Protestant asked me about Mary...Help

My sister n law is visiting from out-of-state & asked me why the statue of Mary is standing on a snake. I silently prayed “Holy Spirit speak through me,” and I mumbled something about Genesis and the woman crushing the serpent’s head and then I said I would find out for sure and get back with her. What a moron I must have sounded like. I didn’t mention anything about the New Eve…everything flew out of my head!! I am not good at being articulate with her and I have been praying for an opportunity to plant a seed in her( she’s Assembly of God) and I messed up.:frowning: :blush: She is very intellectual and a deep thinker. She has 2 little kids so she will not have the time to read anything long or a book. I have to be very careful how I respond to her…last year when she visited she ended up crying because she felt like Catholics and Protestants are so different. Can someone link me to a good article? :shrug: Thank you.

You are exactly right.“Genesis 3: [14] And the Lord God said to the serpent: Because thou hast done this thing, thou art cursed among all cattle, and beasts of the earth: upon thy breast shalt thou go, and earth shalt thou eat all the days of thy life. [15] I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.

Mary is the New Eve, in the same way Jesus is the New Adam. They are the ‘firstborn’ of Christianity in the Messianic Age. This is one of the reasons why Mary was conceived without Original Sin. She is the Perfect Woman that is the counterpart of Jesus, as the Perfect Man. Both of them remained sinless, from birth to death, and showed all of us that it is possible to remain sinless. Unlike the first Adam and Eve, who both sinned through their disobedience of God, Jesus and Mary always obeyed God, in everything they did.

There is a page on New Advent that explains the Immaculate Conception and the role of Mary in more detail, here.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Yes, it does. Thank you, Lori. The link is very helpful.

Don’t stress out too much. I’m sure you did fine. I’ve had encounters when I’ve felt pressured to give immediate answers and then ended up being accused of making things up. :slight_smile: I’ve learned to say “I don’t know. Let me find out.” more often over the years. God bless you.

Mary and Scripture
youtube.com/watch?v=xg2OQ_iPTv8

Genesis 3:15 issue.

Hi journey00.

Telstar’s post is correct.

GENESIS 3:15 (DRV — a Catholic translation) 15 I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.

Again, Telstar’s post is correct. But I just wanted to take it one step further for your behalf.

Why? Because your sister-in-law (“she is very intellectual”) will object and say that her Bible says; “HE” will crush the head of the serpent.

That is not wrong either.

Why? How can BOTH translations be correct? How can BOTH “he” and “she” be appropriate translations?

Before we answer that, let’s look at some differing translations of the verse (Genesis 3:15).

GENESIS 3:15 (RSV and RSVCE) 15 I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel."

The Hebrew is ambiguous here (he/she will crush or bruise your head, “his” or “her” heel). St. Jerome in the late 300’s A.D. translated this as “she”.

Yet your sister-in-law almost certainly (sooner or later) will say HER Bible uses male pronouns not female pronouns (see bold and underline which I added for clarity) in Genesis 3:15.

GENESIS 3:15 (NIV — a Protestant translation) 15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."

The KJV uses “it” initially in this description.

GENESIS 3:15 (KJV — a Protestant translation) 15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

As I mentioned above, the Hebrew is ambiguous here (he/she will crush or bruise your head).

Here is one Jewish translation of Genesis 3:15 . . . . .

****GENESIS 3:15 (Jewish Publication Society translation from 1917 here) 15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; they shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise their heel.'

How do you respond to her counter objection?

You tell your sister-in-law that the verse has layered meaning (therefore Jesus crushes the head of the serpent AND Mary crushes the head of the serpent).

Yes theologically primarily this would point to Jesus.

But linguistically AND theologically the Hebrew in a secondary sense points to Jesus’ Mother too. That of course is Mary.

But there is even another layer of meaning to Genesis 3:15!

There is a corporate sense to this too that St. Paul matter of factly sees in Romans 16. That means the Church ALSO in a sense crushes the head of the serpent.

