Prophet like Unto Moses : here we go

One of the most used prophecies by Muslims about Muhammad is this passage of Deuteronomy.

Here are some comparisons i quoted about Jesus and Moses:

Both :

1-talked to God face to face

2-were Jews

3-During the time of Moses’ birth, the Scriptures reveal that the Pharaoh of Egypt made a decree that all newborn male children of Israel would be killed.Likewise with Jesus.

4-Exodus 2:2-6,10 reveals that Moses’ mother sent him into Egypt when he was three months of age. It was there where he was kept safe. Likewise with Jesus.

5-gave people bread from Heaven

6-fasted 40 days in the wilderness

7-offered to die on behalf on peoples sins

8-According to Deuteronomy 9:10-11 it states that Moses introduced a covenant relationship between God and the children of Israel when he brought the Ten Commandments down from the mount.This covenant that God made with the sons and daughters of Jacob was sealed with blood. Exodus 24:8 And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words.” Likewise with Jesus.

9-performed miracles

10-were priests

11-Moses appointed seventy rulers over Israel, Jesus anointed seventy disciples to teach the nations

12-As Moses stretched his hand over the Red Sea to command it, Jesus rebuked the Sea of Galilee and quieted the waves.

13-Both of their faces shone with the glory of heaven - Moses on Mount Sinai and Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration.

Area of Comparison between Moses and Muhammad :
1-Usual birth : as is the birth of all humans.

2-Family Life : Married, children: common to all humans

3-Usual Death : all humans as well

4-Career Prophet/Statesman

5-Forced Emigration (in adulthood).

6-Writing dawn of Revelation: in their lifetime : applies to many others

these are the ones i found on some Islamic links.

Compare them with the ones of Jesus. Isnt it clear yet that what Jesus shared with Moses was shared by nobody else whereas things Mohammad shared with Moses are common to all people?

Now this was John’s testimony when the Jews of Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was.
He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, "I am not the Messiah."
They asked him, "Then who are you?
* Are you Elijah?**"
He said, “I am not.”
"Are you the Prophet?"
He answered, "No."
Finally they said, "Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?"
John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, "I am the voice of one calling in the desert, ‘Make straight the way for the Lord.’ "
Now some Pharisees who had been sent questioned him, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?"
“I baptize with water,” John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know.* (John 1:19-26)

No man has seen God at any time. God is revealed in the Only Begotten which comes from the bosom of the Eternal And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?” And he did not deny, but confessed, "I am not the Messiah."
They asked him, “What then? Are you Elias?” And he said, “I am not.” “Are you the prophet of whom Moses spoke?” And he answered, “No.” Then they said to him, “Who are you? That we may give an answer to those who sent us. What do you say for yourself?” And he said, " I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness. Make straight the way of the holy One, as said the prophet Isaiah."
Those who were sent there by the Pharisees asked him, "Why do you baptize then, if you are not that Messiah, nor Elias, neither that prophet of whom Moses spoke?"
John answered, “I baptize with water; but there stands one among you, whom you don’t know. He will baptize with water and with fire. It is He who is coming after me, but is preferred before me, He whose shoes’ latchet I am not worthy to untie.”
(Nazirenes 8:4-7)

The Messiah and the Prophet described in Deuteronomy are not the same person, so it’s not Jesus. I won’t push Muhammad on anyone, as firstly I deem trying to ‘prove’ which religion is right by comparing prophecy fulfillment is flawed (since they can be interpreted anyway one wishes) and that the identity of this one is inconclusive. That the Deuteronomy Prophet and the Messiah are completely different characters is conclusive however.

Kadaveri:
I fail to see how your quotes prove your claim.
You have shown that John the Baptist denied that he (John himself) was the Prophet. He also denied being the Messiah…
You have not shown that John in any way denied a connection between the Prophet of Deuteronomy, and Jesus.

Kadaveri, if iam not mistaken, you are saying that since the Jews differentiated between the Messiah and the prophet, they must not be the same person?

but what about thinking as well that Elijah will come again?

so you are actually basing your conclusion on a misunderstanding of Jews that the prophet and Messiah are not the same and that Elijah will come in a different person.

But here is John again saying that the Propher IS the Messiah:

“Philip found Nathanael and said to him, ‘We have found him of whom Moses in the Law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.’” John 1:45

If you believed Moses, you would believe me;** for he wrote of me**. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?’" John 5:46-47

this is not the only erroneous belief shown by Jews regarding the Messiah so what makes you assume they were right in thinking the messiah and prophet are 2 different people and that Elijah will actually come as another person?

It is clear the Bible says with no equivocation Jesus is that prophet. But the Quran says it is Muhammad. One of them must be wrong so we are presenting the arguments to see who is really wrong.

if you are so sure were correct in their understanding, then the prophet to come as an Israelite not Ishmaelite *is *conclusive as well because the Jews asked John, an Israelite, if he were the prophet. Which means that the passage is conclusive the Quran *is *wrong.

