Protestant bibles in Catholic hospitals?

I noticed that in the 2-3 Catholic Hospitals I’ve been to in my diocese, all the bibles are non-Catholic - some appear to be provided by the Gideons. I didn’t see one Catholic bible in a waiting room, or in the rooms I’ve visited. Granted I didn’t search the entire hospital, but when I asked a friend of mine who works in one she said “I never thought about that. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Catholic bible here either.”

Is this common?

if you become philosophical about it, is there such a thing as a Protestant Bible? all Bibles have one source, and thats the Catholic Church. even if Protestants remove some books, the remaining books are the same books that is in the full Bible we have in the Catholic Church.

But the footnotes are quite different!

Sounds like a good call for someone to take up the charge on. Perhaps you should find a catholic bible source that you can provide the hospital with free bibles, or get them to purchase some?

Cymonk

the thing is the Catholic Church knows its more than just the Bible and therefore the thrust of its ministries is not to put Bibles in hotels, hospitals, etc. it would rather spend that money to help the poor or in programs that actually uplift the dignity of human life. giving someone a copy of the Bible solely and no access to proper Catechism is encouraging the latest Protestant sect to take root.

I don’t know how much it matters as I have three Protestant Bibles (KJV, NIV, NKJV), two Catholic Bibles (St. Ignatius 2nd RSV, Dhouay-Rheims/Clementine Vulgate), one Jewish Hebrew-English Tanakh, and one Greek-English Septuagint, plus the Catholic New American Bible I borrowed from my parents.

Granted I’ve only read the last bible and Tanakh, and have yet to delve into the rest, but to me at least, the spirit of the message was the same even if the words weren’t exactly the same. Am I wrong?

Tell us what the footnote is for John:6 in the Protestant Bible as opposed to the footnote for John:6 in the Catholic Bible

Whether you agree that distributing bibles is a valid mission field or not, it is probably because the bibles are provided free by organizations like the Gideons.

Any bibles I have seen distributed in this manner are just the basic text without footnotes except with respect to alternate readings. The ones I have seen are either the King James Version, the New King James version and the New American Standard Bible.

If I were in hospital, I’d rather have a protestant Bible than no bible! If, for any reason, the Church or the hospital have not provided a Catholic bible, then I would thank the Gideons for theirs!

When I’m travelling I quite happily read the Gideon bible in the hotel room.

As far as I can recall, the Gideon bibles I’ve seen in the last 10 years are not KJV, but a modern tranlsation. They are also fairly compact, so don’t have interpretation footnotes.

The Gideon theme guide at the front has a protestant leaning, with an emphasis on Sola Fides and Sola Scriptura (along with other, non-controversial, themes), but it is not anti-Catholic. However, I think that should be a reason for the Catholic instutions to look at providing a Catholic bible. Perhaps black-out the erroneous themes! :smiley:

How would you like to live in Utah? There you can find “The Book of Mormon” everywhere, even in doctor’s offices.

I’d rather see a Protestant Bible any day rather than that.

But, I agree, in a Catholic hospital this is out of place. Perhaps if you have a Knights of Columbus in your state, of The Holy Name Society, they could make this a charitable project of their own and ask for donations of Bibles and also rosaries(with a little exclamation) of how to say it.

This would be a great apostolic endeavor, unless your “Catholic” hospitals are afraid of any flack that may cause. The least that they could do, is remove the Protestant Bibles.

They are probably provided by the Gideon Society and with the lack of catechetical teaching to most Catholics, they could be led astray even more.

And, I believe that many Catholics are patients in these hospitals, some elderly, so the Catholic material would be a comfort to them.

Christian Community Bible from Claretian, provide very cheap and good Catholic bibles, with Catholic footnotes.

Surely it would be possible for the hospital or the KSC to provide these.

Wow. That is sad that your Catholic hospitals have incomplete Bibles. Perhaps you should donate some Catholic Bibles and tell them that you would like to have them put in the waiting room?

The NKJV, NIV and KJV that I have don’t have any footnotes outside of cross-referencing verses from other books, nothing about its intended meaning.

