Prophecy in Daniel 2: The last Empire

In Daniel Chapter 2, King Nebuchadnezzar had a dream that was interpreted by Daniel when all the other wise men could not.
The interpretation seems to draw a chronology of world powers over time. According to the interpretation of the image with metal parts, the head of Gold represented the Babylonian Empire at that time.
My question is, what are the other great Empires represented in the image, and which is the Last Empire before the end of the ages?

[quote="Croc, post:1, topic:348405"]
In Daniel Chapter 2, King Nebuchadnezzar had a dream that was interpreted by Daniel when all the other wise men could not.
The interpretation seems to draw a chronology of world powers over time. According to the interpretation of the image with metal parts, the head of Gold represented the Babylonian Empire at that time.
My question is, what are the other great Empires represented in the image, and which is the Last Empire before the end of the ages?

[/quote]

As I understand it this is not a prophecy about the end of the world, but a prophecy about the coming of Christ. So the first kingdom is Babylon, the second is Meddo-Persia, the third is the Greeks and the fourth is Rome. The Iron empire that ruled the whole world with a fist of iron, that marched under the iron eagle, and whose reach was so powerful that her Emperor could command the whole world be taxed, and so inadvertently cause a baby to be born in Bethlehem who would one day shatter all the kingdoms of the world.

Why do you ask?

God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.