Proper way to introduce Mass intention?

Does anyone know the proper way for the commentator to announce the Mass intention just before Mass begins? For example, should one say:

*“This morning’s Mass is offered for the repose the soul of Joe Smith” *
OR
“The intention of this morning’s Mass is for the repose of the soul of Joe Smith”

Or am I just splitting hairs and it doesn’t really matter? Thanks for any suggestions.

Don’t know if there are “official” rules for this, but as a practical matter I vote for the first version: less wordy, more natural sounding, and less opportunity for the commentator to trip over the wording when reading it.

I kinda agree but the words: “intention” and “offering” probably make a difference don’t they?:confused:

The first sentence (much more elegant, BTW) is really the definition of a Mass intention. No need to repeat the word, “intention,” when it is implied already.

Go with the first one! :thumbsup:

“This morning’s Mass is BEING offered for the repose the soul of Joe Smith”

or

“This morning’s Mass is BEING offered for the intentions of the Pope (or someone else)”

or just

“This morning’s Mass is BEING offered for Joe Smith”

I go with C
the intention does not have to be mentioned during the Mass as long as it is published, in the bulletin or somewhere else public.

In our Church the priest list the intention after the announcements. The usual form is:

Today the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is offered for XY

or at the and: for the intention of XY

LOL, technically you are correct but in reality a pastor would get irate complaints if the name wasn’t said during the Mass.

At Sunday Masses (other than the one for the parishioners) we add it to the intercessions, "For Mr X for whom this Mass is offered at the request of Mr. & Mrs Y, we pray to the Lord. " It’s not what I’d do but it’s what was being done for years before I came here and I’m sure it will continue after I’m gone.

And yes, we’ve had many complaints when a name wasn’t mentioned at a daily Mass even though it was published in the bulletin. As far as the donors were concerned, if the name wasn’t mentioned at Mass then the Mass they’d requested hadn’t been celebrated.

EP1 allows him to do this. I don’t see a similar provision in EP2, EP3, or EP4.

[quote=puzzleannie;7654942the intention does not have to be mentioned during the Mass as long as it is published, in the bulletin or somewhere else public.
[/QUOTE]

Our Archbishop is against announcing it, although he hasn’t forbidden it. I have to say, I’m unhappy about it being mentioned at the start of Mass (or during it, for that matter) as it looks like the person has bought the Mass. The Mass is for everyone, surely.

Intentions aren’t announced in our parish but are listed in the porch.
[/quote]

Its usually done by using the line(s) for “masses for the dead” in EP 2 or 3.

At our parish, the song leader or commentator will remind people to silence their cell phones, say for whom the mass is offered, then announce the “gathering song”. This all takes about 30 seconds and then the music for the processional begins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.