Not because the Blessed Virgin Mary can do this crushing apart from Jesus. Not because the Church can do this crushing of the serpent apart from Jesus either.

But BECAUSE Jesus empowers His Blessed Mother and Jesus likewise empowers the Church . . . . that this “participation” or “sharing” or “koinonia” in crushing the head of the serpent is even possible.

Here is St. Paul . . . .

ROMANS 16:20 (DRV) 20 And the God of peace crush Satan under your feet speedily. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

ROMANS 16:20 (NIV) 20 The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.

More info here too.

I hope this helps with your upcoming conversation.

God bless.

Cathoholic

PS For more info. on the “sharing” or “participation” in Christ see the following thread (forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=874877).

Excellent post! :thumbsup:

Thanks for acknowledging that I was right. I hate when I post something that’s incorrect.i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Telstars/Smilies/eggheadsmile.gif

One small remark I would offer about the DRV (my personal preference above all Biblical translations in English), is that it translates from the Latin Vulgate, which was the original version compiled and translated by St. Jerome. I don’t recall where I read about it, but apparently he also struggled over how to translate that verse. In the end, he was inspired to choose the one that reflected the woman.

Since St. Jerome was the one that decided which scriptural texts should be included in the first composition of the Bible (with the final approval from the Pope), I would tend to agree with his choice, in this case, being the one that the Holy Spirit lead him to choose. So, there had to be a very good reason for him to make that choice. It’s fairly obvious to me, because it does reflect the femininity of both Mary and the Catholic Church (the Bride of Christ), that he made the most correct choice.

Wow!!! Just…wow!!! Thank you to all 3 of you who responded. :slight_smile:

YES!! She totally would have noticed the he/she pronouns!

But when she asks why she should care what St Jerome did or who is he and what does he have to do with the Bible, after all he’s not in the Bible.

You’re very welcome! :smiley:

Just make sure to remind her that if it wasn’t for St. Jerome AND the Catholic Church, not only wouldn’t she have** any **Bible, but she most likely wouldn’t even know Who Jesus is, either. :wink:

Hello journey00,
As an AOG member myself, I have some reservations with some Catholic doctrines that might be similar to those concerns of your in-law.

However, I remind myself that Catholics have been around a lot longer than us protestants with the same belief system in place for umpteen centuries before any protestant denomination was even a glimmer in the reformers’ eyes and yet the Catholic Church still hasn’t spilt into countless denominations. Therefore, they’ve got something going for them that deserves respect. It might cause her pause to realize that she undoubtedly had tons of ancestors down through the ages who were Catholics and lived to tell about it :thumbsup:

She may not understand the Catholic faith (to me it can get complicated at times), but in the end Catholics and protestants worship and serve the same Lord even though we are “separated brethren” according to Catholicism. We are brothers and sisters in Christ with more things in common than not, in my opinion.

The best witnesses for Catholicism (in my view) are those Catholics who respectfully point out positive traits about my protestant faith in addition to sharing their Catholc faith to me.

It allows me to lower my defensive force fields and helps me be more open-minded and willing to hear what they have to say. It is a big turn-off when I run into a narrow-minded person who thinks everything about Catholicism is wonderful and everything about protestant beliefs is bad. It only causes me to “bow up” (Oklahoma term) and go on the defensive when I hear my deeply held beliefs attacked.

My only advice would be to love her and be a good witness to her through your actions.
Actions *do *speak louder than words and in the end your actions are the best witness of all and will allow you an opening to share your faith in a way she will be more apt to listen to and receive. I wish you all the best. Thanks for letting me share my two cents.

I normally say. Christ loved his mother, if we are to imitate Christ then we should love his mother as much as Christ did.

