Prostration in Prayer

I know of specific parts in some liturgies during which the priest(s) prostrate himself (themselves) in prayer. I guess my question is if the laity also do this in personal prayer. Is it acceptable? If so, is it practiced? And how so?

Thanks for your help!

Google ‘9 ways of prayer of St. Dominic’. :slight_smile:

Hi! :slight_smile:

There’s no reason why you shouldn’t if that’s what you wish to do. It’s symbolic of humility, worship of God, and submission to His will.

Regards, Trishie

Dude, it’s private prayer, you can basically adopt any posture you wish. You can pray standing on your head if the Spirit moves you to do so.

Prostration is a great form of prayer. While I don’t really practice it personally, it’s extremely popular in the Eastern Rites of the Church.

lol Lily! :rotfl: Personally, I wouldn’t attempt this position… mainly, because I’m a MEGA KLUTZ :smiley:

But this reminds me of a post in the “Saintly Humor” thread. Someone told of an incident… where St. Teresa of Avila was praying in the… er… “Little Nun’s Room”. The devil appeard to her and chided her, for praying “on the can”… to which she replied…

“What comes out of my mouth is for God. What comes out of the other end is for you, devil”. :rotfl:

(Lily, maybe the above was your entry in the “Saintly Humor” thread? :shrug: Whoever posted it, it stayed in my mind… and is still causing me to laugh).

Some people pray prostrate during Eucharistic Adoration.

One evening when I was teaching an RCIA session about the Eucharist, I took a candidate for a visit to our Adoration Chapel. Little did I know that an elderly woman who likes to pray prostrate would be in the chapel. My RCIA candidate, who is a nurse, was just about ready to go into rescue mode!

thats hilarious :smiley:

As long as it is private prayer, and you are honest about it, go ahead and prostrate as desired.:thumbsup:

In my case, I don’t prostrate, and I very rarely kneel. Aside from age (65) and creeky bones, I live with three cats. My primary prayer is the DIVINE OFFICE aka Liturgy Of The Hours. I pray the five offices siting down in a comfortable chair. This enables one of the cats to sit in my lap as I pray. I hold the book with one hand, and pet the cat with the other.:hug1:

The cat purrs, of course, and I think God approves. :blushing:

:blushing:

[quote="MarieVeronica, post:6, topic:139380"]
lol Lily! :rotfl: Personally, I wouldn't attempt this position.. mainly, because I'm a MEGA KLUTZ :D

But this reminds me of a post in the "Saintly Humor" thread. Someone told of an incident.. where St. Teresa of Avila was praying in the.. er.. "Little Nun's Room". The devil appeard to her and chided her, for praying "on the can".. to which she replied..

"What comes out of my mouth is for God. What comes out of the other end is for you, devil". :rotfl:

(Lily, maybe the above was your entry in the "Saintly Humor" thread? :shrug: Whoever posted it, it stayed in my mind.. and is still causing me to laugh).

[/quote]

That was my posting

Oh I love this posture for prayer! I have practiced it on a number of occasions. Years ago I was given the duty of locking up the church after Mass on Saturday night. Seeing the opportunity afforded me, I began my private time before the tabernacle. Words cannot express how it made me feel – humbled, unworthy, loved, a servant, an vessel of His love, oh my.

I also began an examination of conscience similar to that which I had seen nun’s doing: “I accuse myself of the sin of …”

Just thought of all this reminds me of very much I should be doing it again

God bless

Tony

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.