Propitiation- Catholic Views of it?

A current Reformed ex Catholic private messaged me on social media recently and we have gone back and forth for hours. I was doing well, until he brought up propitiation, which is something that I’d never heard of and when I looked it up it didn’t give me the correct definition. He said it’s the belief that the wrath of God was subject to Christ on the Cross, at first I thought it sounded right, but what little information I found the Catholic Church does not believe this, that the “wrath” was brought onto Christ…from what I could tell. I’m confused. He says he has scripture to back it up, but I told him I’d read into it some more, because I’ve never heard anything in depth said about it. Help?

Also, the scripture and theology to back this up…thanks :o

Thank you for sharing this topic, here is an earlier CAF link discussion that may be helpful:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=546856

Our Father, Who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace.
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit:
As it was in the beginning,
is now,
and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen.

This article should answer your questions: calledtocommunion.com/2010/04/catholic-and-reformed-conceptions-of-the-atonement/

Thank you both! I get it now, before I was completely lost.

:slight_smile:

Basically, there are two views of the Cross. First, the Catholic/Biblical model, where Christ makes atonement for our sins. Second, the ManMade/Protestant model, where the Father pours out His Wrath on Jesus. Though Protestants claim to follow Scripture, NOWHERE does Scripture speak of Jesus receiving the Father’s Wrath.

The links provided above do a good job of addressing this.

Propitiation is the act of seeking mercy. You will find it in Luke 18:13. Have mercy on me a sinner.

Propitiation was removed from some protestant theology systematically, and in its place was inserted God’s unconditional already merited mercy, which led to such things as once saved always saved, direct passage to heaven since purgatory can no longer exist within the framework.

Since Vatican II propitiation has been used less and less probably because of the confusion that is tied up in the word by protestants.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.