Protestant leading catholic bible study

I have been trying to return to the RCC and get connected to my local parish, and let me tell you it hasn’t been easy. So, I went to the bible study at my parish for the first time, which is lead by two people. One of them (a guy) got into several very heated discussions with all of us about how we were interpreting scripture and the fact that we were not putting God’s word’s first. He insisted that celibacy is not a gift, that when Paul said this is my opinion in Corinthians that Paul doesn’t know what he’s talking about in reference to his own opinion, and God has many different wills (I don’t know what he meant).

Anyway, after the meeting, I asked him when he became catholic, and he said, there was no specific time but that he evolved into it. When I pinned him down, I discovered that he didn’t go through RCIA and was never confirmed.

I spoke to two other classmates about this (one of them then really understand how this was connected to how he was interpreting the bible), and I told them that I would speak to our other leader about this since she is officially in charge.

I called her and expressed my concerns (assuming that she didn’t know that he wasn’t catholic); she said she would pray about it. She admits that he is rude and disruptive, but she told me not to discriminate against him for not being catholic and it had nothing to do with the problem. Of course, his being protestant has nothing to do with him being obnoxious but it has everything to do with why he keeps challenging everything we say and quoting “all scripture is good for instruction and reproof.” There was one gentleman who kept saying, “that’s not what the church teaches” but he would respond but it’s right here in scripture.

Can you believe this? This parish is one shock after another!

Kendy

There is a large difference between letting a protestant respectfully sit in on Catholic bible studies and ask questions and letting him LEAD a bible study and do nothing but undermine the faith, leading souls away from God’s one true Church. If the other “leader” doesn’t stand up for the truth, i might consider starting my own bible study if you could find someone well-versed in Catholic biblical interpretation to help lead it. There’s a difference between charity and spinelessness. There’s no need to be rude to the protestant individual, but he has no place leading this bible study since he has no respect for the faith or its followers. :mad:

[quote=dafalax]There is a large difference between letting a protestant respectfully sit in on Catholic bible studies and ask questions and letting him LEAD a bible study and do nothing but undermine the faith, leading souls away from God’s one true Church. If the other “leader” doesn’t stand up for the truth, i might consider starting my own bible study if you could find someone well-versed in Catholic biblical interpretation to help lead it. There’s a difference between charity and spinelessness. There’s no need to be rude to the protestant individual, but he has no place leading this bible study since he has no respect for the faith or its followers. :mad:
[/quote]

Maybe, it’s just too obvious :rolleyes:

[quote=Kendy]I have been trying to return to the RCC and get connected to my local parish, and let me tell you it hasn’t been easy. So, I went to the bible study at my parish for the first time, which is lead by two people. One of them (a guy) got into several very heated discussions with all of us about how we were interpreting scripture and the fact that we were not putting God’s word’s first. He insisted that celibacy is not a gift, that when Paul said this is my opinion in Corinthians that Paul doesn’t know what he’s talking about in reference to his own opinion, and God has many different wills (I don’t know what he meant).

Anyway, after the meeting, I asked him when he became catholic, and he said, there was no specific time but that he evolved into it. When I pinned him down, I discovered that he didn’t go through RCIA and was never confirmed.

I spoke to two other classmates about this (one of them then really understand how this was connected to how he was interpreting the bible), and I told them that I would speak to our other leader about this since she is officially in charge.

I called her and expressed my concerns (assuming that she didn’t know that he wasn’t catholic); she said she would pray about it. She admits that he is rude and disruptive, but she told me not to discriminate against him for not being catholic and it had nothing to do with the problem. Of course, his being protestant has nothing to do with him being obnoxious but it has everything to do with why he keeps challenging everything we say and quoting “all scripture is good for instruction and reproof.” There was one gentleman who kept saying, “that’s not what the church teaches” but he would respond but it’s right here in scripture.

Can you believe this? This parish is one shock after another!

Kendy
[/quote]

How close are you to another parish? can you move?

Subrosa

[quote=Subrosa]How close are you to another parish? can you move?

Subrosa
[/quote]

I have thought about it. I really have, but why should I leave the parish to the weird pro-homosexual priest and the angry sola scripture bible study leader?

