Proper name of the Church according to the bishop Cyril

“If you should be in foreign cities, do not simply ask where is the church, but where is the Catholic Church, for this is the proper name of this holy Mother of all.”
– Cyril, Bishop of Jerusalem, c. 347 AD

Orthodox claim the Church is the Orthodox Church and that “Orthodox Church” is the proper name of the Church. However, St. Cyril, who lived only two hundred years after the death of the Apostle John, says that “Catholic Church” is the proper name of the Church and that the Catholic Church is the Church of Christ. And as another bishop, St. Ignatius, who lived during the time of the Apostle John, says regarding following the bishops:

“See that you all follow the Bishop, as Christ does the Father, and the presbyterium as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as a command of God. Let no one do anything connected with the Church without the Bishop.”
– Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch, c. 111 AD

Two things:

1. He’s not just “Bishop” Cyril, but SAINT Cyril.

2. Next, Arianism was still a live issue in his day. “Catholic” simply meant “not Arian” at the time.

Correct on one.

What “Catholic” means.

False.

britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/177174/Eastern-Orthodoxy

Eastern Orthodoxy
Christianity
official name Orthodox Catholic Church

I see your Britannica and raise you an OrthodoxWiki.

The Orthodox Church is the Church founded by Jesus Christ and his apostles, begun at the day of Pentecost with the descent of the Holy Spirit in the year 33 A.D. It is also known (especially in the contemporary West) as the Eastern Orthodox Church or the Greek Orthodox Church. It may also be called the Orthodox Catholic Church, the Orthodox Christian Church, the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church, the Body of Christ, the Bride of Christ, or simply the Church.

If Orthodox could show anywhere where the term “Orthodox Catholic Church” is used by the Church Fathers as the proper name of the Church, they will have made their claim.

Even if a Roman Catholic could prove where the word ‘Catholic’ is used in the official title of the Latin Orthodox Church (that’s the official name of the Western Christians gathered around the bishop of Rome, a.k.a. the Pope) he wouldn’t have made his claim.

Funny how the Orthodox Church likes to call itself the Catholic Church when in fact it uses the name Orthodox Church for itself and for the Church in the West. Seems to me if the Church really wanted to call itself the Catholic Church, it would be using the name Catholic Church. Like, say, what the Catholic Church dose!

Orthodox means: correct (or true) faith. And catholic means:universal.

Claim made! :wink:

Claim unfounded. Show me one early Church Father who uses “Orthodox Catholic Church” as the name of the Church.

All Church Fathers made the claim that the Church teaches the true faith and is universal.

Claim verified.

You are simply attempting to pick another uncharitable fight with the Orthodox Catholic Church. Many of your threads have descended to this sad type of attack.

I have heard your straw man arguments before regarding “show me one Church Father…”.

What ends up happening is that someone comes along and dares someone to show where the Church was ever called Roman Catholic—and then it disintegrates further from there. Tis’ a pity. :frowning:

Have a great day!

Belief dosen’t make something real.

If you wish to run away from the issue, that is your choice. But it dose not make your claim any stronger.

Huh? :confused:

:rotfl: I am not running–just pointing out some realities.

PS–There is a recurring spelling error that I would like to bring to your attention. The word is “does”.

Blessings!

No, you’re using circular logic.

If an Orthodox really wants to defend his church, he will show which Church Father speaks of the Orthodox Catholic Church, using such a name as the proper name of the Church.

I, a Catholic, by the grace of God, have defended the Catholic Church by referencing a Church Father who has used Catholic Church as the proper name of the Church of Christ. I await the Orthodoxs’ defense.

No I’m not.

The Holy Orthodox Church has been defended for two thousand years by the holy bishops, priests, deacons, saints and martyrs.

Catholic means universal.

Your so-called defense is nothing but hatred.

Grace & Peace!

I don’t understand…is this a discussion on branding? Is it the conjecture of someone here that the Orthodox Churches, because they don’t appear to have a particular brand identity, do not therefore share in the reality to which that branding points?

Is this an exercise is post-modern semiotics–separating the reality of catholicity from its linguistic signifier, and then claiming that the reality cannot be present without that linguistic signifier?

Is it the point of this thread that the True Church can only be recognized by a particular adjective, a particular word, as opposed to the real presence of the Word?

In the end, is it even possible to be orthodox without being catholic?

Could someone please explain what’s going on here?

Under the Mercy,
Mark

All is grace and mercy! Deo gratias!

My defense is the Church Fathers. Do you really wish to call your fathers’ writings “hatred”?

The name of the Church isn’t a brand but an identity. Identity is important. It ties in with truth. Those who seek the truth honestly will want to know which Church is the Catholic Church.

Correction.** You** are twisting the meaning of the Church Fathers to spread your hate. How terrible. I am very sad for you. :frowning:

Yes, my brother in Christ. You have properly discerned what he is trying to do. I have seen this tactic before. It is unfortunate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.