Protestant Eucharistic Miracles

Do any exist?

I don’t understand the question. Since the valid Eucharist is possessed on by the Catholic and Orthodox churches, what types of miracles are you referring to?

Considering no Protestant group, from the highest Anglo-Catholic on down has a valid priesthood and/or actually believes in the Real Presence as taught by the Church, it’s not even possible. The Orthodox may have some, but I’ve never heard of any–that you’d have to ask in the Eastern Christianity forum.

Yes, I totally understand this and agree that only the Catholic Church has the true presence. But Lutherans, for example, believe they also are presenting the actual body and blood of our Lord. Thus, do Lutherans or any other denomination that claim the Real Presence claim to have miracles associated with the Eucharist in their respective churches? I’m having a hard time phrasing my question here…sorry. For example - there is a small Catholic Church in Italy. Are there any Protestant denominations that claim something similar?

Never heard of any protestant eucharistic miracles. And to be completely accurate, Lutherans don’t actually hold the same doctrine of the Real Presence. Whereas the Catholic Church teaches Transubstantiation, that the bread and wine are completely changed into Jesus Christ’s body, blood, soul and divinity, Lutherans believe in Consubstantiation- that Christ’s body and blood become present “in, with and under” the bread and wine.

my sister use to be catholic now he is attendind a christian church"disciples of christ". she also think that her eucharistic is the same as catholic. i already found some info. that contradict her belief. anyway i will approach the deacon of my parish hopefully he will help. anyway iam open to whoever can help me here. about the miracles i have read something about it.but the miracles have occur with the eucharistic in the catholic church. i haven’t heard or read non about fundamentalist ones. god blessed all. st jude pray for all…mayra

It is only you who say that only you can possess the real body and blood of Christ, but in all truthfulness, that is simply not true. Others besides Catholics believe in the real presence. The whole question lies in transubstantiation which your clergy attempts to explain a meta-physical change actually taking place. We simply don’t believe that it takes place and that it has to take place. Jesus is present in the bread and wine because of the celebration of the holy eucharist and what it is and what Jesus meant for it to be. I as a matter of fact have heard of two eucharistic miracles both in the Episcopal church if anyone cares to hear about them, I will tell you.

Go ahead, we’re all ears :yup:

A man from my parish whom I know very well suffers from severe rhumatoid arthritis. He and myself and several others attended a men’s Cursillo weekend where I saw this man in what I would refer to as writhing pain on the Friday in which we arrived at the parish where it was held. He hurt like hell wouldn’t have it all weekend as he did mostly otherwise. As the weekend activities led up to Sunday mass, you could see a faith building process in this man and after he received communion he rose up and walked like I have never seen before. He didn’t even realize it at first. When he did, he broke down in tears and the priest even noticed it and asked the man to come forward for a special blessing and prayer of thanksgiving after communion. He has since still had bouts with the arthritis but for several days following that particular Sunday, he was relieved of his terrible misery. Praise God on high!!! Amen…

That may be genuine faith healing, my friend, and God be praised for it, but we’re referring to miracles happening TO the Eucharist itself - where the host turns into real human flesh or the contents of the chalice into real blood.

There are dozens of such instances in the Catholic church dating back to the 700s in Lanciano, Italy.

Isn’t that what you proclaim it to be when the priest transubstantiates it???

Yeah but at your average Catholic Mass the host, at least in my experience :smiley: , doesn’t actually start to bleed real human blood nor take on the appearance of a piece of human flesh (later tested and confirmed to be heart muscle).

Nor do the contents of the chalice take on the look, taste etc of human blood. These are the sort of things that have happened at Lanciano and the other Catholic Eucharistic Miracles: therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/a3.html

All flesh and blood so far tested turns out to be of the fairly rare type AB, by the way, which is interesting in itself :smiley:

Now wait just a minute. Doesn’t the Catholic church profess that its clergy can actually change the bread and wine into the flesh and blood of Christ through transubstantiation? If that be the case, then your faith would have you wholeheartedly believe that it is the body and blood of Christ regardless of its visual characteristics.

Why would it matter what it looks like or more so be considered a miracle if that is what actually takes place at every mass?

So we do. It’s just additional confirmation, like the Apostles not just feeling that they’d received the Holy Spirit at Pentecost but also feeling the wind and seeing the tongues of flame.

Interestingly - the miracle of Lanciano happened to a priest who had been doubting the doctrine of the Real Presence and was wondering if his words really did change the bread and wine.

How would you know that?

Years ago I took a class in which we discussed the Eucharist. One day a member of the class told a story, that went something like this:

After her husband died she went through a period of deep darkness, wondering about God’s love and feeling abandoned. For about six months everytime she took Communion the host was warm in her mouth and the wine was hot and salty. Her (Lutheran) pastor told her it was a way God might express His love. At the end of the six months she received some emotional healing and it never happened again. She considered the whole thing very private and only brought it up to underscore that there was never any way she could accept a symbolic Eucharist.

I realize this is anecdotal, subjective and untestable. It’s also been at least 15 years since I heard her tell it. But there it is. There was no official investigation, nor would there have been one. This was an extremely private matter.

I know of no Protestants who reserve the Eucharist - something that would be almost required to have a testable Eucharistic miracle.

He said so - and it’s not the sort of thing a Catholic priest would usually lie about :wink:

I don’t know if it was common in the 8th century to reserve the Eucharist either :confused: but you can bet when that happened they did!

While at mass yesterday, when thinking about the Eucharist, I had a very profound thought, concerning the Eucharist and the Priesthood. It started out basically as “God is more present here than elsewhere, he is physically present” then changed to “why doesn’t my protestant friend believe in the real presence” and then turned into “no protestant denomination has the real presence, then separated from the Church.” Anyways - It probably doesn’t sound to profound, but when thinking about it - it was :frowning:

Catholig

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.