Proper methods for meditating on the Mysteries of the Rosary?

Simply put: what are good ways to properly meditate on the Mysteries of the Rosary?

I usually meditate briefly on the Mystery at hand, say a small prayer, then pray the decade. After finishing the last Hail Mary of the decade I stop, meditate again, and then say the Glory Be and the Jesus Prayer.

Is this the appropriate method to use? Are there other, better ways of meditating?

Pax Tecum.

Its up to you to do it however you want.

Thank you.

And just to put this out there: what should I do to avoid becoming distracted, especially when I say the prayers mentally versus vocally?

Firstly think a little about the atmosphere in which you are praying - perhaps take the phone off the hook, close the door and so on. And think about what you’re actually doing while praying, you’re communicating with God.

I picture each individual ‘Our Father’, ‘Hail Mary’ or what have you as a present or a flower that I’m offering to him, or Our Lady or whoever, and picture them standing in front of me and me presenting it to them.

Some distractions are unavoidable with even the best intentions, though. I think the trick in such cases is to accept the distraction, offer it to God (possibly it’s Him reminding you of something you need to be praying about?) and let it roll in and out like a wave on the beach. Trying to consciously fight it doesn’t work.

Take heart - none of us are perfect pray-ers. That’s why we have the Holy Spirit to pray with and for us when we don’t know how.

I think it was St Bernard said something beautiful about a soul in prayer being like a dog out with its master - it may wander a little but always comes back when the Master calls it :slight_smile:

I always use this website:

rosary-center.org/howto.htm

when praying the mysteries in the rosary. THey have pages for the 4 different mysteries, with a list of things for each mystery to reflect on. It just so happens, there are 10 in a list for each mystery. So as I say each Hail Mary, I reflect on that part of the list for that mystery. Works pretty good to keep me from being distracted.

The most useful tip that I have found so far is to add a line commemorating the mystery to the Hail Mary’s of the mystery that I am meditating upon. For example, if it is the First Sorrowful Mystery: The Agony in the Garden, one can say:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus in Agony. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

This tip is mentioned in St. Louis Mary de Montfort’s The Secret of the Rosary montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html as well as descriptions on what to say and other helps. His Holiness Pope Paul VI said it used to be in widespread use but now has declined here:. Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM

Reflecting on Jesus and Mary throughout the mysteries by means of devotional reading that give deeper insight on what Jesus and Mary are going through during their lives has also been extremely helpful as it gives me more to think and meditate and feel. These two works have been the most helpful for learning more details about the lives, thoughts, and feelings of Jesus and Mary. Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us. On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors

St. Louis Mary de Montfort’s True Devotion to Mary montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html and the The Secret of the Rosary montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html probably also greatly inspire me to persist in the Rosary even when it is hard as it gives me more insight on why this particular devotion is so powerful.

Reading about St. Maximilian Maria, www.consecration.com, a saint devoted to Mary - he even renamed himself after her - gives me an ideal to strive for and reading about the Marian apparitions where the Virgin Mary strongly recommends the Rosary and the Chaplet of Seven Sorrows and the Legion of Mary and calls herself Our Lady of the Rosary also gives me reason to persist - particularly the Fatima, Portugal Kibeho, Rwanda query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9400E4D81738F93BA35757C0A96F958260 and Kyoto, Japan. I am also seriously considering joining and have made inquiries regarding local chapters of the Militia of the Immaculata , which has groups for teens as well as young adults, miyouth.org/ and the Legion of Mary - and also I believe provides a group setting for praying the Rosary and Daily Mass is also as well often a group setting for praying the Rosary.

May the Holy Spirit through the Immaculate Heart of Mary bless you greatly and graces us with the gifts that we most desperately need!

P.S. These are also wonderful Marian links:

Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm

P. P. S. :stuck_out_tongue: Other amazing prayers and a wonderful Rosary Confraternity site :slight_smile:
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm
Rosary Confraternity Enrollment rosary-center.org/nconform.htm (As Pope Leo XIII said in his encyclical on the Confraternity, *“Whenever a person fulfills his obligation of reciting the Rosary according to the rule of the Confraternity, he includes in his intentions all its members and they render him the same service many times over.” * Each member includes deceased fellow members as well; and thus he knows that in turn he will be included in the prayers of hundreds of thousands both now and hereafter.
Cathechism of the Catholic Church vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm
Litany of Humility ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Just who is this amazing Saint Maximilian Maria?

Polish Saint Maximilian Maria studied philosophy, theology, mathematics, and physics as a college student, before earning a doctorate in philosophy and a doctorate in theology in Rome, while suffering from tuberculosis. He became a priest, changed his name to Maria from Kolbe to venerate the Immaculate Heart of Mary, sheltered 2,000 Jews in his friary during the Holocaust, and when taken to the Auschwitz concentration camp offered to die in place of another man since that man had family and he did not as an abstinent fiar. During his time in the cell, he led the men in songs and prayer. Finally, after three weeks of dehydration and starvation, he was injected with carbolic acid and died. He is reported on the Jewish Virtual Library as Righteous Among the Nations. It shows that no matter how dire the situation God can continue to strengthen us. jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Kolbe.html.He founded Slaves of the Immaculata, www.consecration.com. More information: acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2005/09/st-maximilian-kolbe.html

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

Sometimes I put on Mel Gibson’s Passion of the Christ DVD and just keep doing decades over and over till the movie is over.

