protestant bible study

i attended a bible study this morning. i have shared with some members of the group i am thinking of converting to catholicism. they were totally freaked. we have been reading and studing 2 Tim. and there are alot of supportive things to say about the catholic faith in this book but i am reluctent to share outload what i’ve been writting in my journal with the group. i do not want to offend. these women love Jesus and want to be in the will of God. i am considering just quiting the group altogether in order to avoid any uncomfortableness. opinions?

Why would they be freaked? Do they not consider Catholics Christians? Maybe that’s a question to ask them. Their answer may move you one way or the other. Peace with you and may God direct your steps on your path.

If you do not feel ready to defend the Catholic faith, then don’t. :wink: You are not obligated to do so unless and until you feel you can do so well enough to not become confused or overwhelmed by their questions or aversion to what they think is the Catholic faith.

I’d quit that Bible study, if it was me, and call your local Catholic parish to see if they have a Bible study there. Many do.

You will want to sign up for RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) in which you will discern your call into the Catholic Church. No pressure will be used to make you enter the Church.

Talk to the RCIA director to see if their program is an orthodox/correct one–if it gels with what you know to be true. Some parishes have better programs than others and you will want your experience to be as theologically right as possible.

Before my older daughter decided to complete her initiation into the Catholic Church (a grand occasion, because both her and her younger sister did, and my wife was received into the Church - but I digress), she worshipped with a local independent Baptist congregation. And when they heard of her plans, they freaked, too! They wanted to hold an immediate accountability meeting, etc. etc. They definitely thought she was forsaking Christianity.

Do see if you can find a Catholic bible study to attend. There’s a rumour about that Catholics don’t hold Holy Scripture in high esteem. That’s not true, and you’ll find both a love of Holy Scripture and an incredible depth and richness in its interpretation.

Enjoy!

Blessings,

Gerry

I think you are wise to discontinue a protestant bible study. Find a Catholic bible study or prayer group in your area.

Good luck in your journey.

well i havent stopped going to my protestant bible study. i went this morning. and i loved it. we had a guest today and she was just finishing cancer treatments and is still stuggling with why she suffered so much. she was “claiming for healing from Jesus” i spoke with her later about christ’s suffering and the great good it accomplished. then i asked her if she felt her own suffering could accomplish any such purpose. she seemed surprised. she said she never thought of it that way.she said “with His suffering he saved us and afterall i couldnt save anyone”. all she had thought about was: God could and would be the source of her healing. but what suffering was good for she didnt know. but it opened the door to conversation.

i have not had to suffer much in my life and i really believe that those who suffer well (i have seen this) are very much like christ and i admire them very much. the catholic idea of suffering is much more developed and more helpful than our protestant one.

God bless you and guide you home theweeper!

Suffering is a part of life, we can try to run from it, ignore it, or fall into selfpity but the only way we can benefit from it is to attach it to the passion of our Lord. Place it at his feet by offereing it up to God. Our suffering on earth can relieve so much agony in purgatory that the holy souls will be forever grateful.

I pray you are lead into the fullness of the truth.

God Bless:)

When I started to pay attention to lives of many Catholic cannonized Saints, I’ve realized that many of them died at young age with all sort of sufferings, and the thing is thta they didn’t comlain!!!. The common things among them, they offered their sufferings to God for many good intentions.

From the Saints’ examples, I am learning to offer my sickness – something I had suffered for over 15 years now – for some intention of mine. It is a blessing that God allows us to do that and to be able to see that suffering can be a ‘good’ suffering. :slight_smile:

Suffering is not just good for ourselves but for those around us.

God bless you!

I am a protestant and know very well why God allows us to suffer. He is forming us into His work and using experiences in our lives to set us on the path to His plan for our life. Trials suck, for sure, but God is always waiting at the other end for us…and He’s always pulling for us to make it our trials that is why it is important to stay close to Him when bad things happen in our lives. I know this from experience…

My heart goes out to you.

Its up to you, and whether or not you are able to defend the faith, but you could be a very good witness to those protestants and you could fix and change the few they have on Catholicism. :thumbsup: But whatever works.

You might take a look at www.catholicprotestant.com.

They have a video and a study guide to be used in small groups, and it might be interesting for your group to go through this :thumbsup:

Ask your Catholic friends, what creed(s) they were talking about? :wink:

Clergy not originated by Jesus himself in person.

The Protestant bible is missing 7 books from the Old Testament. Protestant bible studies differ a lot from Catholic Bible studies, as the Catholic study (if it is truly Catholic) focuses on how to live as followers of Jesus Christ AND doctinal truths. The Protestant study is giving the Holy Sciptures a personal interpretation with minimal focus on doctrine.
[/quote]

Nevermind, it is none of my business, I have Quran, the prestine Word of God, the most secure and protected REVEALED book, it has no different versions, just one version in Arabic, all the world over. When Quran is there no need of any other Book, all spiritual needs of humanity are satisfied with Quran, full with Wisdom, rational ,logical and reasonable arguments, a peaceful and peace promoting Book indeed.

Peaceful? Prophet Mohammed’s message was clear, yet you seem to avoid that message or try to ignore it or something. The church removes gospels that are not in accordance with the other teachings, you as a muslim should understand that there is Satan right? And the evil that he brings forth, there is no doubt in my mind that Satan will obviously try to introduce false gospels, he has, and he has failed.

Paarsurrey:
Nevermind, it is none of my business, I have Quran, the prestine Word of God, the most secure and protected REVEALED book, it has no different versions, just one version in Arabic, all the world over. When Quran is there no need of any other Book, all spiritual needs of humanity are satisfied with Quran, full with Wisdom, rational ,logical and reasonable arguments, a peaceful and peace promoting Book indeed.

Peaceful? Prophet Mohammed’s message was clear, yet you seem to avoid that message or try to ignore it or something. The church removes gospels that are not in accordance with the other teachings, you as a muslim should understand that there is Satan right? And the evil that he brings forth, there is no doubt in my mind that Satan will obviously try to introduce false gospels, he has, and he has failed.

Hi

Then why should church publish in one hard cover, if the other books were from devil as you say.

Thanks

I often quote from the writings of the PromisedMessiah, to make it convenient for my Catholic friends to convert me to your cherished faith, if you refute his arguments and your arguments exceed that of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad’s arguments; I being steadfast on my faith, keep a window or a door open to welcome the truth from anywhere it comes to me. The Catholics are in this way in direct contest with Mirza Ghulam Ahmad.

I am pretty sure I am not understanding what you just said there, because to me it sounds like you are asking me why the Church isn’t publishing those ‘other’ books?

It doesn’t necessarily have to be from the devil, some gospels could have meant well but just did not contribute enough to be of important significance and etc…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.