Bare in mind that these are not study bibles. Come to think of it, my parents NAB Catholic Ed. is the only Bible that really had any footnotes that attempted to expand and explain anything that was referenced, yet it isn’t a study bible either.

I don’t know how incomplete the Protestant Bibles are in that they retain all New Testament Texts and Books or portions of Scripture of the Hebrew Old Testament.

Come to think of it, why don’t Catholic and Orthodox Bibles contain the full Greek Old Testament? For example, we only include 1 and 2 Maccabees, the Orthodox 3 Maccabees, but the Septuagint has all four. I could understand the scriptural traditions being somewhat divergent among the churches, but shouldn’t the establishment of the original Vulgate have rectified that?

My own personal take is the more books the merrier, but why aren’t all Septuagint books elevated to Deuterocanonical status?

The Gideons distribute King James or New King James versions of the Bible.

There is a complete version with the Old Testament and a shorter version (they are physically smaller…pocket sized) with the New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs.

Gideon Bibles do not have any footnotes or study notes except for an index that tells what scripture to read for different situations (example: feeling anxious etc.)

They are quite simple in their content as are the Gideons in their approach and the Gideons take care of all expenses.

=catechizeme;6885446]I noticed that in the 2-3 Catholic Hospitals I’ve been to in my diocese, all the bibles are non-Catholic - some appear to be provided by the Gideons. I didn’t see one Catholic bible in a waiting room, or in the rooms I’ve visited. Granted I didn’t search the entire hospital, but when I asked a friend of mine who works in one she said “I never thought about that. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Catholic bible here either.”

Is this common?

Pathetic:eek:

Just more evidence of if we can’t convert them; thn lets become like them. After Jesus wants One Church.

TRUE BUT He wants it to be HIS One Church! How hard is that to comprehend?

You have this turned all wrong. There is no such thing as a non-catholic bible. The KJV is the bible that is used common in Hospitals, because it is placed there by the Gideons International. It is a bible that can be used by any denomination of Christianity. Catholic, Non Denominational, Luthern, Methodist, Baptist, ETC… I own many different translations including KJV, NLT, NIV, New American Catholic, ESV, Johny Mac. It would be wrong for them to use a Bible that only the Catholic denomination of Christianity would be comfortable with, instead they can use a basic bible that all denominations of our faith can use, and btw the Bibles are the same they are just translated and worded a little different…same bible though. :bible1:

=DJ Representa;9061340]You have this turned all wrong. There is no such thing as a non-catholic bible. The KJV is the bible that is used common in Hospitals, because it is placed there by the Gideons International. It is a bible that can be used by any denomination of Christianity. Catholic, Non Denominational, Luthern, Methodist, Baptist, ETC… I own many different translations including KJV, NLT, NIV, New American Catholic, ESV, Johny Mac. It would be wrong for them to use a Bible that only the Catholic denomination of Christianity would be comfortable with, instead they can use a basic bible that all denominations of our faith can use, and btw the Bibles are the same they are just translated and worded a little different…same bible though. :bible1:

NO! IT CERTAINLY would not be wrong.:shrug:

All bibles that are not “Catholic bibles” are at BEST modied to alter Christ own teachings, and some even are missing seven of the original books of the bible.:rolleyes:

Sadly many organizations who term themsels Catholic talk the talk BUT DO NOT SUPPORT IT WITH FAITHFUL Actions:mad:

God Bless,
Pat

:blessyou:

I respect your opinion, but I know that you are wrong. Why can’t all Christians from all denominations put the denominational issues aside and work to further the kingdom of God. The Catholic church doesn’t have everything perfect, and neither does any other denomination…so why can’t we realize that we need as many believers in Christ to get together and worship, praise, equip, and evangleize in the name of Christ without even thinking of denominational issues. We must work together, after all we are all going to go to the same Heaven as believers in the same true God and Jesus Christ. No certain denomination reflects Christ the best…but we all can try…its time we unite for a common cause.:blessyou:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.