Proper way to dispose of precious blood

I’m trying to find in the Rubrics some guidence on proper disposal of the precious blood after communion. I’ve always thought any of the precious blood left over after communion was supposed to be consumed either by the priest, deacon, or as a last resort, an extraordinary minister, and this was to be done in the sanctuary. Recently we’ve been instructed to take any remaining precious blood back into the sacristy and either consume or pour it down the sink designated for disposal of such elements. This just doesn’t seem right. Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

I think that there was a question in AAA about this, have a look for it.
I’m pretty sure that you’re not meant to use the special sink for pouring out the precious blood - that sink is for washing the chalice only in case there is still special blood in it after drinking, not for pouring it straight out.

The priest should drink the rest of the blood, add more water to the chalice, swivel around and drink it all again, to get anything that remains, then wipe the inside of the chailce with the special cloth - just in case - and then after mass, clean it in the special sink. That’s my understanding.

You have it correct flopfoot, though I am not sure if the priest must consume all the Precious Blood if it totals a v large amount. Certainly, they are only supposed to put enough wine in so that there is not much left over at the end. I.e just a few drops that can be simply consumed.

In Christ.

Andre.

[quote=StCsDavid]I’m trying to find in the Rubrics some guidence on proper disposal of the precious blood after communion. I’ve always thought any of the precious blood left over after communion was supposed to be consumed either by the priest, deacon, or as a last resort, an extraordinary minister, and this was to be done in the sanctuary. Recently we’ve been instructed to take any remaining precious blood back into the sacristy and either consume or pour it down the sink designated for disposal of such elements. This just doesn’t seem right. Any help you can offer is much appreciated.
[/quote]

I’m sure you will find what your looking for in RS as well as the GIRM. Pouring the precious Blood into the sacrarium is a grave offense. The sacrarium is used for the second rinse water when cleaning the chalice. The remaining Precious Blood must be consumed and the first rinse water is consumed. The same with the ciborium the first rinse water is transferred to an empty chalice and consumed.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]I’m sure you will find what your looking for in RS as well as the GIRM. Pouring the precious Blood into the sacrarium is a grave offense. The sacrarium is used for the second rinse water when cleaning the chalice. The remaining Precious Blood must be consumed and the first rinse water is consumed. The same with the ciborium the first rinse water is transferred to an empty chalice and consumed.
[/quote]

so Bro. Rich, I saw a priest take the chalice filled with Precious Blood (too much was poured into the chalice for communion) to the Tabernacle and place it inside. I have been wondering if that was the wrong thing to do, and what do you think happened to the Precious Blood after mass? I know this is off topic but I would really appreciate an answer to this question.

[quote=maryj]so Bro. Rich, I saw a priest take the chalice filled with Precious Blood (too much was poured into the chalice for communion) to the Tabernacle and place it inside. I have been wondering if that was the wrong thing to do, and what do you think happened to the Precious Blood after mass? I know this is off topic but I would really appreciate an answer to this question.
[/quote]

What happened to the Precious Blood? I hope it was consumed before it got spilled. You can reserve the Precious Blood in the tabernacle under certian circumstances for a person who is ill and cannot receive the Host. It must be used ASAP. Before a small amount (only as much as necessary) is placed in the taberncale it must be put into a sealed, spill proof container. The Precious Blood is NEVER reserved for used in the next Mass. As a matter of fact the Hosts are not supposed to be intentionally resreved for “the next Mass” either. They are there for the home bound, hospitalized and as Viaticum or for use when it is anticipated no priest will be available for a Mass of Obligation. (Sunday or Holy Day).

Oy vey. Looks like I’m going to need to do some education with our powers that be in our parish. Our priest has ordered us sacristans to always make sure there are two ceboriums full of consecrated hosts in the tabernacle for use in the next mass. Sadly, this isn’t the only way he plays fast and loose with the rubrics.

[quote=StCsDavid]Oy vey. Looks like I’m going to need to do some education with our powers that be in our parish. Our priest has ordered us sacristans to always make sure there are two ceboriums full of consecrated hosts in the tabernacle for use in the next mass. Sadly, this isn’t the only way he plays fast and loose with the rubrics.
[/quote]

They way it is supposed to work is that those persons in attendance should receive Hosts Consecrated at that Mass. Of course we cannot be perfect in our count so there may be some left over or some short. In which case the use of those in the taberncale or placing the extras in the tabernacle is just fine. But it should not be a large quantity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.