Protestant Heresy

I’m new to Catholism but I find myself deep and totally emgersed in it. Like I’m am starting to have a little better picture. I grew up Southern Baptist and went to a private christain school, but something wasn’t quite right. When I started asking questions about the faith they showed themselves to being not what they seemed. They didn’t want me asking questions about Protestant faith and when I turned to Catholism the Protestants called thought I had lost my mind. Don’t mean to vent but I feel there teachings lead me to a dangerous life, it’s dangerous to be that close to a helaious lifestyle. What does the Bible say about heresy and heretics? And the Catholic Church? Any personal thoughts? And anyone agree that heretics are dangerous. Pray for me. And pray I say things with love and out of love and that fear and hurt don’t speak but I do also feel that heretics are hurtful some not meaning to be but it would have been nice to know church truth earlier in life. It seems that most heretics are just wanting a show or drama or spectacle. God and Jesus I pray the heretics let go of christain people.amen

Heresy began as the Apostles preached the Gospel. Paul and Peter both wrote of them. It is the worst side of human nature to indulge the self rather than to willingly submit to higher authority. Don’t like the Church that Christ founded? Sketch a new image of Christ while gazing in the mirror. In each and every case of heresy, the beliefs trace back to a single man or woman.

Heresy is not new or exclusive to Protestants, St Paul wrote: ‘After a first and second warning, break off contact
with a heretic, realizing that such a person is perverted and sinful and stands self-condemned.’ Titus 3:10-11

Yes and I would add that the first one to twist interpretation of Scripture (like Protestants do) was Satan himself when he tempted Christ in the desert.

That is certain! Pride and ego were involved there as well.

Heresy is a belief and act against the Faith; it is something that has existed from the Beginning.

The first recorded act is found in Genesis; when Cain envied Abel’s relationship with God instead of correcting his error he ended up conspiring against God and Abel and eventually murdering his brother.

Protestantism is a rebellion against Church Authority. It is the reason why we have so many thousands of schism in the Body of Christ–everyone wants to be autonomous–while they reject the Authority of the Church claiming to not want to follow one man (Pope) they make themselves their own authority (myriads of popes).

Sadly, there are so many levels in Protestant understanding (faith base) that most of even the more well-meaning of them cannot see strife and division as bad. They pretend that they are not divided from the Body of Christ but only seeking the “true” church.

Heresy is indeed bad. But as St. James already stated if we come near to God God will Come near to us; also, we must not fear heresy since Greater is He that is In us than he that is in the world.

You’ve taken steps to embrace Christ Body in the Fullness of His Church; continue on this trek; go to your local parish Mass as often as possible; study the Holy Scriptures under the Guidance of the Church; get involved with Church history and the Catechism so that your knowledge can help you mature in the Faith.

Welcome Home!

Thank you for your prayers; I will keep you in mine.

May the Holy Spirit Guide your every step and thought; remain humble in the Lord and He will Lift you up!

Maran atha!

Angel

Put simply, taking this in steps, using scripture (be sure to open the links and internal links in the links)

1. what does the bible say about heresy and heretics?

• Paul to Bishop Titus, Titus 3:10-11 the Greek word used in this passage is Heresy / divisive./ schism αἱρετικὸν , from the Greek study bible , IOW one who is disposed to form sects, heresies, schisms etc… The consequences? Paul says “After admonishing such a person once or twice, have nothing more to do with them, They are perverted, and in grave sin, hence that person is self condemned.
  2. I’ll add, what does the bible say about division from Our Lord’s Church, built on Peter and those in union with him ?

• Division / dissension διχοστασίαι, That same Greek word is used in both the following passages
      Rm 16:17-21 & Gal 5:19-21
      Why are they all grave (mortal) sins? Note the consequences? (Gal 5:21] “I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. “ IOW they go to hell when they die in that sin.
  3. Catholic Church

My daily Mass and Rosary ascending as we speak, for your intentions.

As an aside, in your name you misspelled catholicism.

Huh

What kind of "this " lifestyle are you being led to because of your denomination?

If that is your actual intended words, I have no idea which kind of “Protestants” you are dealing with.

“Pride and ego” is the norm of humanity hence the very problem referred to!

Claiming to be of some very specific divine authority does not exempt that as history has shown time and again!

Jesus said when we put our hand to the plow we should not turn back (I think that was Jesus). The Catholic faith is like a treasure hidden in a field. When a man finds it, he sells all he has and buys it.

Pray for heretics.

There are many errors of logic in Protestantism. A big one: the idea is supposed to be that everyone interprets scripture the way they want. Of course what they mean is – interpret it any way except the Catholic way. So, they contradict themselves on the matter of individual belief. That idea is sadly ridiculous. But, it isn’t worth arguing with them about it. You might politely mention it, but don’t argue the point.

