Protestant in Adoration Chapel

okay, so my mother, who is a protestant (i am a convert) is unable to attend her church right now because of some personal issues. (briefly, my sister and her fiance broke up, and he was like a son to my mother, and he attends that church too… it is too hard for my mother to see him because of what my sister put him through.) ANYWAY, she feels seperated from God, and wants to be able to feel his presence in a quiet and peaceful space. I told her she should go down the street to my Church, and sit in front of the Blessed Sacrement in the adoration chapel. what are your thoughts on this?

I’m sorry to hear about your family situation. But I think you have given some great advice. Anyone is welcome into the presence of Jesus through the Blessed Sacrament. Jesus welcomes everyone, regardless of denomination etc. Galatians 3:28 says exactly that. We are all one in the eyes of God.

I hope your mother can find some comfort in this difficult time.

Thank you so much for your affirmation and kind words.

Seems like a good idea to me. However, I suggest that you also tell her your experience when sitting in front of the Blessed Sacrament. And, make sure that she knows our beliefs, that she will be in the presence of the physical body, blood, soul, and divinity of Christ. There is no need to start an argument, so if she is opposed to it, then drop it because this might be a turn off for someone protesting the Church. Her idea of a “quiet place” might be a park in the morning.

Absolutely invite her to experience God’s presence in the Adoration Chapel.
There is no need for any theological discussion, only a readiness to respond with honesty to any questions she may have.

I think it’s a wonderful idea - as long as she understands proper etiquette for being in adoration, I can’t imagine a better way for your mother to spend some of her time.

Be ready for a lot of questions afterward though — and pray they result in a desire for the fullness of Truth!!

~Liza

I am in favor of anyone goint to adoration. It is usually a nice quiet place to pray.

But a point of interest for the mother…

It is not the physical body and blood. It is the entire substance of the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ under the appearance of bread.

It’s the ***real ***presence, not the physical presence.

Jesus Christ was physically present on earth 2000 years ago in Palestine. He is not physically present now. He is really and substantially present, but his physical body has ascended to Heaven. What we have is the real presence of the entire substance of his body, not his physical body.

I know a Methodist pastor who was on disablity and used to go to an adoration chapel to pray in the early hours of the morning as he struggled through his issues. The mother should surely go.

-Tim-

Adoration is what led my mom to convert to Catholicism before she married my dad. It’s a wonderful spiritual experience that speaks to everyone in a unique and powerful way.

When I was wrestling with my own conversion, I spent many hours in front of the Blessed Sacrament. I knew there was a peace I could feel but I didn’t know to what I should attritbute it. I remember praying, on more than one occasion, “Lord, if you are not here, if this place is as evil as some would say, forgive me. I am just trying to do Your will. I want to serve You and I want to know the truth. Please guide me, whether You’re here or not.”

It was great comfort knowing I was accepted by the Church whether I agreed with Her views or not. It was one of the biggest factors in my decision to convert. I have a very special place in my heart for adoration.

To reply to many of you at once: She is very curious and inquisitive about the Church, and very open minded towards Her. She as fully as she can, understands that it is the Real Presence she will be in front of, and I let her know to be silent and whatnot while in the chapel. she was already aware. I pray that this may be God’s way of bringing her into the fullness of Truth, little by little.

St. Monica, pray for us.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is thr fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and out the hour of our death. Amen.

I will pray for your mother.

I know a guy who used to be protestant who experienced a conversion in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament

Adoration is powerful :smiley:

In Christ through Mary & in the friendship of St. Therese,
Zac

As a Protestant I feel very peaceful in adoration. I’m sure your mother will too.

As a Protestant I feel very peaceful in adoration. I’m sure your mother will too.

Great idea! Your Mom can take her troubles right to the top. Peace to both of you. :slight_smile:

I’m always learning from you, Tim! Thanks for taking the time.

Might think about getting her a copy of Catholicism for Dummies. It is an absolutely great introduction to the faith, and will have value for years to come.

Being in the presence of Christ in the Blessed Sacrament has lead to innumerable conversions.

Excellent answer. If your mother is comfortable in the chapel, it is a wonderful place for her to be now. Have you also asked her to come to Mass with you?

Matthew 11:28-29

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. King James Version (KJV)

Sound like she’s in the right place:thumbsup:

Not a problem at all! As long as she goes there freely, there is nothing wrong with that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.