I come from a long line of Presbyterians so after my conversion it took a while for me to get my head around Marian devotion. With that in mind I recently wrote a series of blogs about Mary in the New Testament. It doesn’t specifically address Catholic doctrines what it does, on the basis of Scripture Alone, is highlight the prominent role of our Lady in the mission of our Lord. The aim is to help Protestants to realise that they have been sidelining Mary not out of scriptural reasons but simply because Catholics honour her. Of course, I hope that the more people think about Mary the more they will come to realise the value of Catholic doctrines about her. But even if that doesn’t happen simply giving the Mother of Jesus the honour and praise which the Gospels suggest that she is due would be a start.

This is the from the first of my posts The Bible & The Virgin- Part1

When Christians from the communities inspired by the 16th Century Reformation (traditionally called Protestants) debate the subject of the Virgin Mary with Catholics they usually say something like “Well, of course we honour Mary but these things Catholics do just aren’t Scriptural.” Which always makes me think two things. Firstly, in all the flood of books and blogs, sermons and songs produced by these Christians Mary is hardly ever mentioned. It is a curious way of honouring someone to ignore them assiduously. Protestants only ever seem to talk about Mary when arguing with Catholics so what do they mean by saying “of course we honour Mary?” Secondly, granted that some Catholic Marian (Marian means about Mary) beliefs are only implicit in Scripture even if you ignore those the explicit New Testament allusions to her clearly demonstrate that of all the merely human creatures in the Bible no one is more highly deserving of praise and honour than the Blessed Virgin. Don’t believe me? Let me walk you through the verses.

:cool:

Don’t be so hard on yourself. You gave an accurate answer. The “woman” in Gen 3:15 is the prophesy of Mary to come.

Your sister-in-law’s question might be perfectly innocent. And your simple answer might settle her question.

Also
1. As far as crushing Satan’s head, here’s another passage you can use “Rom 16:17 I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. 18 For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people. 19 Everyone has heard about your obedience, so I rejoice because of you; but I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil. 20 The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.”
under who’s feet will Satan’s head be crushed? The Church of Rome. I’ll bet she never saw that one coming. :wink:

So, Mary the mother of the Savior, is seen crushing Satan’s head, and also God crushes Satan under the Church of Rome’s feet . In the 2nd context, Satan is seen as the one causing all this division in Our Lord’s Catholic Church. And as Paul writes those who divide and cause others to divide from the Catholic Church serve Satan NOT Our Lord Jesus Christ.

So, if your sister-in-law’s question had more of an agenda to it, because Assembly of God has an anti Catholic bent to it, then you could keep in mind while thinking of how to respond to her
**2. **Assemblies of God being protestant, and protestantism is one of The Great Heresies in history, her asking you questions is a good thing, but don’t assume there is not more to the questions she asks. She’s been taught by heretics. As you can see from Paul, heresy and division from the Catholic Church is NOT serving Our Lord, but Satan. IOW, division from the Catholic Church is condemned. If she is as intellectual and deep thinking as you say she is, have her investigate her own history, where her brand of protestantism got it’s beginnings. It stops with the beginning of Protestantism in the 16th century when Luther broke from the Catholic Church.

You say she takes an intellectual approach to things. What do you think of this approach? #[FONT=Arial]34[/FONT]

Thank you for your post. There was a time when I would visit the local Assembly of God Church, and yes, I would hear the prayer for the conversion of Catholics. Only during the fellowship would they be surprised to discover “Catholics believe that!” as I shared about the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
It does help that I know a bit about the history of the Assembly of God and how it come to be. On the other hand, the charisms displayed within the Assembly of God, while not emphasized by the Catholic Church, have always been a part of its history.
Actions absolutely speak louder than words and allow us to discover what we share in common as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Hello everyone. I am going through all your posts, using a notebook and making an outline to organize my thoughts with all this truly helpful and great information. I will hopefully have some time alone with her today to bring it up (she leaves Tuesday). In the meantime, I hope my humble Christian witness and behavior will speak louder than words for now. :thumbsup:

@Tommy999: Hello, my brother in Christ. Thank you for your lovely post. It was beautiful & heart-felt. I know the term “bowing up” very well…I’m an Oklahomanite. :slight_smile:

Everyone that posted, I wish there was a “LIKE” button because I would use it with your posts.