Also, the wodr christ is the greek for the hebrew messiah, which means annointed. In Baptism we are anointed with the Holy Spirit. Again, not a big deal to argue about whether Catholics are Christians. It doesn’t change anything to argue. Catholics are anointed in Baptism.

Protestants are our Christian brothers and sisters.

Are they in error? Yes.

Should we go around calling them heretics and fearing them? No.

I’m not sure what is leading you to describe being close to them as a hellacious lifestyle but if you just mean you are contentiously arguing with them and they with you, you may want to avoid the subject, pray for them and live peacefully side by side. Sometimes when we convert or revert to the faith, we can be a little over zealous and defensive of our choice which can lead to behavior that is not what Christ would ask of us.

To your point about error, … yes.

Because

objectively speaking, in history, Protestantism is one of the great heresies.

Therefore,

If my brother or sister was in heresy I’d say something, I wouldn’t keep quiet about it. I’d find a way to get to the point charitably but get to the point just the same. But that’s me.

"Helaious”? Translation, please? Can this be what you mean:

Basically everywhere in the Bible where we are told to be of one mind or have one faith or that the Church is led by the Holy Spirit or speaks for Christ (“who hears you hears Me”) is an admonition against heresy, which breaks the unity of faith.

Heresy is a sin against faith and therefore a mortal sin. Without faith it is impossible to please God. That being said, simply being wrong is not a sin–someone who is mistaken in good faith is not a heretic strictly defined–this is especially the case when the person was born and raised in a separated community. While the first commandment requires us to nourish and protect our faith with prudence and vigilance, and to reject everything that is opposed to it, we should also treat those people in error with charity and compassion.

Well, sure. We should point out error and if both sides in the conversation are open to debating points without getting heated and over-emotional, then that can be very fruitful.

It sounds like the OP isn’t having that experience with the Protestants he’s dealing with and living in peace and charity could be more fruitful than “hellacious” experiences being around them.

The virtue of prudence helps us discern the better route.

To your point,

In this post , points 1 & 2 show that Paul made 2 warnings to people in error. He didn’t beat anyone over the head, he didn’t constantly warn ad nauseam. He was direct, he didn’t get all fluffy and gushy, worrying about politically correct statements. He got to the point and moved on.

Just being transparent, I think that directness, and not spending time warning over and over, was because he knew how huge the job ahead of him was, and his time was short… He didn’t waste time arguing with people who in effect don’t have the faith that Jesus taught and that the apostles were passing on. For example, Paul complements the Church of Rome for their faith as in “obedience of faith”. And in the end of this letter Paul warns the Church of Rome about those who cause division . It doesn’t get clearer than that. That’s the same Church Pope Francis, 266th successor to St Peter. is over

As Aquinas said (paraphrased)

to those who have faith no explanation is necessary, to one with no faith no explanation is sufficient

IOW if one seems to be immune to explanation properly referenced, and won’t change, and no explanation is sufficient for them, then faith is missing.

To reply to you. Bible verses about heretics. 2nd Epistle John:
Truth vs. Error
1The Elder to the Elect Lady, and those born of her, whom I love in the truth: and not I alone, but also all those who have known the truth, 2because the truth which dwells in us shall be with us for eternity. 3May grace, mercy, and peace be with you from God the Father, and from Christ Jesus, the Son of the Father, in truth and in love. 4I was very glad because I discovered some of your sons walking in the truth, just as we received the commandment from the Father. 5And now I petition you, Lady, not as if writing a new commandment to you, but instead that commandment which we have had from the beginning: that we love one another. 6And this is love: that we walk according to his commandments. For this is the commandment that you have heard in the same way from the beginning, and in which you should walk. 7For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess that Jesus Christ has arrived in the flesh. Such a one as this is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8Be cautious for yourselves, lest you lose what you have accomplished, and so that, instead, you may receive a full reward. 9Everyone who withdraws and does not remain in the doctrine of Christ, does not have God. Whoever remains in the doctrine, such a one as this has both the Father and the Son. 10If anyone comes to you, and does not bring this doctrine, do not be willing to receive him into the house, and do not speak a greeting to him. 11For whoever speaks a greeting to him, is speaking with his evil works. 12I have much more to write to you, but I am not willing to do so through paper and ink. For I hope that I may be with you in the future, and that I may speak face to face, so that your joy may be full. 13The sons of your Elect Sister greet you.

Yep, Paul was direct.

I am a catholic that tries to read the bible and often struggle with the different interpretations of scripture both by our catholic church and other protestant sects. I do not believe that all protestants are heretics. I feel that if you believe the Christ is our savior that makes me as a Catholic and any protestant a Christian.

Your okay :innocent: - your in the early stages -
and may I say - thee most glorious of stages.
I never heard of Protestants - giving a ‘convert’ Catholic a hard time - lol !
You haven’t lost your mind - you’re EXPANDING your mind !
People who have closed minds - most always - revert to drama and acting -
Jesus said to leave them alone…just let the blind lead the blind…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.