Protestant heresies

A protestant friend of mine posted a Christianity Today article on facebook.

christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/october-web-only/new-poll-finds-evangelicals-favorite-heresies.html

Any protestant heresies I can mention in the comment section?

I don’t understand what you are asking, the entire article is about heresies. Do you feel you should add to it?

The point of the article seems to be what “mainstream Protestant” beliefs that Protestant Evangelicals don’t uniformly hold. Not sure that’s an appropriate place for Catholic input.

I would keep my nose out of it!

Of course, you realize that any Protestant beliefs are considered heresy by the Catholic Church?

The one good thing about the artice is that not all Protestants believe alike. :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

Easiest question ever. All of those heresies may be summed up together as one common heresy.

Wait for it…

Protestantism.

1 Like

I think this statement needs a little clarification. :slight_smile: The Catholic Church holds that much/most protestants beliefs are not heretical. Only the few we differ on. :thumbsup:

Peace!!!

regardless the stripe, protestantism is one of The Great Heresies in history

Well, I’d like to see the average Catholic in the pew polled about orthodox theology and see if 0% of respondents believe in semi-Arianism or semi-Pelagianism. Much of this can be explained by simple confusion of the respondents, who are probably not a pastor or theologian.

Another problem is that this poll was of “self-described” evangelicals, so some or many of those polled may not even be regular church attenders or only “cultural evangelicals.” I would say that a poll of “self-described” is not a good indicator of what evangelical churches are actually teaching.

This makes me glad that I am Catholic…part of a church that takes seriously the commission to *" Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” ***[FONT=Georgia]and that draws its teachings not only from the Word of God but from the entire deposit of faith which includes the early church councils.[/FONT]

And just how often have you ever heard your pastor or any teacher refer to the writings of the early church or any of the early church councils? I was a deacon in the AoG and we never heard even a whisper about it.

Is there any thing in the Statement of Fundamental Truths that goes against the Nicene Creed? The AG spends a vast amount of time in its creedal statement defending the doctrine of the Trinity. Pentecostals don’t talk about the creeds often, but we do adhere to basic Christian orthodoxy.

For your information, I attended a Pentecostal Holiness Church school for elementary and middle school. We were taught to memorize the Apostle’s Creed.

Fascinating since I served under two pastors and we never heard any such thing and never anything about the Apostles Creed. Having grown up in the Catholic Church I was probably the only person who’d have known it.

For your information, I attended a Pentecostal Holiness Church school for elementary and middle school. We were taught to memorize the Apostle’s Creed.

And how much of it do you actually believe? I’ll post it here for you so you can be specific…

[LIST=1]
*]I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
*]Creator of Heaven and earth;
*] and in Jesus Christ, His only Son Our Lord,
*] Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
*] He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;
*] He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
*] I believe in the Holy Spirit,
*]the holy Catholic Church,
*]the communion of saints,
*]the forgiveness of sins,
*]the resurrection of the body
*]and life everlasting.
*] Amen.
[/LIST]

Then too, there is the Nicene Creed, so I’ll post it as well and you can be specific on this one as well.
The Nicene Creed

[LIST=1]
*]I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
*]maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.
*]I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
*]the Only Begotten Son of God,
*]born of the Father before all ages.
*]God from God, Light from Light,
*]true God from true God,
*]begotten, not made,

*]consubstantial with the Father;
*]through him all things were made.
*]For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
*]and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
*]and became man.
*]For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
*]he suffered death and was buried,
*]and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
*]He ascended into heaven
*]and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
*]He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead
*]and his kingdom will have no end.
*]I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,

*]who proceeds from the Father and the Son,

*]who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,

*]who has spoken through the prophets.
*]I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
*]I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins
*]and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead
*]and the life of the world to come.

*]Amen.
[/LIST]

I believe all of it. This is basic Christian doctrine and quite biblical. There is a holy, universal Church, of which all who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ have been called out from the world and consecrated to God. We are all members of one body. We are a fellowship and communion of holy people, i.e. saints.

I believe all of it. Surely, as a AG deacon, you affirmed that there was one God who existed in three persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) and that Jesus Christ became man, was crucified, buried, rose again, and ascended into Heaven? Surely, as an AG deacon, you believed that Jesus was born of a Virgin and that in him alone is salvation found? Surely, as an AG deacon, you believed there was one Church in which all who had been washed in the blood of the Lamb had been “baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body–whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free–and we were all given the one Spirit to drink” (1 Corinthians 12:13)? Surely, you believed in an afterlife–eternity in the presence of God for the righteous and eternity in hell for the unrighteous?

Okay…so then you have a bit of a dilemma in that you say you believe it all (even as the early church did?) because you give assent to [FONT=Georgia][size=4]the holy Catholic Church, which would be the same one named in the 1st century writings of Ignatius of Antioch where he says [/size][/FONT]

[size=4]CHAP. VIII.–LET NOTHING BE DONE WITHOUT THE BISHOP.

