Protestant Layman Voting on Clergy verse Cardinals and Bishops voting in Catholic Church

I have always wondered why the protestant tradition in some Churchs llike Luthersns, Episcaplian, and Baptist have layman amongst the church vote in clergy or pastors? What is the biblical basis to back that claim with Scripture and when did that protestant tradition start? As a Catholic, I always turn to the book of ACts in the bible and I see that the Apostles (aka bishops) vote in or use the laying of the hands when replacing Judas or St. Stephen etc… I have yet to see anywhere, where the members or layman of the Church vote. Can someone provide some insight on how this started or scripture proof? Thank you!

The Didache and 1st Clement support this practice. They are 1st century documents. When Paul writes Timothy, it depends on whom you believe the audience to be. It seems to support this form of polity as well. It appears that in some cases, the Apostles did appoint but not all of them. I had never heard anyone contend they appointed all of them.:shrug:

\As a Catholic, I always turn to the book of ACts in the bible and I see that the Apostles (aka bishops) vote in or use the laying of the hands when replacing Judas or St. Stephen etc… I have yet to see anywhere, where the members or layman of the Church vote.\

**Apparently, you didn’t read Acts very carefully.

Acts 1:15-23 makes it clear that ALL those assembled in the Upper Room deliberated on reducing the candidates to fulfill the place of Judas and limited the number to two, and then Matthias was chosen by lot.

Acts 6 says that the Apostles ordered the believers to “choose from among yourselves” the first seven decons (Verse 3). In other words, it was up to a vote of the faithful.

There are also ancient canons making it clear that NOBODY was to be ordained to the episcopacy without the consent of the clergy, people, and bishops of surrounding dioceses.

So, you see that input from the faithful is a very old custom.**

OK, I would like a Catholic response who can defend the tradition on having the magisterium select the pope. The pope also appoints bishops if I am correct…can we get a Catholic response to refute the claim of layman voting on priest, bishops, and the pope? Thank you.

Why would you want to refute it when apparently this is the ancient and Biblical practice?

I want to refute the protestant claim that layman should be voting in clergy…We as Catholic layman do not vote or decide…its the cardinals of the magisterium…i want to refute the claim of the protestant view or voting as layman…Any responses?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.