Proper interpratation of Romans 13?

(I tried this question elsewhere and didn’t get it cleared up) I was talking to one of my freinds some time ago and he asked, what the proper interpratation of Romans 13 was when it spoke of being submissive to the higher authorities. I had to stop and think of it. How far do we go in being obediant to the higher authorities? Where the Germans right? What should we do if we get conflicting orders from diffrent authorities (i.e. limits on children and enforced use of contraceptions from the Civil gov. like I heard china did some time back and the Churches stance on contraceptions and natural planning)?

[quote=Montie Claunch](I tried this question elsewhere and didn’t get it cleared up) I was talking to one of my freinds some time ago and he asked, what the proper interpratation of Romans 13 was when it spoke of being submissive to the higher authorities. I had to stop and think of it. How far do we go in being obediant to the higher authorities? Where the Germans right? What should we do if we get conflicting orders from diffrent authorities (i.e. limits on children and enforced use of contraceptions from the Civil gov. like I heard china did some time back and the Churches stance on contraceptions and natural planning)?
[/quote]

My understanding of this is to obey the laws and higher authorities so long as it isn’t leading you into sin. For me it is the church law first and then civil gov. And if the 2 agree all the better, if not I follow God not man. So if the law is you have to use abc I gues I will be locked up in jail because we use NFP. That’s just the way it was explained to me. Maybe I miss understood.

[quote=Montie Claunch](I tried this question elsewhere and didn’t get it cleared up) I was talking to one of my freinds some time ago and he asked, what the proper interpratation of Romans 13 was when it spoke of being submissive to the higher authorities. I had to stop and think of it. How far do we go in being obediant to the higher authorities? Where the Germans right? What should we do if we get conflicting orders from diffrent authorities (i.e. limits on children and enforced use of contraceptions from the Civil gov. like I heard china did some time back and the Churches stance on contraceptions and natural planning)?
[/quote]

Matthew 22:17-21 instructs us to give unto Caesar what is Caesar’s and unto God what is God’s. Romans 13 tells us that all authority comes from God, therefore it is safe to assume that God is above Governments. Knowing and understanding this, it would seem only logical that if Government crashes with the will of God, one should side with God. Remember, this is exactly why so many early Saints were martyred. They refused to put government ahead of God and though many were tortured and killed, they are with God now and have been and are still comforted.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.