6. Many devotions

Cons:

1. Papacy is too overblown
  2. Too much politics
  3. Too controlling
  4. Priesthood seems dysfunctional
  5. Confusion since Vatican 2
  6. Promises of Christ unfullfilled

I’ve been reconsidering my faith. These are some of the pros and cons. I might stay in the Church inspite of my doubts. Or I might leave.

[quote=HumbleObedience]Pros:

1. A church in every town
  2. 2000 year history of mysticism
  3. Strong theological tradition
  4. Body and Blood of our Lord
  5. Daily Mass
  6. Many devotions
    [/quote]

All right, but how about:
7) Founded by Christ himself
8) Fullness of truth resides within it
9) Salvation assured to those faithfully practicing the Faith
10) Promised by Christ to:
a) be led into all truth by the Holy Spirit
b) withstand the gates of hell itself.

Cons:

1. Papacy is too overblown

In what way? Don’t kid yourself. Every pastor in every corner Evangelical church behaves as if he were the Vicar of Christ, even though he has been given no such authority by Christ.

1. Too much politics

And you didn’t expect a world wide organization made up of men not to have politics? And you don’t expect to find politics in any other denomination? Once again, don’t kid yourself. The difference is, the Church is BOTH human and divine because it is the Body of Christ, therefore, no matter what happens it cannot stray in matters of faith and morals. What other Christian body can claim that with a straight face?

1. Too controlling

If it’s too controlling why are dissenters not put on the rack? The Church has always functioned by the honor system, and assumes good will unless it can be proven otherwise. So, when dissenters take advantage of that kind of openness who do you think is controlling whom, or rather attempting to/thinking they are?

1. Priesthood seems dysfunctional

It’s always been dysfunctional because it is made up of flawed human beings. And you think Protestant ministers have it all together and are all angels of light?

1. Confusion since Vatican 2

And who is to blame for that? Those who long desired to gut the Church’s teachings to go along with the world in the “spirit of Vatican II.” Hey, it isn’t the first time it’s been tried (remember the Arian heresy that nearly swamped the Church?) and, if Jesus delays coming soon, it won’t be the last. Besides, do you see unity in the Protestant world? What, with a new denomination or sect being for every day?

1. Promises of Christ unfulfilled

What promises of Christ unfulfilled? And who in the Protestant world has fulfilled them, do you think? None that I know of and I was involved in several of them of different types for the first 35 years of my life. It was only in the Church that I saw any fulfillment of Christ’s promises, instead of man-made philosophies posing as fulfilled promises.

I’ve been reconsidering my faith. These are some of the pros and cons. I might stay in the Church inspite of my doubts. Or I might leave.

Stay for love of Jesus and his truth. Go if you want to believe that the Church blew it, God alone knows when in history. Every Protestant denomination thinks it was when they started–big surprise!

I would never leave the Church for any Protestant church. I would only leave if I thought it was too destructive to my quest for God. Right now I’m on the fence. I’m starting to think it’s a dying religion and that God has moved his spirit elsewhere, or that something new will be happening.

HO - I know you were reading Austin83’s thread :smiley: . Go back and re-read it. It will remind you of lots of reasons why to stay Catholic :slight_smile: And if you still need more - I’m sure there will be many here to give you some!

Peace be with you!

I’d try to answer, but Della has made a better case than I could.

H.O. You really need to reconsider and revive your faith. Most of the dryness that I ever have in my life is my own fault.

Pax tecum,

Today I went to daily Mass and a lady I know lashed out after Mass and made me upset. What’s the point? There were only a few people there, supposedly the most devout and dedicated to our Lord. I left feeling angry at this woman’s attitude. I feel like I wasted my time.

[quote=HumbleObedience]Today I went to daily Mass and a lady I know lashed out after Mass and made me upset. What’s the point? There were only a few people there, supposedly the most devout and dedicated to our Lord. I left feeling angry at this woman’s attitude. I feel like I wasted ,u to,e/
[/quote]

I know a lady like this. She even went after Father in front of us.

However perhaps you are led there to be her example and pillar of faith? Also, sadly, not everyone is mentally stable :frowning:

Another lady did something vicous and vengeful to me the other day. She is a pillar of our Church. I don’t understand it.

Why hasn’t Christ fulfilled all his promises? All the promises in the Bible are still on hold. How much longer have we to wait? I think that either Christ must already be here in some other form, or it’s all a myth.

[quote=HumbleObedience]Another lady did something vicous and vengeful to me the other day. She is a pillar of our Church. I don’t understand it.

Why hasn’t Christ fulfilled all his promises? All the promises in the Bible are still on hold. How much longer have we to wait? I think that either Christ must already be here in some other form, or it’s all a myth.
[/quote]

What promises would those be H.O.?

Look, people are sinners and do some lame stuff. (I’ve done my share…), but the truth is here within the Catholic Church. I’m so busy working out my own salvation with fear and trembling that I have little time to worry too much about how crazy other folks are. At Mass I’m focused on that miracle up on that altar and not the people around me, though I often find myself praying for random people that pass me on the way back to their pews when I’ve finished my Eucharistic devotions and other prayers. Why? Cos I know it’s the right thing to do.
Pax tecum,

Dearest Church Militant,
You sound more advanced spiritually than me. I’m more affected by people around me, I’m afraid. I’ve been devout and dedicated to our Lord for years, to no avail. I’m starting to despair that I’ve been on the wrong path, or that I’m just one one of many paths.

[quote=HumbleObedience]Another lady did something vicous and vengeful to me the other day. She is a pillar of our Church. I don’t understand it.

[/quote]

Why are you basing your estimation of truth on flawed human beings? The Church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints.

