Protestant forums

Long story short-I registered on a protestant forum to try and provide a little Catholic insight amidst all the tired, outdated anti-Catholic allegations I’ve been seeing. After a few posts, all I can foresee in my future if I stay on that forum are many hours of banging my head against a wall.

It can be very disturbing. I have found that I must be willing to take one issue at a time, to be able to say “I don’t know, let me find out for you” without shame AND to be able to act with LOVE and not with the intention of converting anyone…remember, they love Jesus too. And most of them dislike a Church they know nothing about!

My prayers are with you.

[quote=CollegeKid]Long story short-I registered on a protestant forum to try and provide a little Catholic insight amidst all the tired, outdated anti-Catholic allegations I’ve been seeing. After a few posts, all I can foresee in my future if I stay on that forum are many hours of banging my head against a wall.
[/quote]

You are a brave soul. Just remember some of the comments that you receive from them then share the threads with those non-Catholics who visit this site and claim that we Catholics are intolerant. In college, you can get bombarded with anti-Catholic rhetoric since the campus is a fertile breeding ground of strong-willed groups such as Campus Crusade for Christ. Fortunately, you have this Web site to visit. When I was your age, I just stood there and took it, which explains my intolerance of anyone anti-Catholic these days.

Hang in there, both of you…tolerance is tough… I suffer from over-reaction and intolerance a lot of time myself. I try to remind myself that we cannot read tone on a website or in an email…always ALWAYS remember to start from one common ground…we all LOVE JESUS.

[quote=LSK]Hang in there, both of you…tolerance is tough… I suffer from over-reaction and intolerance a lot of time myself. I try to remind myself that we cannot read tone on a website or in an email…always ALWAYS remember to start from one common ground…we all LOVE JESUS.
[/quote]

That’s why I was lucky. I got the damnation speech from them face-to-face :smiley:

[quote=CollegeKid]Long story short-I registered on a protestant forum to try and provide a little Catholic insight amidst all the tired, outdated anti-Catholic allegations I’ve been seeing. After a few posts, all I can foresee in my future if I stay on that forum are many hours of banging my head against a wall.
[/quote]

As a new convert, I love this prayer

“Dear Jesus forgive us or our sins, save us from the fires of hell, and lead all souls to Heaven especially the ones who most need your mercy.”

Today when I come across one of my protestant friends who claim I am in need of salvation and I should run from the Church, I will pray this prayer with them and let them know this is a prayer that I pray everyday durring my rosary, its a neat eye opener for the anti catholics that think of our Church as the anti christ, but you will also notice that this prayer does not even phase them.

[quote=LSK]It can be very disturbing. I have found that I must be willing to take one issue at a time, to be able to say “I don’t know, let me find out for you” without shame AND to be able to act with LOVE and not with the intention of converting anyone…remember, they love Jesus too. And most of them dislike a Church they know nothing about!

My prayers are with you.
[/quote]

Thanks, and you’re right. I need to be careful on those sites so I don’t start responding sarcastically or in an otherwise uncharitable manner to those who disagree with me. I have to try and remember to respect their viewpoints. Too often I don’t think I show that type of charity because I get into a debate, rather than a thoughtful discussion. I have to remember that Protestants are our brothers and sisters in Christ.

I agree that some (or most) Protestant forums can be a little, shall we say, mean sometimes. But that happens here on CA as well. It happens EVERYWHERE. I have started a forums that will hopefully never see that kind of behavior as it is a forums to explore UNITY in christianity. Check it out if you want. I just hope I can have the kind of love and charity I see from most catholics on CA. I am one protestant trying to make a difference. We already have some catholics signed up as well as protestants. It’s brand new so not much activity but hopefully it will soon! Check out my website in my signature if you want to check them out! :slight_smile:

Forum Moderators: I understand this may be perceived as advertising other forums but I assure you that is not my intention. I just want to offer an alternative to what they think ALL protestant forums are about. If you need to have me edit it I will!

