Prophesying (Perry Stone)

Long.story.short.

I’m the only Catholic in my office and everyone else is Protestant. My co-workers are all obsesseed with an Evangelical named Perry Stone. They rave about him non-stop, even watching his videos in the office. I watched a glimpse and it’s almost like that of a charlatan of some sorts. He was talking of dreaming and he saw fire and a building fall, very generic things.

Needless to say they are all in love with him and hang on his every (and latest) word. I’ve looked into the Bible on this and don’t find more than it saying “test them” and “know by their fruits” and such.

What do people think about this sort of thing?

I think I know this person. Is he the one who comments on almost every article at Catholic Answers in a way that really riles up Catholics? Lord, have mercy on his soul! I’d like to know what others think of him as well (commented on this thread to subscribe and see others’ views); I don’t think I’d want to search this person as I’m already pretty stressed from schoolwork haha

I may have missed this CA association, but he does promote the sale of his “communion kits”. According to these co-workers of mine, you pretty much take this kit and pray and eat the “bread” all day and night. It’s based off some interpretation of his regarding Christ in Gethsemane.

He seems to have new videos every Wednesday and they all go crazy over them. Additionally, my wife’s cousin who is Pentecostal and lives in Tennessee, drives hours to his “Omega Center” to hear his speeches and supposed prophesy.

I suppose it’s just that I hear this name all the time now and these ridiculous claims of prophesying the future. Naturally, I’m asked why I don’t believe what he says and so on and so forth. I tell people that the only messages I acknowledge are Vatican approved.

This is the first I heard of him, so I did a quick youtube search and this short video on “How to Take Communion”. youtube.com/watch?v=ylqsbisOVio

Initially it almost sounds very Catholic. Receiving communion heals spiritually, physically, etc. After eating the unleavened bread the other person in the film says, “you just ate the body of Christ. You are holding the blood of Christ”(1:20 marker). Wow! that sounds Catholic. Then at the 1:40 marker, he offers a prayer to the Father stating “…we thank you for the representation (not re-presentation) of the blood of Jesus.” This completely really contradicts what was just said 20 seconds earlier. So this actually attributes to just normal bread, the healing power of God. This is exactly what Catholics get accused of except that Catholics believe that after transubstantiation through the consecration it truly is the body and blood of Christ and no longer bread and wine.

What he is advocating is pure superstition if not idolatry. If your friends really believe his teaching on this, invite them to discuss it more with you so that they can hopefully truly receive him in the sacrament of the Eucharist.

As for the prophecies, IMHO too many people have itching ears and are willing to follow anybody when that “prophet” speaks their own similar ideas. From what I see from him, he just does what many others do, which is takes current events and then reads these events back into the scriptures. Not too difficult for anyone to do that. I’ll leave it at that.

Is he still in the Rapture business? I remember a few ago he was considered one of the authorities on it and sold lots of publications promoting it.

This is traditional Pentecostal teaching. We don’t really have a memorialist view of the Supper since we do believe it can be a point of contact for healing, forgiveness, etc. It’s not attributing God’s power to normal bread. If someone eats and drinks in faith, then the Holy Spirit is at work within that person.

The bread and wine (or grape juice) does not change, but the Holy Spirit honors the obedience of the communicant and the eating becomes an act of faith that the Holy Spirit works through.

I’ve never heard of Perry Stone. I have heard other “end time” prophecies and it is easy to be carried away by a “cult of the prophet.” It’s okay to be skeptical.
As Catholics we have a different understanding of The Book of Revelation than many of our non-Catholic brothers and sisters. As your co-workers look at events in the news, it’s understandable as to why they may be swayed by a charismatic leader. It is good that you are willing to discern whether or not there is any veracity in his visions.
As Catholics, we look not only at the circumstances in which we live when we read scripture, we also look to Tradition and the teaching Authority of the Church. Is what is being said in conformity with not only circumstance, but with the Church teaches? If not, then it is to be rejected. St. Paul tells us to reject that which is not in conformity to the gospel he preaches.
Do the prophesies bring peace or worry? The Book of Revelation was actually written during a time of persecution as a source of comfort for Christians. That is the reason for the symbolic language.
Naturally as the only Catholic it would be prudent to keep your thoughts mostly to yourself or to at least be judicious in how you do express them.
The Catholic Church does embrace authentic charisms including prophecy. Prophecy does not necessarily predict the future since the Old Testament has been fulfilled in the New. Prophecy is defined as the Holy Spirit speaking through a person. Most often those words will be words of encouragement, or admonition, leading hearers to a closer relationship with our Lord.

