prophets

what is the definition of prophets?
Are there prophets nowadays?

Sorry, if this sounds silly & stupid.

Not silly or stupid… Only questions like that are the ones that we don’t ask. :slight_smile:

Are there prophets today? Certainly, there were prophets in the early church.

Here’s the dictionary definition:

–noun

1. a person who speaks for God or a deity, or by divine inspiration.
  2. (in the Old Testament)
    a. a person chosen to speak for God and to guide the people of Israel: Moses was the greatest of Old Testament prophets.
    b. (often initial capital letter) one of the Major or Minor Prophets.
    c. one of a band of ecstatic visionaries claiming divine inspiration and, according to popular belief, possessing magical powers.
    d. a person who practices divination.
  3. one of a class of persons in the early church, next in order after the apostles, recognized as inspired to utter special revelations and predictions. 1 Cor. 12:28.
  4. the Prophet, Muhammad, the founder of Islam.
  5. a person regarded as, or claiming to be, an inspired teacher or leader.
  6. a person who foretells or predicts what is to come: a weather prophet; prophets of doom.
  7. a spokesperson of some doctrine, cause, or movement.
    [Origin: 1150–1200; ME prophete < LL prophēta < Gk prophtēs, equiv. to pro- pro-2 + -phētēs speaker, deriv. of phánai to speak]

See here what St Peter proclaimed on the day of Pentecost. Acts 2: 17: `And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams;
18: yea, and on my menservants and my maidservants in those days I will pour out my Spirit; and they shall prophesy. " and then look at this from Acts 17. "8: On the morrow we departed and came to Caesare’a; and we entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him.
9: And he had four unmarried daughters, who prophesied. "

Then St. Paul discourses on these things in 1st Corinthians 12, 13, and 14.

12:3: Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking by the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus be cursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except by the Holy Spirit.
4: Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit;
5: and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord;
6: and there are varieties of working, but it is the same God who inspires them all in every one.
7: To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
8: To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit,
9: to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
10: to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
11: All these are inspired by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills. and "27: Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.
28: And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, then healers, helpers, administrators, speakers in various kinds of tongues.
29: Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?
30: Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
31: But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way. "then in chapter 13:2: And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing…8: Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.
9: For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect; " The in chpater 14 he says, “1: Make love your aim, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy.” Please read all of those three chapters so that you have a good contextual understanding of what Paul is saying. It’s important.
Just bear in mind that no private revelation can ever change or contradict the doctrines already revealed.
Pax tecum,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.