Another question…looking up the different Bible versions of the Gen 3:15… some say “…and He shall** bruise** your head,…” others say “…and He shall **crush **your head,…” I know she previously used KJV and New King James and both say “bruise”. So, I can’t say the statue of Mary is crushing the serpents head representing the scripture verse because hers will not say crush.

So, here’s my explanation: Gen 3:15 is the prophesy of Mary to come. Unlike the old Eve who listened to the serpent and disobeyed God, Mary (the new Eve) is obedient and said yes, let it be done to me according to your word. Through “her seed” JC, our Lord and Savior, and only through Him, we are saved. When Adam and Eve sinned, God was already setting up a salvation plan for us as he spoke to the serpent. The statue of Mary is depicted as crushing the snake because through her “seed” (JC) Satan was defeated.

I have to mostly use the Bible because she is sola scriptura, that’s what she really understands. She has been taught to be anti-Catholic and will repel at anything taught by the Church of Rome or the CCC. I also have to be very quick because we are driving around with a car full of toddlers and children demanding our attention every 3 min. LOL! In the last few months she has begun to pray the Divine Office every day at missionstclare.com. She recites the the Apostle’s Creed every day. :bigyikes::extrahappy:

If she asks why not just have a statue of Jesus crushing the snake? I will say well, there could be, there’s no rule against or a either/or rule but she played a major role in the salvation plan and so traditionally the statue shows His blessed mother stepping on the snake. Why do I call her blessed…because scripture says so: “all generations will call me blessed…”

How does all that sound? I’m getting ready see her soon. Thank you everyone.

As you could tell from my response, I was also looking for that like button to Tommy 999. As Catholics, we accept that without Mary’s Fiat, her “yes” and her obedience, there would be no salvation. Mary was the human instrument that God chose, the vessel, the Ark of the New Covenant to carry Salvation to the World.

The Catholic Church often uses Revelations 12 in reference to Mary, " a woman clothed with the sun and , and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars; she was with child…" The dragon, Satan, stands ready to devour the child who is destined to "rule the nations, “but the child is caught up to God and to his throne.,”
Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. And they have conquered him by the Blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.

I used the RSV for my Biblical quotations. It is universally accepted by both Catholics and non-Catholics and was primarily the translation used when I visited the local Assembly of God where I was living.

Many non-Catholics think that we as Catholics worship Mary because of our devotion to her, and our understanding of her role in salvation history. Mary points to Christ. Christ is our Salvation. The best response I received was from a Marian priest who would ask, “What man would not want to his mother to receive flowers?” Christ gave his mother to us when he gave her to John at the foot of the cross.
Don’t worry if your sister-in-law does not understand or accept everything you say at this time. Just as you prayed the first time for the Holy Spirit to guide your words, pray again that the Holy Spirit might guide your words and give your sister-in-law an open heart and mind to hear what He has to say to her.

Ask her if she knows what the word “Bible” means. If she’s the scholar you take her to be, she will know that the word “Bible” means “Library”, referring to the fact that it is a “book of books,” and that each of the books of the Bible was written at a different time and by a different author, sometimes even in completely different languages.

Tell her that before St. Jerome came along, all the books that she now has in her Bible were still sitting in libraries in various places around the world - Alexandria, Jerusalem, Persia, Corinth, Ephesus, Rome, Philippi, and places like that. They also had not yet been brought together into one, nor translated into languages that people of his day could understand. Some were in Greek, some were in ancient Hebrew, others were in more contemporary Hebrew, some were in Aramaic, and even in Egyptian and Persian.