[quote=Singinbeauty]I agree that some (or most) Protestant forums can be a little, shall we say, mean sometimes. But that happens here on CA as well. It happens EVERYWHERE. I have started a forums that will hopefully never see that kind of behavior as it is a forums to explore UNITY in christianity. Check it out if you want. I just hope I can have the kind of love and charity I see from most catholics on CA. I am one protestant trying to make a difference. We already have some catholics signed up as well as protestants. It’s brand new so not much activity but hopefully it will soon! Check out my website in my signature if you want to check them out! :slight_smile:

Forum Moderators: I understand this may be perceived as advertising other forums but I assure you that is not my intention. I just want to offer an alternative to what they think ALL protestant forums are about. If you need to have me edit it I will!
[/quote]

I agree, although most people on CA forums are great and charitable if the Poster is charitable in their questions, some people are flat out rude, and obstruct some honest seekers to finding the truth of Catholicism.

[quote=Singinbeauty]I agree that some (or most) Protestant forums can be a little, shall we say, mean sometimes. But that happens here on CA as well. It happens EVERYWHERE. I have started a forums that will hopefully never see that kind of behavior as it is a forums to explore UNITY in christianity. Check it out if you want. I just hope I can have the kind of love and charity I see from most catholics on CA. I am one protestant trying to make a difference. We already have some catholics signed up as well as protestants. It’s brand new so not much activity but hopefully it will soon! Check out my website in my signature if you want to check them out! :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Yes, it does happen on CA too, but it just always seems like the same old thing on protestant forums-whenever Catholicism is brought up, someone unleashes a salvo of ten or so accusations against the Church, most of which are distortions of what we truly believe. When I see a posts like that, its almost overwhelming. You don’t know where to begin. It’s like trying to navigate your way through a sea of anti-Catholic bias.

On the other hand, sometimes people have thoughtful arguments too, and they are respectful.

I belong to a few different forums, one in particular is called conservativelife, for the most part the people are very conservative Christians, but mention anything Catholic, and they go bezerko on you. They offer all the typical anti-Catholic rhetoric that we’ve all heard before. I had been the only defender of the faith until recently I was joined by an RCIA catechument. Now he and I are the only two, and as two converts (I just came in this past Easter) we’re pretty zealous, still it’s an upward battle.

In my country, catholics and protestants are living together in harmony. I sometimes wondering why in the US (and other western community) being Catholic or Protestants have become so big deal for both sides

I think it’s because when you are attacked you get stronger defending your position.

When I was younger I never heard any anti-Catholic rhetoric and Protestants and Catholics in our neighborhood and at school got along just fine living in harmony because we didn’t argue about who was right and who was wrong. Protestants just went to different churches than we did.

When someone starts bringing up the differences it makes people want to defend themselves, which leads to insulting or misrepresenting the other side.

It’s like two children, one black and one white, playing together. They don’t realize they are of different ethnic backgrounds or cultures but when society tells them they are different, they begin to look at themselves differently.

That is because many believe they are already, once and for all, saved from the fires of hell and cannot lose their salvation, so a prayer such as this is not necessary as long as they have accepted Christ as their Savior.

I am on several and have been booted from a few as well. It really depends on the moderation. I have recently joined with several other Catholics on one in boycottting that forum because of the vitriol that they spout and the way they choose to punish Catholic posters and ignore the digs and jabs of non-Catholics. One of the worst offenders is the site admin. It’s pretty rough. They even have a section set side for Catholics that wes cannot even post in. After several months of doing the best we could, the boycot seems the only decent answer. Some of their people have shown up here and at another Catholic forum that I’m on, but I don’t think any of us will go back.

There are some decent ones out there and SinginBeauty’s has the potential to be a good one as it “grows up”. SB knows what she’s talking about and what she wants to avoid.

Here at CAF, I think the Mods & Admins to a grand job alltogether and that most of us know when we step over the line that they will be there to call us to account for a lack of charity or whatever, and it really doesn’t matter here if you are Catholic or not. If you break those Forum Rules and they get wind of it from a bad post report or their regular wanderings through the forums it doesn’t matter where you go to church you can find yourself “dealt with”.

One thing that I often have to remind myself is that I am not “morally bound” to enter any forum or thread and participate. There are enough sincere seeking people in this world that we can always find a soul who wants what we have to share if we just open our eyes, right? If someone is really “off the chain” as to the things that they say about the Catholic faith then if ya feel “led of the Spirit” to offer some correct info that is cool, but know when to dust off your sandals and walk away.

