Protestant prospective of Pure Life: How is it different than Catholic view?

To all Protestant,

I have watched the Pure Life Club in EWTN. They made very convincing discussion about purity, real love. Have any Protestant watch it?

I also like to know if any Non Catholic Christians have read Pope John Paul II’s Theology of the Body and like to know what their thoughts are about it.

The Book summarizes the connection between martial love between a man and woman and the connection with the unity of the Trinity.

So no Protestant want to tackle this? :stuck_out_tongue:

I dont speak for all, but from what I learned about Protestants and the marital act , this concept is not even on their radar. Contraception is good, even redemptive( the unwanted child mentality) abortion is even ok in some churches. The procreative purpose is not of first importance and even masturbation is acceptable to some. I would imagine, that If a protestant did look at the marital act in the catholic light, they would have to reconsider their own faith. Scott Hahn and his wife started their journey to Catholicism through the issue of contraception.

I haven’t read the book/watched the show… so I didn’t comment before.

some of my views:
[LIST]
*]Sex is for marriage only.
*]no contraception that could abort a baby is acceptable (This rules out the pill, patch, shot etc.)
*]I do not have a problem with condoms, but if you are married {and you must be for sex}, why bother?
*]Abortion is never acceptable.[/LIST]

Just a few response come on… post people :smiley:

Very good question, Mannyfit. I think that increasingly evangelicals are turning to the Theology of the Body because it has the answers to a lot of the questions they have been trying to deal with in an inadequate way. I remember first encountering Love and Reponsibility as a 21-year-old single man and thinking “Aha! This explains why I should be chaste better than anything I’ve ever read.”

One major difference between Catholic and (conservative) Protestant theologies here is that Protestants are focused on marriage and tend to glorify heterosexual sexuality far more than Catholics do. Evangelical young people are taught that they should be chaste because they are “waiting for marriage”–celibacy is usually not in the radar screen. This in my opinion results in false expectations of marriage, as if all one’s sexual temptations will go “poof” as soon as one hits the bridal sheets. Evangelicals have adopted our culture’s over-romanticized view of sexuality and marriage (though of course our secular culture does not adopt the healthier aspects of romantici love, with its emphasis on fidelity and honor–evangelicals have far more of that, but it’s still based on sentimentalism and hence fragile). This is one reason why there is so much divorce among evangelicals.

So in short, we need very badly to hear the Theology of the Body, and more and more evangelicals are recognizing this.

Edwin

Do married Catholic couples stop having sex after the woman goes through menopause and can no longer reproduce?

Don’t all couples?

Divorce rate amongst Catholics is just as bad as Protestants. I do find the purity issue between Catholics and Protestants have similiarities.

After reading parts of the Theology of the Body, the Catholic faith has a more in depth look at sex and marriage. The marriage between a man and woman is similiar to the unity in the Trinity. God, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are One.

In Marriage, a Man and Woman becomes One flesh. From there love forms new life. A child… They procreate life in union with God.

I’m still need to read Pope John Paul’s book but its pack away.

Sorry my response took so long. I havent been checking in here. Anyway, to your question. Of course not. Did you think I ment sex is just for babies? My response is from experience with many protestants. I recommend that you check out Theology of the body to get a better understanding of how the church views the marital act.

God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.