[/size][size=4][size=4]See that ye all follow the bishop, even as Christ Jesus does the Father, and the presbytery as ye would the apostles. Do ye also reverence the deacons, as those that carry out [through their office] the appointment of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper(18) Eucharist, which is[administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude [of the people] also be; by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude [of the people] also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.[/size][/size] It is not lawful without the bishop either to baptize or to celebrate a love-feast; but whatsoever he shall approve of, that is also pleasing to God, so that everything that is done may be secure and valid.(2) even as where Christ is, there does all the heavenly host stand by, waiting upon Him as the Chief Captain of the Lord’s might, and the Governor of every intelligent nature. It is not lawful without the bishop either to baptize, or to offer, or to present sacrifice, or to celebrate a love-feast.(1) But that which seems good to him, is also well-pleasing to God, that everything ye do may be secure and valid.

[FONT=Georgia][size=4](Emphasis mine) Then also you have stated that you assent to the following from the Nicene Creed, which states, [/size][/FONT]

I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins

[FONT=Georgia][size=4]My question to you then becomes “where is this authentic and verifiable apostolic connection in your community?”

Then also I have to ask you if you also believe as stated that baptism is essential and necessary for the forgiveness of sins and salvation? Do you accept as the creed states that baptism is not optional, but necessary for one to be saved and is this what you and all those in communion with you believe and preach?
[/size][/FONT]

I believe it all because it is in agreement with Scripture. If it were not, I would not be able to assent to it, no matter what council of men promulgated it.

I recognize that there is one holy catholic Church. It’s bigger than the Catholic Church led by the Pope.

I actually don’t agree with Ignatius. The church’s existence is not dependent on the office of the bishop, but rather the office of the bishop exists to serve the church and is chosen by the church to serve the church and Christ.

I accept what the creed states: “I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins”. I accept this because it is Scriptural. Ephesians 4:4-6 states, “There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call—one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.” In Acts 2:38, Peter preaches, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Pentecostals do not believe that baptism is “optional.” It is a direct command of Christ that his followers be baptized, and failure to obey this command is disobedience to the Lord. What we believe is that the act of baptism does not save or regenerate. It does symbolize regeneration. It symbolizes the “circumcision made without hands” and “the circumcision of Christ” that God makes possible by uniting believers to Christ in his death and resurrection. It is this union that baptism signifies. Baptism witnesses to the remission of sins and justification. Baptism tells the Christian that he must die to sin and rise to righteousness, and it obliges and encourages the recipient to hope in God for sanctification and glorification.

And therein lies your most serious doctrinal dilemma that has been dealt with here many times before. The fact that the doctrine of Sola Scriptura itself contradicts scripture since it is nowhere found in the Word of God.

You can see what I mean by looking into the following three threads. (Keep in mind that it’s not something that we should get into in this discussion, but it certainly something that you will want to resolve. Perhaps by opening a new thread on it?)

[LIST]
*]It’s NOT in the Bible, okay?
*]It’s NOT in the Bible, okay? (Part II)
*] “If anyone teaches/preaches something that is not in scripture”
[/LIST]

I recognize that there is one holy catholic Church. It’s bigger than the Catholic Church led by the Pope.

A common response from n-Cs, but not one that agrees with either the New Testament or the writings of the early church. Which is the point of the CT article…

I actually don’t agree with Ignatius. The church’s existence is not dependent on the office of the bishop, but rather the office of the bishop exists to serve the church and is chosen by the church to serve the church and Christ.

Yet Ignatius was a direct disciple of the apostle John the evangelist and himself the bishop of the city of Antioch so you might reconsider based on who is actually closer to source.

I accept what the creed states: “I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins”. I accept this because it is Scriptural. Ephesians 4:4-6 states, “There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call—one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.” In Acts 2:38, Peter preaches, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Ah, but then you have that same New Testament author, St. Paul, stating in Acts 22:16 that he was told "And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’ " Thus plainly stating that baptism sacramentally washes away sins.

Pentecostals do not believe that baptism is “optional.” It is a direct command of Christ that his followers be baptized, and failure to obey this command is disobedience to the Lord. What we believe is that the act of baptism does not save or regenerate. It does symbolize regeneration. It symbolizes the “circumcision made without hands” and “the circumcision of Christ” that God makes possible by uniting believers to Christ in his death and resurrection. It is this union that baptism signifies. Baptism witnesses to the remission of sins and justification. Baptism tells the Christian that he must die to sin and rise to righteousness, and it obliges and encourages the recipient to hope in God for sanctification and glorification.

I know this well, but it is error in that nowhere does the New Testament state that baptism is only symbolic, as St Paul was plainly told and the writings of the early church affirm again and again.

You also have the further dilemma of the fact that there is no authoritative agreement among n-Cs (or even just Pentecostals for that matter) about this so that instead of one church community, you have many teaching a wide diversity of doctrines and interpretations of scripture. This too is something that you will perhaps wish to resolve in another discussion thread.

Hi Church Militant: I do like your posts but is there some reason as to why you need to use a large font big enough that a blind person can read it?

Not everyone has 20/20 vision…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.