Sometimes I think we should put together a list of the most vitriolic anti-Catholic forums so people can avoid them because they are a waste of time.

Most often, I find that the Catholic Forums are the best because that is where the people come who really are serious about asking their questions and discussing it with us. To me, those are the ones that are led by the Holy Spirit to seek the fullness of truth, and the people that we are constantly training to help.

I hope this helps some and I realize that I have rambled like mad. Just remember “In your patience you shall possess your souls.” (Luke 21:19)
Pax vobiscum,

[quote=Church Militant]I am on several and have been booted from a few as well. It really depends on the moderation. I have recently joined with several other Catholics on one in boycottting that forum because of the vitriol that they spout and the way they choose to punish Catholic posters and ignore the digs and jabs of non-Catholics. One of the worst offenders is the site admin. It’s pretty rough. They even have a section set side for Catholics that wes cannot even post in. After several months of doing the best we could, the boycot seems the only decent answer. Some of their people have shown up here and at another Catholic forum that I’m on, but I don’t think any of us will go back.

There are some decent ones out there and SinginBeauty’s has the potential to be a good one as it “grows up”. SB knows what she’s talking about and what she wants to avoid.

Here at CAF, I think the Mods & Admins to a grand job alltogether and that most of us know when we step over the line that they will be there to call us to account for a lack of charity or whatever, and it really doesn’t matter here if you are Catholic or not. If you break those Forum Rules and they get wind of it from a bad post report or their regular wanderings through the forums it doesn’t matter where you go to church you can find yourself “dealt with”.

One thing that I often have to remind myself is that I am not “morally bound” to enter any forum or thread and participate. There are enough sincere seeking people in this world that we can always find a soul who wants what we have to share if we just open our eyes, right? If someone is really “off the chain” as to the things that they say about the Catholic faith then if ya feel “led of the Spirit” to offer some correct info that is cool, but know when to dust off your sandals and walk away.

Sometimes I think we should put together a list of the most vitriolic anti-Catholic forums so people can avoid them because they are a waste of time.

Most often, I find that the Catholic Forums are the best because that is where the people come who really are serious about asking their questions and discussing it with us. To me, those are the ones that are led by the Holy Spirit to seek the fullness of truth, and the people that we are constantly training to help.

I hope this helps some and I realize that I have rambled like mad. Just remember “In your patience you shall possess your souls.” (Luke 21:19)
Pax vobiscum,
[/quote]

I would be interested in knowing these forums because when I mention anti-Catholic rhetoric some of the non-Catholics on this site get their dander up and accuse us of being prejudiced. I think the comments made by Catholics toward the non-Catholics are very tame on this site and if they could see what we endure then maybe they would back off and realize that the hatred toward Catholicism is rampant in this country.

[quote=Han Ji Hye]In my country, catholics and protestants are living together in harmony. I sometimes wondering why in the US (and other western community) being Catholic or Protestants have become so big deal for both sides
[/quote]

I think it’s because our country was founded upon the principles of English Christianity, which was very anti-Catholic. Later with the insurgence of immigrants from Ireland, Italy, Poland, and other predominantly Catholic places, we saw more oposition to the bias. Our country is devided because of some very very deep roots.

Once upon a time, in England, they had a law much like our second ammendment (the right to keep and bear arms), the difference was, it only applied if you were protestant.

In Korea, Christianity, and the ability to practice it, is still fairly new, the divisions that affect our country, haven’t taken a strong hold in yours. If you are not getting treated any differently for being Catholic, than that is very good!

When I was protestant, I never knew about the prejudice against Catholics. Since I’ve converted, I’ve been told I’m going to hell, that I’m pagan, that I worship the Devil, or false idols, that I’m going to burn for eternity, and more. All of this, because I’m Catholic.

[quote=ABlindManSees]I think it’s because our country was founded upon the principles of English Christianity, which was very anti-Catholic. Later with the insurgence of immigrants from Ireland, Italy, Poland, and other predominantly Catholic places, we saw more oposition to the bias. Our country is devided because of some very very deep roots.

