Proper way to greet the Pope

A group from our RCIA team is going to Rome (and other parts of Italy) and we may have an opportunity to meet the Pope. What are the proper gestures when greeting Our Holy Father? (Do you genuflect, kiss his ring, etc.?)

If you could ask the Pope one question…what would it be?

Also, if you have a private intention would like me to offer while I’m at St. Peters, Assisi, or Padua, please feel free to private e-mail me your request and I will carry it with me. Keep it simple, please.

Ciao

If you believe that the Pope is the Vicar of Christ and his ring represents that position then genuflect and kiss his ring. That is how I would greet the Holy Father.

I don’t think I would ask a question-just listen.

I hope you get the chance to meet with Pope Benedict XVI, but how blessed you are just to be able to go there!!

Not too sure about the genuflection. Kiss the ring, most certainly it shows great respect and loyalty. As you are kissing it you will also try to make a bow. Greet him as ‘Your Holiness’. A genuflection is reserved for God alone.

i would not ask him anything. I would simply thank him for all he is doing and tell him he has my constant prayers.

[quote=Fergal]Not too sure about the genuflection. Kiss the ring, most certainly it shows great respect and loyalty. As you are kissing it you will also try to make a bow. Greet him as ‘Your Holiness’. A genuflection is reserved for God alone.

i would not ask him anything. I would simply thank him for all he is doing and tell him he has my constant prayers.
[/quote]

Genuflection with a bend at the right knee is for God only. It is proper to genuflect with a bend at the left knee for a bishop.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.