LUKE 16:16 - “THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS WERE UNTIL JOHN (THE BAPTIST)”

The above was spoken by Jesus Himself which effectively obliterates anybody’s claim as a prophet. Whether Jesus is the prophet or not is not my point here. My point is, after John the Baptist, there are no more prophets. Anybody who claims he is a prophet is a FALSE PROPHET. Muhammad of Islam is therefore a prophet of evil. And its really not hard to see this, cos the man raped women, killed people, looted caravans and justified sex with biologically underaged girls as young as 9 years old. Not to mention, many of his people are today perpetrators of evil.

you already know by now that anything that does not suit them is considered corrupt. So let us hear what are the unique things that only Moses and Muhammad shared and compare them to Jesus. Maybe this time they will realize, when things are put under their eyes, that Mohammad resembles Moses in the same way my father resembles him.

I thought about one this morning, although it is a stretch.

Moses was certainly an educated man.

Jesus could read and write and knew the scriptures as well as the laws.

Mohammed was illiterate and not a man of education.

Again, it is a stretch, but it is a normal, physical way they are similar.

My list is not complete. Your point could be as well number 14. Any other comparions are surely welcome.

Prophet Moses (pbuh) brought a law i.e. Mosaic laws.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) brought a law i.e. Shariah.

What law did Prophet Jesus (pbuh) bring?

Fulfillment of the law

When Prophet Jesus (pbuh) returns to the world in the not-too-distant(?) future, he will indeed fulfill Shariah law.

After all, what other divine law is there that is universal and comprehensive enough to effectively govern and administer all of humanity?

The law of God has already been fulfilled.

Oh yeah, I forgot.

Prophet Jesus (pbuh) will return to the world before the Last Day.

Both Prophet Moses (pbuh) and Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) will not.

many others will not return so it is not something shared by only Moses and Muhammad.

he will come to fulfill the sharia, maybe start wars, kill people, rob caravans, kill those who mock him, take a dozen women…our discussion is not about the Islamic Issa.

We are talking about Jesus according to NT, and Muhammad according to Quran, to see which one is the prophet like unto Moses so both of us must present similarities between ONLY Jesus and Moses (not the rest of humanity) to see which one is like Moses.

The arguments presented by Muslims are shared not only with Moses but with bilions of humans so its time to present things common only to Moses and Muhammad if there are any, gather the info, and assess.

Put in mind that the first criteria is talking to God face to face with eyewitnesses. Did Muhammad meet it?

Let us cut to the chase folks.

Christians assign divinity to Jesus (pbuh), do they not?

That being the case, how on earth can they then turn around and say that he is the “Prophet like unto Moses”?

Do Christians assign divinity to Moses (pbuh) as well??

15-Away from his own land, we read of Moses, “And he sat down by a well” (Ex. 2:15).
The only time we read of the Lord Jesus seated by the well, was when He was outside Israel’s borders, in Samaria (John 4:4, 6).

16:Moses wrought many wonders, but it is most striking to observe that his first two miraculous signs were power over the serpent, and power over leprosy (Ex. 4:6-9). So after Christ began His public ministry, we read first of His power over Satan (Matthew 4:10, 11), and then His power over leprosy (Matthew 8:3).

17-Moses’ return to his own land. In Exodus 4:19 we read, “And the Lord said unto Moses in Midian, Go, return into Egypt: for all the men are dead which sought thy life”.
The antitype of this is found in Matthew 2:19, “An angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, saying, Arise, and take the young Child and His mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young Child’s life”

18:So fiercely did the Hebrews oppose Moses that, on one occasion, they were ready to “stone” him (Ex. 17:4). Compare it to what we read about Jesus in John 8:59, 10:31.

(repeated for emphasis): Moses supplicates God on their behalf, saying “Oh, this people have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold. Yet now, if Thou wilt forgive their sin—; and if not, blot me, I pray Thee, out of Thy book which Thou hast written” (vv. 31:32). How this reminds us of Him who “having loved His own which were in the world, He loved them unto the end” (John 13:1)

19:His Washing his Brethren with Water. “And Moses brought Aaron and his sons, and washed them with water” (Lev. 8:6).

John 13:5: “After that He poureth water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet”!

20:“So Moses finished the work” (Ex. 40:33).
“I have finished the work which Thou gavest Me to do” (John 17:4).

21- His Anointing of God’s House. “And Moses took the anointing oil (the O. T. emblem of the Holy Spirit), and anointed the tabernacle and all that was therein” (Lev. 8:10). Carefully compare Acts 2:1-3, 33.

22-His Death was for the benefit of God’s people. “It went ill with Moses for their sakes” (Ps. 106:32); “But the Lord was wroth with me for your sakes” (Deut. 3:26).

Jesus’ cross.

we do believe Jesus was a man.

It is not a chase. It is presenting arguments to see which one holds water.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.