Protestant "Christening" Validity?

We’ve had a possible “game changer” over the Christmas season this year.

I’ve been trying to get the records from the United Methodist Church where I was told I’d been “baptized” at about 1 month old. After 2+ months of calling, asking, and not receiving anything, my mother dove deep into her “treasure trove” and unearthed my baby book for potential documentation.

What she unearthed said I had a private “Christening” and if there are any records in the church, it would likely be a christening, not a baptism.

Would this still be valid for the purposes of baptism within the Church? Will I need to be conditionally baptised? I’m now so incredibly confused. This was the one thing I thought was going to be cut and dried…silly me. :slight_smile: lol

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice you can give me on this situation.

Christening is another term for baptism.

These are questions for your priest. Methodists baptize infants and their baptism is valid. I don’t see any reason for a conditional baptism, but your priest is the final say in that regard.

I don’t think you have a “situation.” Just talk to your priest and give him the documentation you have and/or an affidavit of baptism signed by your parents.

Christening = Baptism, same thing different terminology.

Aslong as the Methodist Church uses the trinitarian formula (which i presume they do) the baptism is valid, since ordination is not a pre-requisit of being able to confer the Sacrament of Baptism, only valid matter (Water) and form (the trinitarian formula (in the name of the father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit)), which basicly means everyone can validly baptise, we’re only meant to though if the person is in danger of Death and a Priest or Deacon can’t be reached in time.

They follow the trinitarian formula. You should be fine!

Fabulous! :slight_smile: Thanks!

It’s been a high octane few weeks here and I was so scared this may have been the straw that broke the camel’s back. :slight_smile:

Thanks again!!!

But it will be announced, especially in grander masses (in our place), that people not baptised the Catholic way should not recieve the body (and blood) of Christ. Why is protestant baptism valid then?

They’re validly baptized, but they’re not in communion with the Church (partaking in the Eucharist is a sign of unity), and they may not believe that it is the true body and blood of Christ.

Their baptism is valid. But they are not in full communion with the Catholic Church and therefore cannot receive the Eucharist.

Those who *become *Catholic make a profession of faith acknowledging they desire to be a Catholic and complete the sacraments of initiation-- Confirmation and Eucharist. They are then in full communion with the Church.

Oh yeah…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.