What will happen to that parish if everyone leaves. I hate being in this position since I realize I have so much to learn myself, but there were cradle catholics in that bible study who knew less than me. There was a woman there who didn’t realize that she can’t receive communion at a protestant church and she says that our parish priest told her the church recognizes the supremacy of our consciences. She and I didn’t get a chance to talk much but we developed a rapport and I told her about communion. Maybe, next time I see her we can get into some of these issues. But if everybody who cares about the church’s teaching leaves than our priest might convince her (and others) to follow her conscience and use birth control or something.

Kendy

[quote=Kendy]I have thought about it. I really have, but why should I leave the parish to the weird pro-homosexual priest and the angry sola scripture bible study leader?

What will happen to that parish if everyone leaves. I hate being in this position since I realize I have so much to learn myself, but there were cradle catholics in that bible study who knew less than me. There was a woman there who didn’t realize that she can’t receive communion at a protestant church and she says that our parish priest told her the church recognizes the supremacy of our consciences. She and I didn’t get a chance to talk much but we developed a rapport and I told her about communion. Maybe, next time I see her we can get into some of these issues. But if everybody who cares about the church’s teaching leaves than our priest might convince her (and others) to follow her conscience and use birth control or something.
Kendy
[/quote]

Wow. Kendy, I don’t know what to say----you are really taking on a challenge, and I hope this simply doesn’t squash all of your enthusiasm. I give you loads of credit, though I hope this isn’t going to diminish your faith.

Here’s a suggestion: I think you do need to have some spiritual refreshment if you’re going to take on these ill-informed and heterodox Catholics. Go to an orthodox parish, even if you have to drive, and even if you end up going to Mass twice on weekends. If nothing else, talk to a good priest from an orthodox parish. A friendship with a good priest can help you through these rough spots by giving you an anchor.

Personally, I don’t know if I would stay. There’s something to be said for “voting with one’s feet”, but I respect your intentions.

[quote=Sherlock]Wow. Kendy, I don’t know what to say----you are really taking on a challenge, and I hope this simply doesn’t squash all of your enthusiasm. I give you loads of credit, though I hope this isn’t going to diminish your faith.

Here’s a suggestion: I think you do need to have some spiritual refreshment if you’re going to take on these ill-informed and heterodox Catholics. Go to an orthodox parish, even if you have to drive, and even if you end up going to Mass twice on weekends. If nothing else, talk to a good priest from an orthodox parish. A friendship with a good priest can help you through these rough spots by giving you an anchor.

Personally, I don’t know if I would stay. There’s something to be said for “voting with one’s feet”, but I respect your intentions.
[/quote]

Hi Sherlock :wave:

Connecting with some orthodox catholics is a good idea. I will try. There are a couple of parishes not too far from me that I could visit :).

Kendy

I agree this is crummy stuff that unfortunately happens, and it is good to go somewhere else to get a good base of your faith.

I suggest you go get charged up and strong in defense and understanding then come on back and take them on.

I went to a Baptist Bible study Monday night and it was pretty amusing and it was refreshing at the same time. The amusing part was the bickering since I haven’t heard that in a Bible study for a long time.(maybe I shouldn’t have been amused but it is hard not to be).
I enjoyed sharing the faith and answering the questions about the faith afterward. Most of these people are my friends so we had a nice fruitful discussion afterward and Sunday 2 of them are coming to Mass with me.

So Kendy I know it is hard, but before you leave I hope you strongly suggest a Catholic should lead the Bible study and go get you some good orthodox fellowship.

When I get a nice Verizon wireless card I am going to go back to the Fundamentalist forums for discussion so I can share the faith. But I do need recharges\breaks from that sort of thing and I find it here.

God Bless
Scylla

It is unfortunate that parishes are so lax that there isn’t some oversight from the staff on this bible study.

My wife and I lead a bible study at our parish. We do this by working closely with the director of adult faith formation. Maybe you could ask the pastor of the parish and speak with him regarding some heterodox ideas being tossed about by the leader of the bible study.

You need to inform your pastor immediately and ask for this person’s removal as a bible study leader. The pastor is likely unaware that he is leading or that he is not Catholic.

If you go to a parish bible study you have every right to expect it to be Catholic in its content and teaching. That is your right.

Don’t be shy about bringing this to the priest-- it’s a serious thing.

[quote=1ke]You need to inform your pastor immediately and ask for this person’s removal as a bible study leader. The pastor is likely unaware that he is leading or that he is not Catholic.

