Protestant Bible Studies - Should I Attend?

I had a thought about attending a bible study of my friend.

Can you offer advice if I went there and stated objective truth, rather than opinion? What if I encounter a bible verse unknown to me?

I probably wouldn’t attend because (depends what Protestant denomination) they might interpret certain passages or verses differently so unless you are sure in all the catholic biblical interpretations Best to not get muddled up but I’m no expert

5 Likes

Nice answer

1 Like

Depends on your personality. I wouldn’t because I wouldn’t be able to keep silent but more like… ‘excuse me, but faith alone is not meant here and why did St Paul says here imitate me and what about Maccabees and by the way who put together this Bible books, why is the apocalypse of Peter not here and so on…’ such that I would be probably politely thrown out…

4 Likes

Someone in the group will be gung ho to save you - from the wrong religion -
And most likely, eventually, hammer you with bible verses - ( don’t call anyone father etc )
And one or two people just might be in cahoots and reinforce the argument…
To give you - a heads up - scenario …

5 Likes

If you go, go as a guest or observer, and keep stumm, even if you hear something you think is wrong. You’re on their turf, and they make the rules. If you are not happy about that, then don’t go in the first place.

Hijacking their Bible study to preach your own religion would be exceedingly ungracious, just as a Protestant coming to a Catholic Bible study to preach their religion. They might ask you how a Catholic would interpret a certain passage. Unless you are very well versed in Catholic exegesis, politely decline and tell them you aren’t entirely sure, which is almost certainly the case.

Chances are that when you are with them, you will observe a completely different way of interpreting scripture than you are used to. Observing and learning can help you understand their religion better, so that you are more able to answer their questions about yours in terms they can understand.

But if you are going there to proselytize or engage in apologetics, then no, don’t attend at all. How would you feel if someone of another faith infiltrated one of your church’s groups to proselytize? Golden rule applies.

6 Likes

Perhaps. I’ve been to several such study groups and no one has ever tried to do that, but if it were to occur, I would politely excuse myself without comment and leave. Make sure that everyone in advance knows that you wish to be a silent observer, and never take any bait anyone throws in front of you.

1 Like

True…but you do have to be somewhat ready to answer - under pressure -
Esp. With Mary…Saints…etc…other matters of our faith.

Not somewhat ready, but very, very ready. As in very well versed in both Catholic and Protestant exegesis and apologetics.

Otherwise, resist any pressure to answer any questions as you are likely not to give well studied responses, and perhaps give the group an inaccurate or erroneous picture of our Faith.

1 Like

Yes !
That’s what I originally wanted to say.

I need to start skimming through the Catechism…
I’m not that ready :neutral_face:

1 Like

It all depends on the people. Protestants, especially Baptists and Pentecostals interpret the Bible differently than we do. If there is no Catholic Bible study around and you are well grounded I might be tempted to try it. Is your friend trying to convert you? I would ask point blank. I would also ask if he or she thought the group might try that. It just isn’t worth the aggravation in my book, but of course the decision is yours. I am jaded. I have just been in too many protestant ambushes.

1 Like

I second this! I would never dream of doing such a thing.

Again, I agree. Unless you have extensive education in this area I would not do this. You are likely to be in the company of people who have been to seminary. Unless you are better versed than they are, you are likely to be argued down.

It depends. Are you comfortable with the Bible, know your way around? Can you articulate basic Biblical Apologetics?

Hi, unless you are fully versed in Scriptures, there will be passages that will seem confounding.

Regardless of your knowledge of Scriptures, people have a way of turning their interpretation of Scriptures as though they are actually the Word of God.

Jehovah Witnesses are fabulous at using Scriptures against Christians as “proof text.”

Their favorite prey, seems to me, are floundering “Catholics” who basically know that there is a Bible but usually do not go beyond the title pages of most of the books in it. Yet, even with avid and devote Catholics their premise (principle) is that we are in need of saving from the errors of the Catholic Faith.

Most non-Catholic Christians seem to share the latter with the Jehovah Witnesses; they will attempt to school you on the errors of Rome; at best you will be seen as inconsequential (there is nothing you can apport) and at worst: must be saved from impending damnation (whore of Babylon).

Now knowing this is where Catholics stand, if you feel you are knowledgeable enough about Scriptures and the Catholic Faith, I don’t see why there should be a problem to engage anyone on sharing Scriptures.

Maran atha!

Angel

1 Like

That’s interesting. I was talking with my brother about interpreting the Bible and he said he goes to a bible study every week. I mentioned other bible studies could have different interpretations. That’s when I realized it would be very educational to go to his and observe.

Sometimes, however, I might not understand how to defend the faith because they use weird interpretations like trying to prove how the Bible itself is authoritative by using loose interpretations of certain verses.

1 Like

This is one of my concerns simply because they have already used loose interpretations to fit their beliefs. I could point out that one particular verse doesn’t indicate the Bible’s authority.

Yea, and I’ve engaged a few people on a small scale. It seems to me they see certain verses and make them fit their own needs. One thing I’ve noticed is Protestants typically follow in a single footpath, even those people who identify as non-denominational.

The ultimate answer is how secure you are, and how catechized you are in your faith.

And, if you are secure and well catechized, it should be no issue.

However, refrain from using the bible study as your own crusade to push Catholic theology on the protestants attending, or beating them over the head with the catechism.

Even Archbishop Fulton Sheen held William Barclay, a Protestant, as one of his favorite author of scriptural commentaries (interesting I had discovered and enjoyed Barclay’s works before I heard a retreat recording where Archbishop Sheen noted his respect for Barclay and his writings.

When dealing with Protestant theology, stand your ground without being obnoxious, and don’t be too quick to dismiss what they have to offer. They are not intrinsically evil, they are members of the Body of Christ, every bit as much as you or I.

1 Like

I remember being at a Protestant service, Sunday,
felt bad for the teenagers and younger…
Because this bible guy said he wanted to be free of cigarette smoking -
And the pastor laid hands on him…started praying…
Others, looking on, bowed their heads and joined in…

Next thing you know -
Pastor is shouting “ OUT ! GET OUT DEMON OF CANCER ! BE GONE “
The poor smoker guy began to cough and droll…
Someone ran and got a wate basket
“ OUT DEMON. You get out out of him NOW “
I felt the Pastor wasn’t fond of this fellow parishioner either -

To be a visiting Catholic - and watching such oddball confusion - wow -
Smoker guy was mortified as he walked back to his row where his wife and kids were.
I remember that one like yesterday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.