Protestant and Catholic trying to remain friends

This is from another thread. We wanna have fun, and try to learn things from eachother, But the most important thing is to be kind, and have a sense of humor.

My first thing I want to ask you Tristan is you said that if you believe in God you are a Saint. Now as A RC I have to say I find this a little odd.

So lets start here. Tristan show me all of the scripture that you have that would lead you to that conclusion.

Take your time. I also will be finding my scripture according to the RCC that shows how we can establish sainthood. Probally will get back to you tommorow. My son just brought me another junk car and parked it in my yard and I am going to strangle him. So I will be back in the morning. There is important work to be done right now!:hammering:

This hopefully will not only teach us all something. I hope its fun! I hope its relaxing and funny at the same time. So Tristan get busy and talk to ya tommorow. :egyptian:

Hey bro! :smiley:

To begin, I just want to say I love Catholics and I love Catholicism. You are all my brothers and sisters in Christ, despite your denomination. :slight_smile:

Now, belief doesn’t make us a saint. Satan believes in God, and is not a saint. A saint, by definition, can mean “holy one”, physically pure, morally blameless or religious, ceremonially consecrated, etc. The Greek word for this is ἅγιος (hagios; hag’-ee-os). A saint, from my point of view, is a born again Christian through whom God is working. While saints exist in Heaven, there are saints here on the earth. I am sure that I am a saint, and that you too are a saint. We are born again Christians who God works through. I know I am because I’m convicted when I sin, I pray, I read the Bible, I confess my faith to all, I am not ashamed of Christ, I am hurt when people blaspheme, etc.

Acts 9:13
Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:

Acts 9:32
And it came to pass, as Peter passed throughout all quarters, he came down also to the saints which dwelt at Lydda.

We learn in the book of Acts that there are (where) saints on earth in Jerusalem and Lydda. Let’s look at another verse:

Romans 15:25
But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints.

Paul tells us that he went to Jerusalem to minister to saints. Obviously heavenly saints need not be ministered to. Paul is talking about earthly saints.

There were saints in Ephesus as well:

Ephesians 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Paul told the Philippians to greet all the saints:

Philippians 4:21
*Greet all the saints in Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me send greetings. *

The general idea of the word “saints” are a group of people set apart for the Lord. There are three references referring to godly character of saints.

Romans 16:2
I ask you to receive her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints and to give her any help she may need from you, for she has been a great help to many people, including me.

Ephesians 4:12
*to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up *

Ephesians 5:3
But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people.

Scripturally speaking, the “saints” are the body of Christ; Christians. All Christians are considered saints. All Christian are saints, and at the same time are called to be saints. Christians are saints by virtue of their connection with Jesus Christ.

[/end_rant] :nerd:

:thankyou::coolinoff:

Stick that in your holy water and drink it! :whackadoo:

Don’t strangle your son. When fall comes, gather as many leaves as you can and fill his room with them. :newidea:

God bless! :smiley:

Drink the Holy Water, :eek: Are you nuts girlfriend! You are talking to a RC. We will stick with the WINE!:smiley:

Okay I read all of your scripture and it all goes with the belief of the CC. Sorry Pauls on our side.:smiley: Here is why

Now in acts we are talking about the disciple Ananias (holy ones). Read again, God says take a hike Ananias, He was sending him to Paul. Now Ananias was like are you nuts, They are killing us disciples and Paul is the worst one. But as we know Ananias was a Disciple of Christ HOLY ONE which fits into the def. of Saint. (those very SPECIAl people who have DONE the will of God.

Now in EPH 5:3 will sum it up for you. THis is what we have to do to become Saints. Now can you say that there is no GREED what soever in you and you are completely pure. As for myself I haven’t got there yet. Now I am trying. But my thoughts are no completely pure. (I proved that by wanting to kill JR :D)

now I love In Eph when Paul is talking about the Apostles as Holy Ones. For 2 reasons. Go back and read it again. Read chapter 3. Listen carefully how he says he has gotten a gift from God to teach for our benefit! See thats a special calling the RCC lives by. Notice how he says to me the very least of the Holy ones. He is talking about the Apostles. Now we know we don’t got it because read 15-20 He prays that in time we can grasp it. Now here is another thing, we agree I hope that Paul had a special revelation from God, But heres the biggie. Paul still had to receive the Power of the HS by the laying of hands. HOLY ORDERS is what we call it. Now even thought God called Paul he still called Ananias to put his hands over him and that is how he received the Power of the HS to teach in the name of God. Pretty neat huh!

The Saints

THE SAINTS ARE THOSE VERY SPECIAL PEOPOLE WHO HAVE DONE THE WILL OF GOD AND PROVED BY THEIR HOLINESS THE HONOR OF THEIR TITLE. THEY WERE THE PATRIARCHS THE PROPHETS THE DISCIPLES AND THE APOSTLES OF JESUS AND ALL THE FOLLOWERS OF THE WAY.

THE CHURCH GOES THROUGH A VERY THOROUGH PROCESS OF DISCERNMENT BEFORE CONSIDERING SOMEONE A SAINT. THE CASE IS STUDIED THEN THE PERSON IS BEATIFIED AND FINALLY CANONISATION TAKES PLACE. BEFORE A PERSON BECOMES A SAINT THEY MAY RECEIVE THE TITLE OF VENERABLE OR BLESSED…

IT HAS TAKEN CENTURIES FOR THE CHURCH TO GIVE SOMEONE THE TITLE OF SAINT.

Now read this carefully!!!

HOWEVER EVERYONE IS CALLED TO BE A SAINT SINCE THE LORD SAYS BE HOLY AS I AM HOLY NOTHING DEFILED CAN ENTER HEAVEN.

SO WE ARE ALL INVITED TO BECOME SAINTS IN THIS LIFE.

Now do you still consider yourself a Saint?:smiley: Or could you say you agree with the church that the way of perfection passes by the way of the cross. That there is no holiness without recunciation and spiritual battle?

Oh Tristan. By the way Im a SISTER:D

Tristian this may be something also that may interest you. Christians. Here is how we got the name.

Acts 11:26 And it happened that they stayed together in the church a whole year. intstructing a large group of people. It was at Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians.

It also proves what the RCC has taught for ever. We are not self-taught by reading the bible. We are instructed by the Disciples.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.