When I pray the Rosary I use different methods to help me with meditation and to keep my mind from wandering.

I use the little booklet “Spiritual Rosary” which has a short bible quote for each Hail Mary bead. I love this way of saying the Rosary.

Also, I use DVDs and/or pray the Rosary daily with Mother Angelica and her Nuns:nun2: and also the International Rosary which is prayed at 3:30 p.m. every day following “The Divine Mercy Chaplet” on EWTN.

I have a number of DVDs of the Blessed Rosary including the new one from EWTN “Rosary for Life” prayed by Father Joseph Mary.

I find it more beneficial to use the DVDs or the Spiritual Rosary booklet to pray the Rosary instead of doing spiritual reading and then praying the Rosary.

My mind wanders easily unless I keep myself in check.:o :blush:

:harp:

:thumbsup:

I printed out the pictures for each mystery and easily pray at the same time meditating on the pictures. It works really well for me.

I’m not sure if this is a “better” way of meditating… but it sure works for me!

I use 8x10 full color pictures of the Mysteries! Helps me to focus on the Mystery being prayed.

I don’t think there is one “best way.” Do what works for you and consider other suggestions. Et cum spiritu tuo.

As part of catechist training, I learned a method that works for me.
I add a word or phrase after “blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus___________” directly related to the mystery.

Joyous:
The Annunciation=Incarnate
The Visitation=Sanctifying
The Nativity=Emmanuel
The Presentation=Redeemer
Finding of Jesus in the Temple=Teaching

Luminous:
The Baptism in the Jordan=Baptized
The Wedding at Cana = Providing
The Proclamation of the Kingdom = Messiah
The Transfiguration = Transfigured
The Institution of the Eucharist = In the Eucharist

Sorrowful:
The Agony in the Garden=In the Garden
The Scouring at the Pillar=Scoured
The Crowning with Thorns=King of kings
The Carrying of the Cross= Taking my cross
The Crucifixion = Crucified

Glorious:
The Resurrection = Resurrected
The Ascension = Lord of Lords
The Descent of the Holy Spirit = Indwelling
The Assumption of Mary in to Heaven = Raising us up
The Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven = Prince of Peace

It also helps to begin each decade with a scriptural passage when possible. There are books available that provide a scriptural passage not only for each decade, but for each Hail Mary as well.

It seems that those who pray the rosary have as many versions of saying it as there are people. As I understand it, Our Lady said to meditate on the mysteries and I assume She really meant it. But there are a lot of catholics who “wish” not to meditate but instead choose to differ with Our Lady, saints and popes who have written a great deal about this subject. Why would She state the proper way of praying the rosary and then appear to be disregarded by catholics ( and this also includes many priests and bishops) who have decided for themselves that meditating on the mysteries is just one of many ways to say the rosary , all equal in merit? I think it’s sad that catholics do not abide in what Our Lady has asked for centuries.

It seems the methods (at least the ones listed on this thread) aren’t different ways of SAYING the Rosary. After all, we all use the same prayers, the same number of Hail Marys per decade, and the same 15 (or 20 for those who say the Luminous) Mysteries to be meditated upon, one per decade.

People here are simply discussing different ways of actually doing the meditation on the Mysteries. Mary didn’t leave specific instructions on the HOW of doing so, after all, so I don’t think that any particular METHOD of meditating would be contrary to her instructions.

She didn’t get so specific as to say ‘one must/cannot meditate by picking a scripture verse for each Hail Mary’ or ‘one must/cannot meditate by looking at a picture depicting each mystery’ or ‘one must/cannot meditate by concentrating on a word or two that sums up the heart of each mystery’.

I wouls say the only exception being my own comment about the flowers. But I didn’t mean that in the sense of that being ALL I did. I meant simply that I used that technique to concentrate on what I was doing WHILE I meditated on the mysteries (by means of a scripture verse for each Hail Mary, usually) at the same time.

:shrug:

Sorry LilyM, I wasn’t attacking you or anyone else here, it wasn’t my intention. Venting is the word that I would use. I am actually glad that a catholic forum has people who “do” meditate on the mysteries. I am finding out more and more that there are quite a few catholics who ignore Our Lady’s requests for meditation of the mysteries, as though it were small and insignificant, not worthy of their effort and time. Montfort’s sternly worded “Secrets…” is a testament to how serious it is . Montfort says to TRY to meditate and distractions will occur, it is only natural. What really irritated me was how cavalierly catholics totally disregard Mary’s asking of us catholics to meditate on Her Son’s life as well as Her own. I think there must be a profound reason why She has asked that of us. But I find out that even priests do not feel an obligation to please Our Lady.
Thanks for letting me add my two cents.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.