Protestant posters: What attracts you?

To our “separated brethren” in Protestant communities,

I’d like to ask you all a question concerning your forum participation: What kind of posts are you drawn toward (and hence presumably more likely to respond to)?

For me I think there are 3 types;

1. One that really is asking for information about protestant belief on a certain subject; meaning the OP is seeking knowledge, not just setting up a discussion to tell the protestant why they are wrong.

2. Threads open to Christian apologetics in general without being proselytizing of course.

3. The threads I start in which I’m asking questions. :stuck_out_tongue: But really, threads that offer information or knowledge from a first-hand perspective of the person practicing what they are commenting on.

Is that what you were asking? :blush:

For me, I guess I just wanted to learn more and there are some very intelligent people who frequently post interesting topics. But I absolutely LOVE the occasional piles of bull ca ca that posters spew out as fact on this site. I will provide you with 3 examples.

1. a gynecologist examined the lady of Guadalupe tilma and concluded that the woman was 3 months pregnant.
    A. to take gyn measurements you need to feel bony landmarks. impossible with this clothed figure where you cannot even SEE the bone structure.
    B. A 3 month pregnancy is just beginning to pass the pelvic bone so would not be visible even on a naked person.

2. Condoms have holes that allow STD’s and AIDS in.
    A. Just a ridiculous claim that needs no further explanation.

3. Vasectomies kill sperm.
    A. another just ridiculous claim.

oh and one more
4. Jesus had type AB blood
A. really? I am so glad that Christ took the time to have his blood tested while he was alive.

Yes it is, and your answers make sense. However, my main reason for asking it is one you may find a bit strange: my experience on the NCRF over the last several years has left me with the impression that the better a post is (all other things being equal) the *less *likely Protestants are to pay attention to it. Some will perhaps say it’s just my imagination :o, but I don’t think so.

Hmmm … :). I’m afraid I didn’t see any of those four threads. But I do know that the Internet can be a pretty crazy place.

You’ve lost me here, as I don’t know what the comparison is? What, then, is “a better post” to you?

Hi Peter J,
Can you clarify what you mean by “better posts”? I think “better posts”, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

I normally start more threads than I reply to other people’s posts. When I do so, I am normally seeking out info about Catholicism and asking specific questions related to doctrine and practice of the faith.

Many of us out in Protestant-land grew up with little or no info about Catholicism, and most of what we knew about Catholicism was either too general to understand the reason behind it, like “Catholics eat fish on Fridays” or “Catholics don’t allow Protestants to take communion” or perhaps distortions like, “Catholics worship Mary and pray to saints and statues” and other bogus info that was fed to us by means of hearsay.

However, I didn’t know any Catholics to ask for clarification on these points until CAF.
Those questions just went unanswered or were answered by non-Catholics with an ax to grind against Catholicism.

That is why I sought out CAF – to find answers to my questions from knowledgeable Catholics.

In my mind, any post that helps me better understand Catholicism or helps me explain my faith tradition to someone else is a good one

I wouldn’t say “better”, but I will admit length can be a turn off for me.

Think of the Catholic to Protestant ratio here. There are sooo many Catholics and few Protestants. And then when the questions are directed at non Lutheran/Anglican Church groups (so no infant baptism, symbolic eucharist, etc) it lessens the amount of people who can respond even more.

I think there’s about 2 other people on this forum who hold almost identical views as me that post in the NC forum. Sometimes I’ll post something and I’ll see it answered by 3 Catholics with paragraphs among paragraphs and I just can’t keep up. When this happens, the main thing that turns me off is that the answers seem so wrong to me, as well as long. So I often will drop those.

I love quality posts though!

1. Discussions of Greek.
  2. Discussions of Early Church history.
  3. Discussions of different belief positions.
  4. Discussions of that peculiar mélange known as Anglicanism.

Note the repeated noun: dialogue is more interesting than ranting monologue.

Well, fair enough. (Or maybe that’s only your opinion? :slight_smile: ;))

Granted, I’ve also never completely agreed with what the typical news outlet chooses to spend most of their time on … seems to me to favor the “sensational” a bit too much.

Don’t think I’ve been in too many of those, at least recently, but I’d be interested in trying it if someone starts one.

1. Discussions of that peculiar mélange known as Anglicanism.

No shortage of those. :o

:confused: Does that mean you aren’t going to share your opinion on what the “better” threads are?

I’m not I understand your wish. Do people usually define what the word “better” means to them?

You had said, “…my experience on the NCRF over the last several years has left me with the impression that the better a post is (all other things being equal)** the less likely Protestants are to pay attention to it**…”

What type of posts, or what subjects make it a “better post” that protestants don’t pay attention to?

In any case where it could mean multiple things, sure. If you tell me that this movie is better than that one, I’ll ask you why, because you haven’t actually told me what it is about this movie which you like. If I want to have a clearer understanding of either you or the movie, I’ll need to ask.

Based upon what I have seen different people praising on CAF, “better” could mean “more in line with one’s own preconceptions” or “demonstrating new and different viewpoints”, “presenting a clear and singular answer” or “presenting no answer but raising many new questions”, “dealing with abstruse theological or historical or linguistic matters” or “not dealing with abstruse theological or historical or linguistic matters”, “listing the views of authorities” or “soliciting the views of other members” (as you have done here), etc. I suppose that it could even mean “featuring puppies/muscle cars/bacon”.

In short, there are just too many possibilities for what you might mean there, and so the rest of us just don’t know what characteristics of a post you are thinking about when you say a “better” one.

Mostly I am drawn to posts about Protestantism and specifically about Luther and Lutheranism.

1. Discussions of that peculiar mélange known as Anglicanism.

No shortage of those.

:slight_smile:

I guess it’s the fact that I don’t really consider myself a Protestant, although I am a Lutheran. I consider myself catholic and orthodox, non-capitalizations intended. I’m in love with the ancient Christian faith. I consider the RCC and EOC as legitimate and lovely as my own. I may convert to one of them at some point in my journey. As for now, I agree most with the LCMS. I also have differences, in that I do petition the Blessed Ever-Virgin Mary. I do have a relationship with her, and I do believe she advocates to her Son for me. I suppose I’m here to grow in my faith, to learn more, and to fellowship with my brothers and sisters.

[quote=Peter J]What kind of posts are you drawn toward (and hence presumably more likely to respond to)?
[/quote]

Hi Peter,

I dont spend much time in the usual Cath/Prod issues. My keen interest is the reliability, and the historicity of the Old Testament scriptures. I enjoy discussing these issues with Bible scholars from both Catholic and Protestant backgrounds.

I find Catholic scholars to be better acquainted with the writings of the Church fathers, and appreciate hearing posts from that angle.

I’m drawn by those posts and questions that will generate a serious conversation about what I seriously believe. I do not like to be baited or be drawn into a conversation just to have someone try to make an example of what I am saying as a “typical protestant” response.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.