Prosecutor reveals third grand jury had refused DeLay indictment

Interesting, to say the least:

Prosecutor reveals third grand jury had refused DeLay indictment
Newly impaneled grand jury returned money-laundering charge within hours
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Tuesday, October 04, 2005

A Travis County grand jury last week refused to indict former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay as prosecutors raced to salvage their felony case against the Sugar Land Republican.

In a written statement Tuesday, Travis County District Attorney Ronnie Earle acknowledged that prosecutors presented their case to three grand juries — not just the two they had discussed — and one grand jury refused to indict DeLay. When questions arose about whether the state’s conspiracy statute applied to the first indictment returned last Wednesday, prosecutors presented a new money-laundering charge to second grand jury on Friday because the term of the initial grand jury had expired.

Full Story

I do not know if Grand Jury shopping is illegal, but this smells of prosecutorial misconduct.

PF

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Interesting, to say the least:I do not know if Grand Jury shopping is illegal, but this smells of prosecutorial misconduct.

PF
[/quote]

Yes, it certainly does. :confused:

Just when the dark underside of the Old South was, we thought, buried, it comes back from the grave–in “progressive” Travis County.

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Interesting, to say the least:I do not know if Grand Jury shopping is illegal, but this smells of prosecutorial misconduct.

PF
[/quote]

It does smell like something …

[/quote]

Looks like I may be right:

DeLay Asks That Indictments Be Set Aside
Oct 07 6:12 PM US/Eastern
Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay’s legal team asked Friday for his Texas indictments to be set aside, accusing the prosecutor of misconduct.

DeLay’s attorney, Dick DeGuerin, alleged in a court motion that Travis County District Attorney Ronnie Earle unlawfully participated in grand jury deliberations when he went to a second grand jury last week to seek a second indictment against the congressman.

Full Story

PF

Earle attempted to hide the refusal of the second Grand Jury to indict by not filing a “no-bill” document as is routinuely done.

Noticed leftists have dropped this issue. Forums all over the net were being spammed with breathless accounts of DeLay’s probably trip to prison last week.

Now…nothing.

Same thing which happened to John Bolton. Strum und Drang, then silence.

Almost as if someone is directing these posters . . .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.