Hindu cough GANDHI cough.
- Self-defense (of just yourself, not anyone else) is morally acceptable.
- Not all people go to Heaven. Allow me to articulate, when I say get to Heaven, I mean eventually. For example, lets just say Hitler is in Hell for 1 billion years for every person he killed. That’s enough, I’d say. Let the punishment fit the crime, and anyway you look at it, eternal Hell is overkill, even for Hitler.
So, in this Holy Week, I ask you, are there proofs of our Christian faith? I want truth, but I don’t want to be blind either. I want to understand why it is truth.