Proper address for a Bishop/Cardinal

I have a poll here on what proper address you give to priests and cardinals. I sometimes find myself being the only one calling a bishop “your excellency” and to a cardinal “your eminence”.

[quote=CathMass]I have a poll here on what proper address you give to priests and cardinals. I sometimes find myself being the only one calling a bishop “your excellency” and to a cardinal “your eminence”.
[/quote]

That’s what I do.

It’s my understanding that the proper address for a Bishop is “Your Excellence” and a Cardinal is “Your Eminence.” So, that’s how I address them… well Bishops… I’ve never actually met a Bishop who was also a Cardinal (I met Cardinal Maida back when he was Bishop Maida of Green Bay).

In most of the British isles a Bishop is addressed as ‘My Lord’ and the Archbishop is addressed as ‘Your Grace’.

My Bishop insists on being addressed as Father or just plain Bishop :frowning:

I answered the first three, since I would call my bishop “Your Excellency,” a cardinal “Your Eminence,” and a British archbishop or Eastern bishop “Your Grace.”

Usually I would address him as Your Excellency upon meeting him. Then address him as* Sir* in any extended conversation.

When our Bishop was introduced I think they said His Excellency, Bishop Mancell. Then in conversation it was Bishop Mancell. I have not met our new Bishop, but I would say, His Excellency, Bishop Kimiec.

Hello Everyone,

This is how it goes in Australia,

Bishop and Archbishop: Your (or His) Grace
Cardinal: Your (or His) Eminence or Excellency

I think we do it a British way here in Australia

God Bless

Matthew Baldwin

I would address our Bishop as “Your Excellency” and a Cardinal as “Your Eminence” and the Pope as “Your Holiness”. Unfortunately I never met a Cardinal or the Pope. I went to Giants Stadium when Pope John Paul II came to the US. We were in the nose bleed section but I felt really inspired knowing that I was in his Holiness’s presence. All we saw was a white dot among many colors and I was so happy just to be there and for the mass that the Pope said. :slight_smile:

My archbishop or other bishop: Your excellency, Archbishop if we speak long enough to have him ask to be called that.

My auxilliary bishops: the first time I met them i called them, “your excellence”, but i have actually got to know one of them (one of the perks of discerning a vocation, the auxilliary runs the vocations meetings and its a group of 6 men) and so by his request i just use “bishop” and the other is pretty humble and prefers “bishop” if that. then i use sir or eye contact in extended conversations.

never met a cardinal, but would use “your eminence”

I am actually decent friends with one of my dioceses bishops, so I just say to him, "hey bishop (name)!"
but the only times i see him are when i go to visit him and 'the rest of the gang’
He lives in a discernment house with the vocation director and some other seminarians (most of which are from other countries)
so, me and the Bishop there are friends, but i think he wouldnt want me addressing him as “your excellency, please pass the salt” you know?

Mordo

he told us to call him “Bishop” so that is how we address him.

[quote=Matthew P Baldw]Hello Everyone,

This is how it goes in Australia,

Bishop and Archbishop: Your (or His) Grace
Cardinal: Your (or His) Eminence or Excellency

I think we do it a British way here in Australia

God Bless

Matthew Baldwin
[/quote]

Actually, as far as I know in Australia it goes:

Bishop: My Lord/His Lordship
Archbishop: Your/His Grace
Cardinal: Your/His Eminence

But ususaly “Bishop N.” is most common.

I personally prefer Your Excellency or Your Grace, but we’re told by our priest to call him ‘Bishop’ so that’s what I do. Not sure which he prefers…I’ve only talked to him a few times and never thought to ask - next time I will!

You left off “never addressed a Bishop”.

I doubt I ever will, but I should know how to address him in the event that I do get to meet him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.