Proper time to bow and to genuflect

During Mass when should I bow and when should i genuflect? or anytime i’m in a Catholic church for that matter.

There is no genuflecting during the mass. You genuflect to the tabernacle (if present) upon entering and leaving your pew, or if passing by the tabernacle. Just to clarify in case, genuflecting is right knee to the ground, different from kneeling.

During mass, you bow during the Creed at the words (By the power of the Holy Spirit, he was born of the virgin Mary and became man.)

Outside of mass, you bow when passing in front of the altar, or upon entering/leaving your pew if the tabernacle is not present (or empty, I think; this only happens on certain days).

Hope that helps (and is correct! someone correct me if I’m wrong!)

I also make a little gentle bow when the Jesus’ name is said. I learn this from some religious brothers who read the Readings at my old parish back in my country.

I pretty much agree, my understanding is inserted:

There is no genuflecting during the mass( except Christmas Mass during the creed) . You genuflect to the tabernacle (except Good Friday, Holy Saturday while it is empty) upon entering and leaving your pew. And bow if passing by the tabernacle.

During mass, you bow during the Creed at the words (By the power of the Holy Spirit, he was born of the virgin Mary and became man.)

Outside of mass, you bow when passing in front of the tabernacle.

that is my understanding

Outside of mass, you bow when passing in front of the tabernacle

I think genuflection is required here?

tim

i think i have it right this time:confused:

-]Outside of mass, you bow when passing in front of the tabernacle/-]

Ithink genuflection is required here?
tim

And on the Solemnity of the Annunciation.

On Good Friday and Holy Saturday, you may genuflect to the Holy Cross.

Those who do not kneel during the consecration should make a profound bow when the principal celebrant makes his genuflections.

A bow of the head is made when the three Divine Persons are named together and at the names of Jesus, of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and of the Saint in whose honor Mass is being celebrated.

tee

This is an excellent question with some great responses. I must say that I’ve seen bows and genuflection in all directions and at all times in church. It certainly is something that many people do not know the proper protocol.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.