Prop 8 found to be unconstitutional...struck down!

drudgereport.com/

IMO, all faithful Christians should leave California and leave it for whatever the Lord desires. It seems no sensible moral battles can be won there anymore.

This will go all the way to the SCOTUS.

NO way they don’t uphold the law.

9th Circuit. What do you expect?:frowning:

I do not understand how any faithful Christians could live there anymore. Enough is enough.

The sad part is, you carve out SF and LA, and we are a red state.:frowning:

I do think that when this reaches the SCOTUS (please God), the law will be upheld.

Which will allow each state to craft a law that is exactly the same. I don’t see 1 state that won’t do this.

ie, we have lost a battle, but we may have just won the war

It is brutally sad, yet also brutally true that CA is lost.

By Peter J. SmithSAN FRANCISCO, California, Aug. 4, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - U.S. District Chief Justice Vaughn Walker has dealt a blow to defenders of California’s constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of a man and a woman, according to media sources.Sources both with the Drudge…

Full article…

The LA Times has a reporter there. Here is her article, which looks as if it is being updated.

latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/08/prop8-gay-marriage.html

“Plaintiffs challenge Proposition 8 under the Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment,” the judge wrote. “Each challenge is independently meritorious, as Proposition 8 both unconstitutionally burdens the exercise of the fundamental right to marry and creates an irrational classification on the basis of sexual orientation.”

Vaughn added: "Plaintiffs seek to have the state recognize their committed relationships, and plaintiffs’ relationships are consistent with the core of the history, tradition and practice of marriage in the United States.“

Ultimately, the judge concluded that Proposition 8 "fails to advance any rational basis in singling out gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license. Indeed, the evidence shows Proposition 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California Constitution the notion that opposite-sex couples are superior to same-sex couples. … Because Proposition 8 prevents California from fulfilling its constitutional obligation to provide marriages on an equal basis, the court concludes that Proposition 8 is unconstitutional.”]

Marriage is a fundamental right? I guess I didn’t see that coming. The equal protection makes sense, though.

I am overjoyed!
A monumental day for civil rights. Equality won today.

Civil Rights of a minority should never be voted on and dictated by the whims of the majority. Regardless of what SCOTUS rules, one day same sex marriage will be legal in every state.

In the history of the USA the arc of Justice has always come down the side of equality, whether it be a woman’s right to vote or segregation, etc. God bless Ted Olson, he is a conservative with a conscience.

And I am outraged and sickened.

False analogy, but I don’t expect more from you.

The Supreme Court previously dismissed Baker v. Nelson, I’ll keep praying that our SCOTUS shows some sense (for once).

Either way, if this happens, expect big gains by the GOP this year, and in 2012.

Sad day for the state of CA. Yet is seems the whole world is sinking in the swamp.:frowning:

As expected.

The judge, Vaughn Walker is gay and was outed by the San Francisco Chronicle.

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/02/07/BACF1BT7ON.DTL

And turned the whole affair into some “gay marriage” show trial.

The decision only hold precedence over Federal District of Norther California and no where else.

The next step is appeal to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals before a panel of judges and maybe en banc, ie. the entire court.

After that the United States Supreme Court.

This isn’t something the Democrats wanted for the November mid-term elections because it will bring gay marriage and the Democrats support for gay marriage front and center.

What I do fear is that will embolden militant homosexuals and we will see increased attacks on the Catholic Church and the Mormons.

Terrible day for CA, for the country and for the world.

Mark my words, it will not be long before all Churches are legally forced to marry gays. People will argue that the 1st amendment will stop that, and I say nonsense…nothing will stop this agenda…nothing other than God.

It’s a sad day for all 50 states. “Couple” married in California moves to Idaho. They are still married.

This has to be struck down, either by the SCOTUS, or by Congress.

It won’t be. Can you not see we are reaping what we have sown and that the SC will affirm this evil decision?

[quote=decision]…evidence shows Proposition 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California Constitution the notion that opposite-sex couples are superior to same-sex couples. …
[/quote]

Wait a minute, I thought this was about “equal protection”…

Vaughn Walker is gay. Yet I like to think it played little part in this case.

What goes around comes around.

That is my reaction as well. Maybe this just proves that we are truly lost and are just sinking further into the abyss, God help us.

Then the new Congress has to take action. I can see this being a key in the new “Contract with America”, TBH.

I think we will see the world is more and more pagan. Once you say there is no God anything gos.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.