Prophetic gift in the Catholic Church?

In 1 Corinthians 12: 1-11 it lists the spiritual gifts. Are these gifts active in the Catholic Church today? And how is the gift of prophecy lived out in the Catholic Church today? Who were some of the prophetic voices in recent Catholic history and currently in the Church today? I considered Pope John Paul II a prophetic voice but who are others? Thank you and God bless!

“Prophecy” means to speak a Divine Truth on behalf of God. All Christians partake of this particular gift and ministry anytime they say, “Jesus is Lord.” Some exercise this gift in more extraordinary ways. JP2 is one good example. Some might even say that many regular members of this Forum do likewise.

[quote=MichaelKelly]In 1 Corinthians 12: 1-11 it lists the spiritual gifts. Are these gifts active in the Catholic Church today? And how is the gift of prophecy lived out in the Catholic Church today? Who were some of the prophetic voices in recent Catholic history and currently in the Church today? I considered Pope John Paul II a prophetic voice but who are others? Thank you and God bless!
[/quote]

Hi MichaelKelly!

I believe the spiritual gifts are very much active in the church today! I know a few people who have the gift of Tongues and who have had visions. I am puzzled by people’s reactions when they learn of people who have been given these gifts. They seem to doubt right away and condem them, saying that that can’t be, it must be from the Devil. That God doesn’t speak to us today- that only happened to the saints and the prophets of old.

Well, let’s look at the saints and the phrophet’s of old. They were ordinary people like you and me. God took the initiative and spoke. He worked with them through their fears and doubts and they trusted, then doubted again, then after reassurence from God, trusted once more. There was nothing special about them, except that they trusted God.

I agree certainly, that these claims must be investigated and prayed over, and Our Lord has given us guidlines to discern authentic manifiestations of His gifts in Scripture.
When God speaks, the Devil is sure to redouble his efforts to draw people away from Our Father’s Voice. I don’t doubt the God bestows these gifts in our age. He has done so for all of history, in every age. God has promsied to watch over His Bride and to never leave Her. Prophets are just one way that God has chosen to guide His People.

[quote=MichaelKelly]In 1 Corinthians 12: 1-11 it lists the spiritual gifts.
(1)…** Are these gifts active in the Catholic Church today?** And how is the gift of prophecy lived out in the Catholic Church today? Who were some of the prophetic voices in recent Catholic history and currently in the Church today? I considered Pope John Paul II a prophetic voice
(2)…** but who are others?** Thank you and God bless!
[/quote]

(1)… sadly, not enough !
(2)…It is quite possible that you are one of the others.

"The prophet, on the other hand, speaks to men for
their upbuilding,
their encouragement,
their consolation.
1 cor.14:3

“All who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.”

That means that if you enjoy speaking to a person for
their upbuilding, their encouragement, or their consolation …I would say you are a prophet
or God has his eye on you to form you into a prophet .if only you yield your body at the Altar to Him as in Rom 12:1 and Rom 6:13

one who aspires to be a prophet must “Do not stifle the Spirit.
Do not despise prophesies. Test everything; retain what is good.”
1 Thes.5:19-21

1 Cor.2:7-16 is a map and key to enter into “THE GIFTS” …
prayerfully, humbly, of course. :smiley:

“I should like it if you all spoke in tongues, but I much prefer that you prophesy…” 1 Cor. 14:5

Gusano

[quote=MichaelKelly]In 1 Corinthians 12: 1-11 it lists the spiritual gifts. Are these gifts active in the Catholic Church today? And how is the gift of prophecy lived out in the Catholic Church today? Who were some of the prophetic voices in recent Catholic history and currently in the Church today? I considered Pope John Paul II a prophetic voice but who are others? Thank you and God bless!
[/quote]

siena.org/

This org gives parish missions on the gifts of the spirit. They are great! Every parish has all of the gifts present in their members, this group gives the parishes the tools to evangelize and put the gifts to work.

I personally knew a Catholic with the gift of prophesy - he had a lot of special gifts. The Mass would almost put him in ecstasy.

[quote=Jennifer123]siena.org/

This org gives parish missions on the gifts of the spirit. They are great! Every parish has all of the gifts present in their members, this group gives the parishes the tools to evangelize and put the gifts to work.

I personally knew a Catholic with the gift of prophesy - he had a lot of special gifts. ** The Mass would almost put him in ecstasy.**
[/quote]

:o
For a moment there, I almost thought you were writing about me.
:smiley:

gusano

Gusano - maybe I was!! :smiley:

I found a better link that has info on the spiritual gifts…

siena.org/spgifts.htm

[quote=Jennifer123]Gusano - maybe I was!! :smiley:

I found a better link that has info on the spiritual gifts…

siena.org/spgifts.htm
[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I copied it and my daughter grabbed it (after I read it)…because she saw that it comes fromThe Dominicans !

I attended a “Called and gifted workshop” here in Spokane , I think it was Feb 2004…very good…very effective.

Thanks again

gusano

Thanks everyone!

I must say I was extremely excited about the posts. Very informative and based on Scripture! I didn’t expect that…forgive me for selling my Catholic brothers and sisters short! :thumbsup:

…those web sites are wonderful! They should keep me busy for awhile! It is amazing how many Catholic resources are out there and how these forums “get the word out.” Thanks folks! :tiphat:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.