What St. Jerome did was he first went to all the known libraries in the world and collected up the books of the Bible according to a list that Pope Damasus had given him of the Books of the Old Testament, and a list that Pope Innocent I later gave him of the books of the New Testament.

Then, when he had all the books, he brought them to a cave where he could have some privacy, and he hired two women to mix his ink and cut his pens for him, and also to cook his meals and wash his clothes. While he was living there, he also acquired a lion, but that’s a whole other story.

Over a period of about 40 years, he undertook to translate all of the books of the Bible into Latin. He then bound them all into a special kind of box called a “codex” that holds the pages together when you sit down to read them, instead of putting them on a scroll, as would have been the usual custom back then.

From that Latin translation and codex that St. Jerome made, comes every Bible that now exists.

In the preaching when I visited the local Assembly of God, there was a great deal of differentiating between them and mainline churches. Much of this is due to the history of how the Assembly of God came about.
They put a great deal of emphasis on the working of the Holy Spirit, and the gifts of the Holy Spirit. When I talk to my non-Catholic brothers and sisters, I also place my emphasis not only on what scriptures says, but on how the Holy Spirit works in my life. This will give you a point of commonality, especially when talking to members of the Assembly of God.
It never ceases to amaze me how the Holy Spirit will place the exact words He wants me to use, if only I am willing to listen.
Again, if your sister is intellectual, it won’t take her long to notice a lack of depth versus the long history of the Catholic Church which encourages intellectual discovery. Of course, there is something to be said for simple faith as well. This is something that a Nazarene minister and I discussed once. Yes, I visited his church too. Those of us who are educated also tend to be somewhat skeptical. His flock accepted with childlike faith where we tended to look for proofs.
Scripture tells us not to quibble. As Christians, strife is a luxury that we cannot afford. Do not allow the discussion to become heated.

While the above scripture references are good insofar as depicting Mary standing on a serpeant, I read once that it represents something else.

Mary standing on the serpeant is typically Mexican…the Virgin of Guadalupe. My understanding is that the serpent was the symbol of the Aztec Empire, which the reported apparation of Mary helped bring down in a stunning manner with mass conversions. So Mary is standing on the Aztec Empire.

I could be wrong; perhaps one would really have to ask the artists.

EDIT: I just found this link:

catholic.org/about/guadalupe.php

“It’s believed that the word Guadalupe was actually a Spanish mis-translation of the local Aztec dialect. The word that Mary probably used was Coatlallope which means “one who treads on snakes”! Within six years of this apparition, six million Aztecs had converted to Catholicism.”

Perhaps would need a little more research to determine if the snake Mary is standing on represents the Aztec Empire.

EDIT: Here’s more:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatl

“To the Aztecs, Quetzalcoatl was, as his name indicates, a feathered serpent, a flying reptile (much like a dragon), who was a boundary-maker (and transgressor) between earth and sky.”

Journey00. you asked:

“ . . . when she (your sister in law) asks why she should care what St Jerome did or who is he and what does he have to do with the Bible (specifically Genesis 3:15)”

I wanted to get you a reply before she leaves Tuesday (this is Sunday night–technically Monday morning).

You can tell her:

The he/she aspect to Genesis 3:15 is ambiguous ***not because ***of St. Jerome, but because that is the way the Hebrew language discusses this. St. Jerome merely translated it one way it can be properly translated. Not only St. Jerome saw this but the Jewish Rabbis do as well (that’s why I gave you the Jewish JPS quote).

More importantly, St. Paul’s statement in Romans 16:20 ALSO does NOT insist on a male-only aspect to Genesis 3:15 and the head crushing.

You can see male AND female head crushings in the Old Testament that help prefigure all of this elsewhere too.

FEMALE Head Crushing of Proverbial Serpent Example:
For example the female Jael crushes the head of a proverbial serpent Sisera (see judges 4 and 5) of Judith crushes the head of a proverbial serpent Holofernes (see Judith chapter 13 and how after crushing the head of the proverbial serpent Judith is described as “Blessed by the Most High God among all women on earth” in Judith 13:18. Who could this be a prefigurement of? Yes. The Blessed Virgin Mary. Incidentally, Protestants don’t have Judith in their Bible but that is another story.