Once upon a time, in England, they had a law much like our second ammendment (the right to keep and bear arms), the difference was, it only applied if you were protestant.

In Korea, Christianity, and the ability to practice it, is still fairly new, the divisions that affect our country, haven’t taken a strong hold in yours. If you are not getting treated any differently for being Catholic, than that is very good!

When I was protestant, I never knew about the prejudice against Catholics. Since I’ve converted, I’ve been told I’m going to hell, that I’m pagan, that I worship the Devil, or false idols, that I’m going to burn for eternity, and more. All of this, because I’m Catholic.
[/quote]

Let us remember what historian Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr. said (paraphrase): “Anti-Catholic sentiment is the most deeply rooted bias in America.” Let us also remember that Catholic schools were outlawed in the colonies in the 18th century. Men like Charles Carroll, the only Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence, had to study in a Catholic school in France. Although the US Constitution protected religions, states did not universally support this creed. In 1833, the union between Church and State in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts was dissolved (up until then, Catholics had to pay for the support of the state’s Protestant Church), New Jersey retained its anti-Catholic Constitution until 1844, and New Hampshire eliminated its “no Catholic may hold public office” matter in 1877. The Tory element in the colonies, mostly associated with the Church of England, evolved in the Federalist Party and worked to assure Protestantism prominence.

John Jay, a Tory who later became Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, created in the State of New York’s Constitution a provision which denied the privilege of citizenship to every foreign-born Catholic unless he would first renounce all allegiance to the pope in matters ecclesiastical. This provision remained in force until 1821. From this Federalist perspective rose, in the early 19th century, nativists, specifically Protestant Americans (who had endorsed the Aliens Act in the late 18th century to eliminate the rights of immigrants, focused their attention toward Catholics). Rising from this Protestant American nativism was the American Party, better know as the Know-Nothing Party with Samuel Morse as its leader.

The nativists complained that the Catholic immigrants were “superstitious, ignorant, and dominated by their priests.” Anti-Catholicism sentiment and the evils of the Popery were promoted mostly from the pulpit. Catholicism was ridiculed and misrepresented. There were riots in Philadelphia (1844) where Catholic churches were burned and Irish Catholic homes burned and hostile demonstrations, attacks, and violence in Providence, RI (1851),and Boston, Wheeling, WV, St. Louis, and Cincinnati (1853). The Know-Nothings (formed from the “American Republicans”, the “Order of United Americans”, “Sons of America”, and “United American Mechanics of the United States” and adopted the title of “National Council of the United States of North America” and among the initiate it was called the “Supreme Order of the Star-spangled Banner”) declare in Article II: “the purpose of the organization to be “to protect every American citizen in the legal and proper exercise of all his civil and religious rights and privileges; to resist the insidious policy of the Church of Rome and all other foreign influence against our republican institutions in all lawful ways; to place in all offices of honor, trust or profit in the gift of the people or by appointment none but Native American Protestant citizens.” Article III declared “that a member must be a native-born citizen, a Protestant either born of Protestant parents or reared under Protestant influence, and not united in marriage with a Roman Catholic. . .no member who has a Roman Catholic wife shall be eligible to office in this order”, etc.

Thankfully, the Know-Nothings split over the slavery issue, but the Klu Klux Klan added anti-Catholicism to their hate list and it carried through into the 20th century. Why was John Kennedy’s religious affiliation big deal in 1960? Why is it a big deal that there are 4 Catholics on the US Supreme Court with a 5th Catholic nominee before the Senate?

To deny the anti-Catholic sentiment that has run rampant in the country, beginning with the Puritans who left England to escape the Romanish trappings, is to ignore that it continues to this day.

[quote=LSK]It can be very disturbing. I have found that I must be willing to take one issue at a time, to be able to say “I don’t know, let me find out for you” without shame AND to be able to act with LOVE and not with the intention of converting anyone…remember, they love Jesus too. And most of them dislike a Church they know nothing about!

My prayers are with you.
[/quote]

this needs to be said for those boards and catholic boards too. as a non-catholic on this board its not as if its any different here. especially your last sentence in your quote…i find that is the same approach here. so its not about being non-catholic vs. catholic…when you are the miniority it is that way…period

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.