Protestant just another heresey?

One reason for my agnosticism is protestant. Is it just another heresy like how the catholic has faced like gnosticism and so on?

:popcorn:

Protestant"ism" is heresy. Protestants, generally, are not. Some protestants are heretics. Some Catholics (former Catholics) are heretics. I guess if one were to be technical, all protestants are material heretics. Though that carries a different gravity from formal heretics. It is a deep issue that requires real in depth talk. Protestants are material heretics in that what they believe is heretical. It’s impossible to generalize accurately but I feel I would be somewhat accurate in saying that 90% of protestants are only protestant simply because they are ignorant of Catholicism. They get all their information on Catholicism from their protestant communities which are ignorant and biased themselves or they get input from former Catholics who are almost always poorly catechized and left because they didn’t know their faith to begin with.

Agreed.

Very true… and let’s not forget that a big reason that many are the religion they are is because that was the relegion that their parents were and thus were raised that way.

I came from a mixed religion house. My Dad was protestant (bacuase hi s parents, and their parents, etc were Protestant) and my Mom was Roman Catholic. They raised me as a Catholic. My Dad considered becoming Catholic, and went through the cathechisim, but he really was hung up on the confession part and never did go thorough with it.

I’m thankful though that they raised me Catholic.

John

You need to explain your positions a bit more fully. How exactly does Protestantism make you agnostic? Because it is hard to figure out whether Protestantism or Catholicism is true, and that makes you think that maybe neither of them is?

Protestantism is, materially speaking, heretical (actually it consists of many heresies, and some forms of Protestantism are much more heretical than others–some, like conservative, high-church Anglicanism, are hardly heretical at all). But all forms of Trinitarian Protestantism are much, much more orthodox than the Gnostics were. The two are hardly comparable, really. Protestants baptized in the name of the Trinity are, from the Catholic perspective, validly baptized. In my opinion (and I don’t speak for the Church here, obviously, though I speak as someone who has decided after many years of inquiry that the Church is right), even Luther is wrong mostly through exaggeration and lack of proper distinctions. His core concerns are concerns that Catholics ought to acknowledge, but which can be met without doing violence to the structure of orthodox faith (as he did). So he’s a heretic, but hardly in the same boat as someone who radically denies basic doctrines of the Faith. (For instance, Luther didn’t deny the importance of good works–he wanted good works to be seen as things we do for the neighbor rather than things we do to earn God’s favor, and this led him into heresy, but it was a valid concern in the first place.)

All heresies rest on some valid concern which is taken out of proportion and used to deny other aspects of the Faith. But in some cases, like Gnosticism, the valid concern is buried pretty deep beneath mountains of heresy, whereas in others, like Lutheranism, the valid concern is pretty obvious and the heresies are relatively subtle and nuanced.

Edwin

Yep. This is a dangerous path and all too often true. I have to admit that I was one of them and it cost me YEARS of being in the true faith not to mention the inacuracies I spread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.