Protestant Church Covenant

If someone was born Protestant and joined a Protestant church under a church covenant that said things like having been led as we believe by the spirit of God…having been baptised in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit…in the presence of God and this assembly enter into a covenant together as one body in Christ. Goes on to say not selling alcohol religiously educate children and if removed from this church find another to carry on the spirit of this covenant. And then comes to the realization of all the Catholic Church teaches and wishes to come into the faith does this cause issues. Is that covenant valid since it was made in a Protestant church with Protestant doctrine. I worry about vows/oaths and things like that. Thank you!

Interesting question.

Generally speaking, we are supposed to keep our word and not break our promises. Which is why we should be careful about what we promise.

I say generally because there are exceptions…a promise entered into under duress, or an agreement to do something sinful, are examples that would be invalid and not-binding in the first place.

In the example you have given, I would advise the person to speak to a priest about it. It likely would not be an impediment to becoming a Catholic, though it may need some discussion to figure out how binding (or not binding) it might be.

If the covenant was between the person and God, then (from the Catholic perspective) anything in it that went against Catholic teaching would be invalid anyway. You can’t enter into a covenant with God to do something that God doesn’t want you to do ;-).

But this sort of thing really should be sorted out with the help of a priest.

God bless!

Yeah I guess that’s a big part of my question can any covenant made in a Protestant church hinder joining the Catholic Church or would the Catholic Church by nature consider that invalid to start with?

Upon converting to Catholicism one needs to make a sincere confession. I think it would be wise to mention forsaking this covenant during such time. Perhaps or perhaps not. Since one was already mislead by protestant doctrines the covenant was based upon lack of knowledge and there fore invalid.

Nothing that could make you unable to be catholic would be valid. If you were compelled to act on a deal that was againat church teaching, well then you would be just a sinful catholic doing sin in God’s name.

wkj_123 #3
Yeah I guess that’s a big part of my question can any covenant made in a Protestant church hinder joining the Catholic Church or would the Catholic Church by nature consider that invalid to start with?

Of course any promise made without the fullness of Truth as found in the Catholic Church would be rendered invalid by the coming to that knowledge of Christ’s truths.

Explain your new commitment if necessary, but regardless, you are free to become a Catholic.

No it does not hinder in any way.

The covenant is not a valid one since it was done outside the authority of the Catholic Church.

You can simply ignore it. Or you can ask to be removed as a member.

For me, I was a member of my evangelical church. I simply wrote them a brief email renouncing my membership and explaining I was becoming Catholic.

Jesus said, "I AM the WAY, the TRUTH and the LIFE. It is NEVER wrong to follow the TRUTH. That cancels out all other so called promises. The Catholic Church is the ONE, TRUE Church. God Bless, Memaw

You are baptized into Christ. There is one baptism and one Church. You are already a member of the Body of Christ, though not united visibly to the Catholic Church. Your covenant is with God, not with an ecclesial community. And, God’s covenant is with his people through the Church.

Be at peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.