Protestant denominations and nomenclature?

This was partially discussed in Episcopalian V Anglican?
But I wanted to exapand this a bit more. So if anyone can help?

Anglican in the UK and Ireland seems interchangeable for Episcoplian in USA and Scotland.
I was wondering about other names and how they are interrelated.

Take Anglican, Presbyterian, Methodist etc. Are there any other big ones that act as a sort of umbrella oganisation or hub for the smaller ones.

Where does Lutheran, Baptist, Anabaptist, Calvinist, and any other terms people are familiar with fit in.

Then there are the groups that I’m not even sure are protestant, Seventh Day Adventist, Mormons, Church of Latter Day Saints, Jehovah Witness’ etc.

With so many different terms out there for different countries, and some interchangeable, I get a bit muddled up sometimes.

As I understand most Baptist groups can also be termed “Calvinist” as can Presbyterians.

Anabaptists are a separate line of believers who teach ‘believers baptism’, which Baptists do as well, but while Baptists were influenced by Calvinist thought most Anabaptists were not…Mennonite, Amish, Hutterites and Brethren have roots in Anabaptism…Brethren came out of the Pietist movement about 100 years or so after the Mennonites. Quakers have been named with the Anabaptists and share some common beliefs such as non-resistance and the Light Within, which among some Anabaptists is called the “Inner Word”. The Mennonite Brethren have been heavily influenced by Calvinist belief and have more in common with Baptists than Mennonites in some areas…some have even pulled away from the historic stance on “non-resistance”.

Methodists came out of the Anglican church and share many “Anglican” beliefs. Both the Methodists and Presbyterians have a very abbreviated “liturgy”.

Adventists, Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses all come from the “Adventist” movement of the 19th century…when the second advent of Christ had such high expectations…so different groups rallied around the second coming. Adventists have their beginnings with the “Great Disappointment” of the “Millerites”. The LDS looked for the establishment of the Kingdom of God on the American continent through the prophesy of Joseph Smith and the JW’s were founded also with the expectation of the immanent return of Christ.

Whew! That’s a lot in a short space:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.