Protestant Eschatology

I was wondering what position other Protestants on here hold on eschatology.

I’m amillennial.

My husband is amillennial. I am postmillennial.

Oooh, unequally yoked! :smiley: Actually, Catholics are both! :wink:

I’m slightly apathetic. Jesus said no one would know. What happens will happen. My trust, faith, and hope are in Him. I personally don’t like the belief in the Rapture simply because I’m tired of the fear based thinking on it. My two cents.

More along the lines that, since coming out of dispy pre-trib pre-mil, I haven’t wasted much time on the subject :wink: There are so many other things to worry about and knowing that eschatology is in the Lord’s hands and all will happen in His time is enough for me :smiley:

I wonder how many non catholics believe in the “personal judgement” immediately after death and then the “general judgement” of their eschatology belief’s? Or do they even know of this biblical teaching from scripture? Eschatology does not deal strictly with the interpretations of Revelations. The book of Revelations is a good news book for Catholics, not a book of gloom and disaster.

I believe that most mainline Protestant churches are amillenial while many Fundamentalist are premillenial, whether dispensationalists or not.

Paul3144,
Isn’t it a bit atypical for Baptist to be amillennial? Just curious.

Here’s a Lutheran POV.
lcms.org/pages/internal.asp?NavID=2743

Jon

Not atypical at all. Here’s what Southern Baptists are required to affirm about the end of the world, from the Baptist Faith and Message:

God, in His own time and in His own way, will bring the world to its appropriate end. According to His promise, Jesus Christ will return personally and visibly in glory to the earth; the dead will be raised; and Christ will judge all men in righteousness. The unrighteous will be consigned to Hell, the place of everlasting punishment. The righteous in their resurrected and glorified bodies will receive their reward and will dwell forever in Heaven with the Lord.

This is compatible with a number of views. Here’s the section on the Kingdom of God:

The Kingdom of God includes both His general sovereignty over the universe and His particular kingship over men who willfully acknowledge Him as King. Particularly the Kingdom is the realm of salvation into which men enter by trustful, childlike commitment to Jesus Christ. Christians ought to pray and to labor that the Kingdom may come and God’s will be done on earth. The full consummation of the Kingdom awaits the return of Jesus Christ and the end of this age.

Probably 20% of SBC church members are amill. In other Baptists groups the number is much higher. It’s just the pre-trib people that get all of the attention.

I learned something new. Thanks so much,
Jon

As a Friend, there is no “defined” belief concerning “eschatology”. Friends seek to live in 'realized eschatology", which in other traditions the sacraments point to…as on Friend wrote…

"We do not reject the spiritual realities toward which sacraments point. We recognize baptism as the transformation of life through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. We recognize communion as the presence of Jesus Christ in our corporate worship. We recognize ordination as the diverse giftedness for ministry of all people. We recognize these things, and rejoice in them, but we do not believe that the church should seek to initiate them through ritual means.

Without getting too deep into theology, it is important to bring in here the fact that our understanding of the** nature of the church is based on a realized eschatology of the new **covenant. The old system has passed away, and **Christ is present among ****us to lead us into an experience of the kingdom, here and now. **Therefore, we reject all interim structures of authority, and seek in all ways to be obedient to the immediate leadership of Christ. As the Friends in Lausanne stated, “We believe that a corporate practice of the presence of God, a corporate knowledge of Christ in our midst, a common experience of the work of the living Spirit, constitute the supremely real sacrament of a Holy Communion.” (Nuhn p. 20)

While the “end of days” may be interesting to speculate on and discuss, it offers no real life applications to us as the People of God. Getting too bogged down in the “end of days” can lead us into becoming blind to the needs of the “here and now”…to look toward “what might be” blinds us from “what is now” in many ways…the old addage of “so heavenly minded we are no earthly good” comes to mind.

I believe in panmillennial myself. Wait and see how things pan out.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.