protestant adoration??

This just really confused me… The other day I was driving around, and on the bulletin board in front of the local “Church of Christ” it has a scheduled time for “Adoration” posted. How is adoration even possible in a protestant church, if they don’t even believe in the real presence? Not that it would make much difference even if they tried it, since it wouldn’t really be Jesus anyway, but still.

Side note: the sign really read “Adoracion” so I’m kind of just assuming they meant adoration, but in Spanish.

They meant their worship service, not Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.

The “churches of Christ” believe their Lord’s Supper is a symbolic service, done in memory of Christ’s sacrifice.

They have no sacraments, but they do their Lord’s Supper every Sunday unlike other Protestants.

How often do most protestant denominations have communion? I thought it would have been at least once a week but I guess not.

[quote=exoflare]How often do most protestant denominations have communion? I thought it would have been at least once a week but I guess not.
[/quote]

Once a week? Wouldnt that get repetitve? What I mean is if a congregation did that every week, it’d probably end up loosing the significance of it. At my church its the first Sunday of the month.

[quote=april_hosen]Once a week? Wouldnt that get repetitve? What I mean is if a congregation did that every week, it’d probably end up loosing the significance of it. At my church its the first Sunday of the month.
[/quote]

I’m sorry April…we probably have a misunderstanding here due to different beliefs…but to me thats like saying it is repetitive to think about the passion of Christ every day (which I do), because of the danger that it would lose its significance!

Most Protestant congregations “observe the Lord’s Supper” quarterly (every three months), although some are doing it once a month.

AFAIK the only ones to do it weekly are Campbellites ("churches of Christ, Independent Christian churches, and Christian Churches (Disciples of Christ). Most Episcopal churches now celebrate the Eucharist weekly.

I find it kind of odd that a lot of Fundamentalists take the word “supper” very literally and tack it on to the end of their Sunday Evening preaching service. They never have communion on Sunday morning.

Hmm I guess your right,
I think I was probably thinking of doing the Lords prayer every Sunday. I used to go to a church where did the Lords Prayer every Sunday, and I just became repetitive and not as meaningful as it was when I first actually prayed the words .

[quote=april_hosen]Hmm I guess your right,
I think I was probably thinking of doing the Lords prayer every Sunday. I used to go to a church where did the Lords Prayer every Sunday, and I just became repetitive and not as meaningful as it was when I first actually prayed the words .
[/quote]

I guess this is a good time to point out our differences. Where you feel that the Lord’s prayer weekly gets repetitive, I feel that if I haven’t said the Lord’s prayer at least twenty times a day, I haven’t spent enough time in prayer or contemplation. But maybe another thread would be appropriate to get into the whole “repetitive prayer” is a blasphemy argument.

It’s like Bishop Sheen used to say (and I hope I’m getting this right), “One should spend at least 30 minutes a day in adoration of the Eucharist. And if you feel like you’re too busy, then you should spend a whole hour!”

NotWorthy

[quote=april_hosen]Once a week? Wouldnt that get repetitve? What I mean is if a congregation did that every week, it’d probably end up loosing the significance of it. At my church its the first Sunday of the month.
[/quote]

April_hosen,

I tell my wife I love her every day. What’s wrong with repetition? It’s never lost its significance for me or my wife.

Oh, and we Catholics celebrate the Eucharist every day too. :wink:

[quote=itsjustdave1988]April_hosen,

I tell my wife I love her every day. What’s wrong with repetition? It’s never lost its significance for me or my wife.

Oh, and we Catholics celebrate the Eucharist every day too. :wink:
[/quote]

Every hour of the day actually… “…from the rising of the sun to its setting…” …all over the world. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Many Catholics and Orthodox receive the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharust everyday. How could that possibly ever lose it’s significance?!?

[quote=exoflare]Side note: the sign really read “Adoracion” so I’m kind of just assuming they meant adoration, but in Spanish.
[/quote]

My friend gets so mad when she would see our local Protestant churches (one in particular) post times for worship in Spanish, because they use the word “Misa”, which would lead a spanish-speaker to think they were having Mass. She thinks that it’s misleading and works hard to keep the local Spanish ESL crowd in the Catholic Church. Makes me wonder if there was an implication to be made… :hmmm:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.