As for “Christ not fulfilling all his promises”----what promises are you talking about? And why is God supposed to operate on your timetable? Is that one of the promises? How old are you?

Unfortunately, in 2000 years of history, there have been very few people who qualify as saints. Not only that, there have probably been just as many saints outside of our faith. I’ve met the most beautiful people, some of whom are atheists and seem to reflect God better than I, with all my devotions!

I really don’t think it matters at all if you go to Mass anymore.

[quote=Sherlock]Why are you basing your estimation of truth on flawed human beings? The Church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints.

As for “Christ not fulfilling all his promises”----what promises are you talking about? And why is God supposed to operate on your timetable? Is that one of the promises? How old are you?
[/quote]

The Bible is full of promises of Christ’s return. The early church expected it to be imminant. Now we mention it at every Mass ritualistically, but to no avail.

I’m in my late 40s, old enough to know a few things.

[quote=HumbleObedience]Unfortunately, in 2000 years of history, there have been very few people who qualify as saints. Not only that, there have probably been just as many saints outside of our faith. I’ve met the most beautiful people, some of whom are atheists and seem to reflect God better than I, with all my devotions!

I really don’t think it matters at all if you go to Mass anymore.
[/quote]

Wow—“very few people”? You do understand, do you not, that canonized saints are simply the ones who are recognized by the Church (because they are documented)? There are countless others whose names we may not know, though we meet them in day-to-day life (I know I’ve met quite a few…).

When you receive the Eucharist you receive God. If that doesn’t matter to you, then your problems are larger than any problem with the Church.

[quote=HumbleObedience]The Bible is full of promises of Christ’s return. The early church expected it to be imminant. Now we mention it at every Mass ritualistically, but to no avail.

I’m in my late 40s, old enough to know a few things.
[/quote]

So, in other words, you doubt God’s word because He hasn’t operated on your schedule as you’d like.

And you call yourself “HumbleObedience”----why?

What percentage of people qualify as saints? Miniscule. It is very rare. The most devout people at my church are very flawed, including myself. Yes, I know there are holy people that aren’t famous enough to be canonized, including Protestants, Muslims, Buddhists, and Hindus, not to mention non-believers and New agers.

[quote=Sherlock]So, in other words, you doubt God’s word because He hasn’t operated on your schedule as you’d like.

And you call yourself “HumbleObedience”----why?
[/quote]

I started my account over a year ago. You don’t have to be sarcastic, by the way. It’s not very nice.

[quote=HumbleObedience]Right now I’m on the fence. I’m starting to think it’s a dying religion and that God has moved his spirit elsewhere, or that something new will be happening.
[/quote]

Next to Mormonism Catholicism is the fastest growing religion in the world, not bad for a religion that has existed for 2000 years eh? It is most certainly not dieing out.

God bless
Levi

Do you believe in divorce?

Do you consider your baptismal promises as something important?

As a child of God by virtue of your baptism, and as a soldier of Christ by virtue of your confirmation, you have been given the life of grace and mission to the world on behalf of God through His Church.

But then, if you are easily offended or irritated or scandalized by the sorrows God sends you to overcome, then beware.

Apoc 2:4 But I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first charity. 5 Be mindful therefore from whence thou art fallen: and do penance, and do the first works.

And yes, this applies to those who are not acting charitable to you. But it is charity to admonish, instruct, and counsel. It is our duty to fight against doubts to our Faith. And we can overcome by considering the truth that God exists. We have a moral duty to pray.

Here is a poem I came across some time ago that I just recalled on your account.

Faithful and True

You look at your soul -
Lost it’s sparkle and zim;
And you can’t figure out
how old Satan got in.

You check your reserves -
Got to line up those graces
To rescue you fast
From those dark, hidden places!

You shine up your armor
To fight once anew,
For our dear Holy Father
Cast aside by the few.

Your eyes are on Heaven;
Your words are a prayer
To join the vast army
Of the folks who still care.

We’ll raise up a banner
Called “Faithful and True”,
And show the whole world
What a true love can do!

attirbuted to St. Therese The Little Flower

hurst

[quote=HumbleObedience]Dearest Church Militant,
You sound more advanced spiritually than me. I’m more affected by people around me, I’m afraid. I’ve been devout and dedicated to our Lord for years, to no avail. I’m starting to despair that I’ve been on the wrong path, or that I’m just one one of many paths.
[/quote]

Maybe… I don’t know. I was an idiot and left the church for over 34 years and some of the junk I went through was worse than anything that I’ve ever seen in the Catholic Church.

My friend, the person that we need to be around and be affected by is Jesus, and it gets no better (this side of heaven) than the Eucharist.

Don’t think for a second that Our Lord hasn’t seen your faithfulnes so far. Are you at all familiar with St. Therese, The Little Flower? I urge you to invest in her autobiography, “Story of A Soul” because she’s been where you’re at I think.

Having tread many of those paths that you speak of, I urge you to remain on this one where Christ meets us in the Eucharist. No one else has that my friend.

I think you underestimate the number of saints H.O. Ever read anything about Padre Pio, Maximillian Kolbe, or Francis of Assisi? The lives of the saints are unreal, and there are so many more than we think of. Good grief, just the lives of the 12 apostles that we know of are amazing! Remember St. Thomas (“Doubting Thomas”?), Do you know where he went and what happened to him? :eek:

I guess I have also been richly blessed with many saintly members of my own family.

Anyway, let me extend my hand in friendship to you and come…let’s walk this path together. Ok?
PM me if you just wanna talk or anything that you don’t feel like needs to be out in the public forums.
Pax tecum,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.