If you go to a parish bible study you have every right to expect it to be Catholic in its content and teaching. That is your right.

[/quote]

Very good advice.

If you can, take someone with you as a witness, when you speak to the priest. If nothing is done, contact your Bishop, giving him the day that the priest was notified. If again, nothing is done, contact the Vatican.

[quote=1ke]You need to inform your pastor immediately and ask for this person’s removal as a bible study leader. The pastor is likely unaware that he is leading or that he is not Catholic.

[/quote]

And if the priest waffles, call the bishop.

Scott

Can you just picture this “leader” talking to his church members some Sunday morning and saying “Yeh, I’m teaching the bible to people who think they want to be Catholic… I’ll teach 'em right”

Our music director is protestant ( :ehh: ) and it is reflected in his choice of music, his choice of style etc. Thankfully, a good priest has been assigned… things will change…

I’m curious if anyone here would object to a Catholic teaching at a Protestant Bible study.

Peace,
Richard

[quote=Richard_Hurtz]I’m curious if anyone here would object to a Catholic teaching at a Protestant Bible study.

Peace,
Richard
[/quote]

Let me put it this way–if a Protestant objected to a Catholic coming into his church and teaching, I would say he has plenty of grounds for complaint. Let me add that I might be flexible on bible study, but what the op is describing sounds more like catechesis, which I would not be flexible on and I would expect a non-Catholic to be the same.

Scott

[quote=Subrosa]How close are you to another parish? can you move?

Subrosa

[/quote]

Hi All
This is truly funny, there is another thread asking if satan was involved in the reformation. In that thread people like church militant say that just because there was corruption in the church, people shouldn’t have left the church. He compared it to a divorce in a marriage and how God doesn’t like divorce, and I agree with that. If you feel that there is something wrong in your church then you should stay and stand up for what you believe.
Thanks

[quote=NonDenom]Hi All
This is truly funny, there is another thread asking if satan was involved in the reformation. In that thread people like church militant say that just because there was corruption in the church, people shouldn’t have left the church. He compared it to a divorce in a marriage and how God doesn’t like divorce, and I agree with that. If you feel that there is something wrong in your church then you should stay and stand up for what you believe.
Thanks
[/quote]

The two threads are very, very different, so comparing them is not reasonable. The Reformation split apart Christianity, with Protestants forming their own churches outside the Church. No one is suggesting that Kendy leave the Church or create her own. It’s the same Church, only it might be advisable to attend a parish that is true to the teachings of that Church and is not so Protestant. Being a Non-denom, the idea of the same Church existing in a gazillion parishes might seem odd, but trust me, no one is suggesting that she leave the Church, only find another parish. As Catholics our fidelity is to the Church–Christ’s Church, with a big “C”. Loyalty to an individual parish within that Church is quite another matter, and optional.

[quote=Dan-Man916]It is unfortunate that parishes are so lax that there isn’t some oversight from the staff on this bible study.

My wife and I lead a bible study at our parish. We do this by working closely with the director of adult faith formation. Maybe you could ask the pastor of the parish and speak with him regarding some heterodox ideas being tossed about by the leader of the bible study.
[/quote]

I have spoken to the co-leader who is officially in charge. I will give her an opportunity to do something about it. And if she doesn’t, then I will talk to my classmates and see about arriving at a group strategy.

Kendy

This guy is actually leading the study? I think that’s :whacky: crazy. If he wants to lead a Bible study, why doesn’t he do it someplace else?
I am Methodist, & I wouldn’t mind having a Catholic lead a Bible study at my church, provided that he/she was as:) well read as some of the people around here, BUT: I agree that this sounds more like a catechetics class than a simple study, & I would want any such class in my church to be led by someone who is (A) Methodist, & (B) solid theologically & spiritually.
This guy doesn’t sound like he meets:nope: any qualifications of any kind to lead a Bible study, to be honest, but is he did it on his own, it wouldn’t be mixing people up…

[quote=Richard_Hurtz]I’m curious if anyone here would object to a Catholic teaching at a Protestant Bible study.

Peace,
Richard
[/quote]

Well, I still attend bible studies at my old protestant church and although there’s an officially leader. We take turns leading each session. I have not told them yet, but I will not lead studies. I don’t think it’s fair to the others who signed up for a vineyard bible study.

Kendy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.