Protestant view on divorce and re-marriage

Hello! I am a long time lurker and occasional poster on these boards.
I was flipping through the channels early this morning and came across the Jim Bakker show. Until recently, I didn’t know that he even had a new show!!! So, out of curiosity, I watched for a bit. He was doing a show in celebration of his wife, Lori’s birthday. Now, I briefly searched online about the divorce of him and Tammy Faye (I was young during the scandal and don’t remember much of it) and found that he commited adultry several times when married to her (yeah, i’ve been hiding in a hole in the ground) Then I did a search on his new wife, Lori. It stated that she had, in the past, commited adultry and gotten divorced. From what I have gathered on this website and other studies and conversations I’ve had with Protestants, they believe that the Bible should be taken word for word.

Now, what about Matthew 5 19-21? Where it states : "You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you, everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body thrown into Gehenna. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into Gehenna. “It was also said, 'Whoever divorces his wife must give her a bill of divorce.'
But I say to you, whoever divorces his wife (unless the marriage is unlawful) causes her to commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.”

I am not in any position to say whether or not they are “changed” people but, they preach to the masses about the word of God but they contradict it in the way they live their lives.

I was just wondering if there are some Protestants out there that could explain to me their views on divorce and re-marriage. Catholics that know about the views please feel free to add your :twocents: Thanks in advance!!! ~Krissy~

Most Protestants do not actually believe the Bible is infallible on issues of faith and morals, or anything like that. Only a small minority take their faith seriousily. Very, very few have even read it cover-to-cover.

And that would go for the majority of Catholics too.

ummm, dont know if there is “masses” but people love a happy ending and will follow after them because they say they changed, and like you said maybe they did.

I used to listen to ole Mr Swaggert. then he fell, hes preaching again too from what I understand. I dont know, I liked his bible study show and followed it not so much his preaching. I havent found much in the show that was wrong since, so everything he said wasnt necessarily wrong, just his selection of after hours recreation. so I guess its possible for him and Mr Baker to come around.

and if we believe in Jesus ability to change hearts of hardened criminals then I guess we have to believe in His ability to change these guys.

But to follow them? I guess one could listen, but I would have them under a gardener checking the fruit until I was certain. Now, I know personally we dont hold each other to that, but since they are in the positions of teaching then they must be.

“Word for word”?

I am not sure what you mean here.

If you mean we should take Scripture at its Word, then yes.

I am not in any position to say whether or not they are “changed” people but, they preach to the masses about the word of God but they contradict it in the way they live their lives.

Just because one has sinned in their past does not mean that is “the way they live their lives.”

People make foolish mistakes. Who are any of us to not let them get beyond their past?

I was just wondering if there are some Protestants out there that could explain to me their views on divorce and re-marriage.

God hates divorce and a divorce should only be sought under certain circumstances, primarily sexual immorality and betrayal.

We should hate divorce just as much as God does. It is a cancer in our society and in our churches.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.