MALE Head Crushing of Proverbial Serpent Example:
Then as far as a male head crushing think of David and Goliath of Gath. Not only did David crush the head of the proverbial serpent with one of the 5 smooth stones, but David took Goliath’s sword and cut off Goliath’s head with that sword!

(If your sister in law insists on a male-only translation of Genesis 3:15, she is in effect in conflict with what St. Paul says in Romans 16:20.)

If she remains adamant at that point, I wouldn’t push it. I might tell her:

“That’s your call sister-in-law if you don’t believe these things. I am not trying to get you to believe it on my testimony. I am just informing you. You go ahead and pray about it all and discern as God leads you. I will remain in union with historic Christianity and St. Paul though . . . . but I will likewise pray for a deeper understanding too.” (that is fair enough if you challenge her to pray for a deeper understanding of truth RE: Genesis 3:15 that you do likewise. A humble prayer like this can only affirm the Church that Jesus founded.)

I think that is fair enough. I don’t think that response is too polemic or argumentative. I wouldn’t tell her she is following man-made traditions of men that were recently invented. I don’t think that would help and may cause her to get stubborn. Sometimes that more direct approach may be called for, but probably not here from what you have said.

A couple of things Journey00 for your sister in law (if she wants more info.) concerning Mary as the New Eve (some of the stuff below directly from our local Men’s Bible Study Group handouts on Mary as Perpetual Virgin but is appropriate here too) . . . .

(And don’t shy away from just giving her this link too. She may enjoy spending time here on Catholic Answers Forums.)

Jesus took flesh of the Virgin Mary (via the Holy Spirit).

God took flesh of Adam to make Eve (Adam’s rib).

Jesus is the “New Adam”. St. Paul asserts this.

**1st CORINTHIANS 15:45-47 (RSV) ** 45 Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual which is first but the physical, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven.

Adam was a prefigurement or shadow of Jesus.

ROMANS 5:12-14 (RSV) 12 Therefore as sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned-- 13 sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. 14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sins were not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.

If Jesus is the New Adam (and He is), then WHO would the “New Eve” be?

Jesus and Mary are not a mere reflection of Adam and Eve but a fulfillment (Jesus infinitely so).

Fulfillments are greater than mere prefigurements, and not perfect reflections (so some things will differ when comparing Jesus to Adam and Mary to Eve).

Continued . . . .

If Jesus is the New Adam (and He is), then WHO would the “New Eve” be?

Mary is the New Eve (as has been stated). This was taught by Christians in antiquity.

This doctrine has faithfully been preserved and passed down by the Church.

We see Mary as the New Eve in the Liturgy today (too). This concept of Mary as the New Eve again is faithfully preserved from ancient times in the Church that Jesus founded.

(CURRENT) CATHOLIC (Latin Rite) LITURGY (THE MASS) In your divine wisdom you planned the redemption of the human race and decreed that **the new Eve **should stand by the cross of the new Adam: as she became his mother by the power of the Holy Spirit, so, by a new gift of your love, she was to be a partner in his passion, and she who had given him birth without the pains of childbirth was to endure the greatest of pains in bringing forth to new life the family of your Church.

Let’s go way way back to about 180 A.D. and listen to St. Irenaeus (St. Irenaeus knew Polycarp personally as a child and St. Polycarp was a disciple of the beloved disciple St. John the Evangelist so this goes WAAAY back).

ST. IRENAEUS 10 For as by one man’s disobedience sin entered, and death obtained a place through sin; so also by the obedience of one man, righteousness having been introduced, shall cause life to fructify in those persons who in times past were dead.
[INDENT]— St. Irenaeus. Against Heresies Chapter 21 (180 A.D.)[/INDENT]

(We will come back to St. Irenaeus)

I will quote some other early Church Fathers for you in case you want to copy and paste to your “Blessed Virgin Mary” folder (or one of them) . . . .

