Protestant heresies

Hi Church Militant: OK Bit I seem to remember that some time ago, maybe a years or so you did not use such a large font. So was wondering. Not complaining.

Time passes…

Hi Church Militant: Understood. I do like your posts and I do learn something every time a read them. Thanks for your posts.

Stay on topic, you must.

Here is a common Protestant heresy:

Mary was just an incubator, the mother of his humanity only. Mary was not the Mother of God.

Indeed. We mothers are not mothers of divided beings. We are mothers of human beings.

And just as I wouldn’t say, “I gave birth to a human nature!” …we ought not proclaim that “Mary gave birth to a human nature!”

Hi Randy.

This is why I dislike the word “protestant” the way it is used today.

I know you know this, but for those who don’t, from the Lutheran Confessions

24 On account of this personal union and communion of the natures, Mary, the most blessed Virgin, bore not a mere man, but, as the angel [Gabriel] testifies, such a man as is truly the Son of the most high God, who showed His divine majesty even in His mother’s womb, inasmuch as He was born of a virgin, with her virginity inviolate. Therefore she is truly the mother of God, and nevertheless remained a virgin.

Jon

You must have only one child because once you have more than one, they always seem to be divided over one thing or another. The beings in my house always were. :stuck_out_tongue:

And this is why I have such great hope for you, Jon. :thumbsup:

:p:D;):thumbsup:

All protestants are heretics and schismatics. All members of the orthodox sect are also schismatics. They may not know it, but objectively speaking, that is what they are.

1 Like

This is contrary to Church teaching. Our catechism, which is the “sure norm” for the faith, declares: “However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers. . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church.”-CCC 818

It would be the height of irony if, in posting this, Unam Ecclesiam was refusing to submit to this teaching of our Church–for that would make him, by his own statement, a heretic.

If it were true what he had posted, of course.

Fortunately, what was posted by Unam Ecclesiam is incorrect.

Thanks for that. Lutherans are so close to us that we can always hope and pray that you come back into communion.

It is my opinion that that diversity among Protestants is not a good thing since it creates a wide variety of doctrinal interpretations while all professing to be Spirit led yet displaying a disorder that, according to 1st Corinthians 14:33 cannot be the work of the Holy Spirit.

Hence…the heresies.

They’re still heretics… Arius was a Christian, he believed in Christ. He was still a heretic… We call the people that have been born into protestantism our brothers because many actually think that they are following/worshipping Christ.

Nope.

That’s not what our catechism says.

To be a heretic one has to have been Catholic, and then willfully rejected the Apostolic faith.

Arius was a Christian, he believed in Christ. He was still a heretic…

Yep.

We call the people that have been born into protestantism our brothers because many actually think that they are following/worshipping Christ.

Indeed.

It’s only true if the leave the CC since most are born into whatever Protestant denomination, they are not heretics. Also it is not what the CCC says about it.

Cannon 4 in the Council of Trent of the Canon on Baptism says: “If anyone says that the baptism which is given by heretics in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, with the intention of doing what the Church does, is not true baptism,[12] let him be anathema.”

The heretics dealt with in the Council of Trent were protestants. Even if the CCC doesn’t call them that, it doesn’t change what they are. Look up the word heretic. From the Catholic Encyclopedia:

“The nineteenth ecumenical council opened at Trent on 13 December, 1545, and closed there on 4 December, 1563. Its main object was the definitive determination of the doctrines of the Church in answer to the heresies of the Protestants”.

and later:

“The dogma of justification brought up for debate one of the fundamental questions which had to be discussed with reference to the heretics of the sixteenth century, and which in itself presented great difficulties.”

once more:

“To the chapters on penance were added fifteen canons condemning heretical teachings on this point, and four canons condemning heresies to the chapters on unction.”

People that preach heresy are heretics. Just because you don’t call them that, doesn’t mean that they’re not.

Amen!

The heretics dealt with in the Council of Trent were protestants.

Indeed. They were Catholics who rejected the faith they were baptized in, and then became Protestants.

Even if the CCC doesn’t call them that, it doesn’t change what they are. Look up the word heretic. From the Catholic Encyclopedia:

“The nineteenth ecumenical council opened at Trent on 13 December, 1545, and closed there on 4 December, 1563. Its main object was the definitive determination of the doctrines of the Church in answer to the heresies of the Protestants”.

and later:

“The dogma of justification brought up for debate one of the fundamental questions which had to be discussed with reference to the heretics of the sixteenth century, and which in itself presented great difficulties.”

once more:

“To the chapters on penance were added fifteen canons condemning heretical teachings on this point, and four canons condemning heresies to the chapters on unction.”

Amen!

People that preach heresy are heretics. Just because you don’t call them that, doesn’t mean that they’re not.

No doubt. If they intend to preach it as heresy.

However, most of our Protestant brethren have not been baptized into our Catholic Faith, been catechized into it, and then willfully rejected it.

Therefore, they cannot be given the label of heretic.

Its like listening to a conversation about me, in my presence. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.