Protestant Claim of Jeremiah 12 Prophecy

Alright, so this protestant and I were talking and he claims that the book of Jeremiah is talking about the Jews gaining Israel and then coming to Christ. Can someone help me out?

-Karl

Well for one thing the Jews of today are not the Jews of the OT. Israel of today is not consistent with Exodus 19

5‘Now then, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine; 6and you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you shall speak to the sons of Israel.”

This always causes controversy but here goes. Israel is a product of Evangelical Protestants from Britian and the United Nations. So with that understanding the Israel that we call Israel is not the Israel of the Bible. Land does not equate to people. Isreal is people.

This is one of the scriptures from the prophet Jeremiah regarding the salvation of Israel through the Messiah, and the new covenant that he introduced by his sacrificial death.
This was one of last Sunday’s readings:

Jer. 31:31-34 (It is also quoted in Heb8:8-12 for those of us who are not of the Mosaic covenant).

**Behold the days shall come, saith the Lord, and I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Juda: Not according to the covenant which I made with their fathers, in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt: the covenant which they made void, and I had dominion over them, saith the Lord.

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel, after those days, saith the Lord: I will give my law in their bowels, and I will write it in their heart: and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying: Know the Lord: for all shall know me from the least of them even to the greatest, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.**

This does not sound like that Israel in the Middle East over there. Wow, sounds like the Israel of God is the Church.:slight_smile:

The New Testament is the first book we all should look at; in the book of Romans St. Paul clearly states that even if Israel is disobedient to God, God has not rejected his people and All Israel will be saved…there is not one mention of Palestine!

Romans 11:1 I ask then: Did God reject his people? By no means! I am an Israelite myself, a descendant of Abraham, from the tribe of Benjamin. 2God did not reject his people, whom he foreknew. Don’t you know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah—how he appealed to God against Israel:

25I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in. 26And so all Israel will be saved,

28As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, 29for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. 30Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, 31so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may nowh receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you. 32For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.