Protestant Theology

This is my first thread started.

I was wondering, what do Protestants belive, in your own words? what defines a Protestant? Besides of o curse the ’ Not benign Catholic."

when you hear the word “Protestant”, what do toy think?

Many Catholics, even Catholic apologists, say their is a range of beliefs. However, they also tend to speak of “The Protestant view” as a unified whole. as if the core beliefs of Protestants are about the same.

such as James Akin, who mentions the Protestant view of Justification, and definition of Faith.

Obviously, their is a basic understanding of what Protestant theology is.

So, what do Protestants believe, in your own words?

ADDENDUM

After all , Mormons, Johovahs’s wirtnesses’ Christophelians, ect, arent considered “Protestants.” ( Many dotn consider them Christain at all, but thats another matter…)

So, clealry their is soemthign that defines a Protestant as a Protestant.

What do they beleive and hwo to they think and addres variosu issues. what makes a Protestant a Protestant andnot soemthign other?

I think that when James Akin uses the term “The Protestant View”, he means “the prevailing protestant view”. As you know, there are so many different belief systems, but if you lumped them all together, you’d get a pretty consistent belief system, with the exceptions in the minority.

I imagine none of them want to be called Protestants. But what do you call them?
Christians? We’re all Christians (although some faiths will argue with that).
Non-Catholic Christians? Oh yeah, I’m sure they’d love that.

Notworthy

Most lable themselves as Protestant. Four Swuasre lables itsself as Protestant. So do the Meathodists. So do the Lutherens…

Most seem fine withthe term.

And most do seem to have a core of beleifs.

I am just curious what you think of when you use the term. And are Mromons Protestantts then?

I have my own veiws, but it is not always wise to speak first., so patience to the cause.

I think probably a vast majority of evangelical protestants would agree with the following statement of faith.

The Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, to be the inspired Word of God, without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for the salvation of men and the Divine and final authority for Christian faith and life.

That there is but one true God in all existence, in all places, and in all time, who is the Creator of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three persons. God is a Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

That Jesus Christ is presently true God and true man, having been conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He died on the cross, a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. Further, He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He is now our High Priest and Advocate.

That Jesus will return bodily to this world to fulfill His ministry and calling as God and Lord.

That the Holy Spirit, like the Father and the Son, has a will, can grieve, love, hate, and is worthy of all worship and honor.

That the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ and to convict men, regenerate the sinner, indwell, guide, instruct and empower the believer for godly living and service.

That man was created in the image of God but fell into sin and is, therefore, lost, and only through regeneration by the Holy Spirit can salvation and spiritual life be obtained.

That the shed blood of Jesus Christ and His resurrection provide the only grounds for justification and salvation for all people. This justification and salvation is obtained by grace through faith alone for all who believe, and only such as receive Jesus Christ, by faith, are born of the Holy Spirit and, thus become children of God.

That water baptism and the Lord’s Supper are ordinances to be observed by the Church during the present age. They are, however, not to be regarded as means of salvation or necessary for salvation.

That the true Church is composed of all such persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and are united together in the Body of Christ of which He is the Head.

In the bodily resurrection of the dead; of the believer to everlasting blessedness and joy with the Lord; of the unbeliever to judgment and everlasting conscious punishment which will not end.

That the Lord and God possess an exhaustive foreknowledge of all things potential as well as actual and that there is nothing God does not know.

For me the key is, what is the source of doctrine:

Protestants - Scripture alone.

Catholic or Orthodox - Scripture, Tradition, Councils/Magisterium

Sectarian groups; (Mormon, Christian Science, etc.) - Scripture, perhaps additional Scriptures (i.e. Book of Mormon) or a living source of new revelation (prophetic leader)

So the waldenses and John wycliffe where protestant then, Adventist?

Protestant means to pick and choose whatever makes you fell good that day to believe in.

Your church doesn’t have enough picnics on the 5th Sunday of each month, or you want to believe in predestination, etc…? Just pick another church to go to or start one yourself.

Lets nto disaparage. Many protestants belive firmly and hoenslty seek the truth.

What I seek hwoever if the tenets of Protestantism and what you think of when you hear the term.

Not uinsults based on no real thought.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.