Listen to St. Justin the Martyr:

ST. JUSTIN THE MARTYR “We know that He, before all creatures, proceeded from the Father by His power and will . . .
. . . and by means of the Virgin became man, that by what way the disobedience arising from the serpent had its beginning, by that way also it might have an undoing.
For Eve, being a virgin and undefiled, conceiving the word that was from the serpent,
brought forth disobedience and death;
but the Virgin Mary, taking faith and joy,
when the Angel told her the good tidings,
that the Spirit of the Lord should come upon her
and the power of the Highest overshadow her,
and therefore the Holy One that was born of her
was Son of God, answered, 'Be it to me according to Thy word.”
— St. Justin to Tryph. 100. St. Justin died in 165 A.D.

Origen knows of Mary as the New Eve as well.

ORIGEN . . . “worthy of God, immaculate of the immaculate, most complete sanctity, perfect justice, neither deceived by the persuasion of the serpent,
nor infected with his poisonous breathings.”

• Origen. Origen died in 253 A.D.

You can see Origen comparing Mother Mary in the context of the Garden of Eden. More typology. The Garden was a type of Mary in Origen’s evaluation.

Also concerning Origen is an interesting testimony concerning the Immaculate Conception of Mary from an Origen quote that also compares Mary to Eve . . . .

ORIGEN “She (Mary) has not been tainted with the breath of the venomous serpent. For why should the Blessed Virgin Mary have been deprived of this prerogative in her conception, with which not only the angels—even the bad-—were adorned in their original creation, but which our first parents, whom God created upright and innocent, also possessed?”

EVEN Tertullian (who doesn’t affirm Mary’s Perpetual Virginity) gets it right on Mary as the New Eve . . .

Listen to Tertullian who lived in the 200’s A.D. . . .

TERTULLIAN “God recovered His image and likeness, which the devil had seized,
by a rival operation.
For into Eve, as yet a virgin, had crept the word which was the framer of death.
Equally into a virgin was to be introduced the Word of God which was
the builder-up of life;
that, what by that sex (gender) had gone into perdition,
by the same sex (gender) might be brought back to salvation.
**Eve had believed the serpent; **
Mary believed Gabriel;
the fault which the one committed by believing,
the other by believing has blotted out.”
Tertullian. – On The Flesh of Christ 17. Tertullian Died in 240 A.D.

Notice the stark contrast of Mary and Eve.

And again St. Irenaeus:

ST. IRENAEUS “As Eve by the speech of an Angel was seduced,
so as to flee God, transgressing His word,
so also Mary received the good tidings by means of the Angel’s speech,
so as to bear God within her, being obedient to His word.
And, though the one had disobeyed God,
yet the other was drawn to obey God;
that of the virgin Eve
the Virgin Mary might become the advocate.
And, as by a virgin the human race had been bound to death,
by a virgin it is saved,
the balance being preserved,
a virgin’s disobedience by a virgin’s obedience.”
St. Irenaeus. Against Heresies. v. 19. St. Irenaeus Died in 202 A.D.

St. Cyril of Jerusalem and St. Ephrem likewise contrast Mary and Eve.

ST. CYRIL OF JERUSALEM (315-386 A.D.):
“Since through Eve, a virgin, came death,
it behooved (became necessary or proper),
that through a Virgin, or rather from a Virgin, should life appear; that,
as the Serpent had deceived the one,
so to the other Gabriel might bring good tidings.”
— St. Cyril of Jerusalem. Cat. xii. 15.

**ST. EPHREM ** (St. Ephrem died in 378 A.D.) “Through Eve, the beautiful and desirable glory of men was extinguished; but it has revived through Mary.”
— St. Ephrem Opp. Syr. ii.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.