That’s all well and good. The problem is despite the fact as you say “The bread and wine does not change…”, in that short video he clearly says, “you just ate the body of Christ. You are holding the blood of Christ”.

One of those positions isn’t true. Either it is the body and blood of Christ, or…the bread and wine are just bread and wine.

I can understand a faith based communion as you state it… but not at the same time as claiming that it is the body and blood of Christ.

Why can’t both be true? Jesus said “this is my body” and “this is my blood” yet the bread and the wine remain the same. Why must we resort to a philosophical explanation such as Transubstantiation? Why must we explain it at all?

It is Christ’s body and blood pneumatologically. As well known Pentecostal teacher Nathaniel Van Cleave once wrote:

We seek a deeper spiritual reality as a present moment [of] experience. We do not believe superstitiously that the bread and wine actually become the physical body and blood of Christ, nor do we believe that there is any virtue in the physical elements themselves apart from their power as figures to point us to the deeper reality which they typify. We do believe, however, that an act of faith in partaking of the elements results in the real operation of the Spirit in us to strengthen us in the inner man and to heal us in our physical bodies. We, furthermore, believe that the reality which the Lord’s Supper signifies is our “daily bread” of which we partake day by day.

Or as Cleveland, Ohio pastor D. W. Kerr wrote:

Faith can grasp mysteries that are unexplainable. Faith enters into a realm far beyond the sphere of understanding, and can extract the good and joy out of what soars high above our reasonings. We have no need to preach a doctrine of consubstantiation nor of transubstantiation; we just receive Jesus’ words and act on them. “Whoso eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life.”

Or as William A. Cox wrote:

It is not an empty service, it does not mean simply being served with a little bread and wine on the first Sunday of the month— it is a means of fellowship with God, through Jesus, by the Spirit, and we have a right to come to it expecting God to meet us. Indeed we have a right to expect to draw so near to God that whatever our need may be at that moment, whether spiritual or physical, He will supply it. . . . when we eat of the divine body of the Lord Jesus, the living Bread which came down from heaven. . . He quickens the spiritual man; He revives the physical; He heals our diseases, and gives us strength to live by. By eating Jesus, the Bread of life, we have life in our physical bodies. . . . if we eat the flesh of Jesus, and drink His blood, we shall live by Him. So when you want to be healed, just take a great big meal of Jesus.

They are symbols, but they are symbols that the Holy Spirit works through and through which the power of the Christ’s atonement is mediated to those who discern the Lord’s body in faith. So yes, from our perspective, it is proper for a believer to say that he is partaking of the body and blood of the Lord when he takes communion if he does so in faith.

Hopefully they will knuckle down to some work.

Bishop Stone is not actually a prophet. That is, he does not hold the office of a prophet. His teachings are dirived from study of the scriptures and Jewish writings and communication with senior rabbis of Israel. However, he claims to receive prophetic dreams, usually relating to warnings for America. His weekly program “Mannafest” is carried on every Christian Network. If you have cable or satalite, there are multiple opportunities to view it almost every day. His father was remarkable pastor,and was a popular guest on the show.

I find the bulk of his teaching to be biblical. I agree with his teaching that the antichrist will come from the Islamic world. I disagree with his teaching on the rapture.

If anyone would like to hear someone who is a recognized prophet i would suggest Cindy Jacobs (God’s Generals) or Bobby Conner(The Shepherds Rod)

Shalom;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.