Protestant View

Situation:

A male Protestant that believes in “Once Saved Always Saved” and does not believe in confession or purgatory is walking down the street with a clean soul (in their opinion) having just prayed for forgiveness. He steps off of the curb and trips, curses (sinning) and is hit by a car without having time to ask God for forgiveness for the curse.

What is the Protestant view on what happens to this man’s soul? He has died with a stain on his soul. There is no where for him to go to cleanse it (Purgatory). A soul MAY NOT enter heaven if stained. What happens to his soul?

Protestant viewpoint only please.

In the same scenario, what would happen to a practice Catholic? I guess the question is is the cursing a mortal sin? I guess it is if the cursing is taking the Lord’s name in vain, right?

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Protestants make the distinction between mortal and venial sin, anyway. So if, to them, a sin’s a sin’s a sin, then cursing (a sin) without time to repent would have to exclude them from Heaven (by their reasoning).

Sorry, I know you said Protestants only.

Oh yes, I think you’re right.

Instantly with the Lord.

2 Cor 5:8 we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Protestants make the distinction between mortal and venial sin, anyway. So if, to them, a sin’s a sin’s a sin, then cursing (a sin) without time to repent would have to exclude them from Heaven (by their reasoning).

This is what I am searching for. Their belief behind a souls destination in the stated situation. I have been trying to find the reasoning behind “Once Saved Always Saved”. In a perfect world where once you follow Jesus and never sin again it almost makes sense. The problem that always comes to me is… YOU will sin again even after “accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior”. If you don’t you are not human. So what happens to these souls in a Protestant view? I don’t beieve any of it, just trying to understand what they believe.

Sorry, I know you said Protestants only.

:smiley: I just want their viewpoint of the situation. I dont mind hearing from Catholics. :smiley:

Catholics believe in purgatory.

Catholig

Kaycee:

Instantly with the Lord.

Is this a Protestant View? If so what about the stain on the soul? What happened to it? How was the soul cleansed?

The protestant view is this: The soul is NOT cleansed. Protestants don’t believe once saved always saved means that souls enter into heaven pure. Instead, protestants (at least, the non-denoms you’re trying to understand) believe that the soul comes to judgement stained with sin and that the Blood of Jesus somehow COVERS their sin and makes them worthy in the eyes of God. It’s part of the whole “everyone has sinned and fallen short” combined with “we are saved by grace.”

While this seems like a stretch to we catholics who have been through the proper exegisis, it’s really the only way that one can justify their belief structure.

Well, I know, but if one dies with mortal sin on his soul, there is no purgatory for that person. If in the above scenario the person curses by taking the Lord’s name in vain, he dies in a state of mortal sin.

The OSAS view, as I was taught it a few years ago, would be that that sin was forgiven as soon as the man was ‘saved’ and asked Jesus to become his personal Lord and saviour. As all the sins he has ever committed occured after the crucifixtion, they are all forgiven as soon as he asked for it that one time, including all sins he might ever commit.

In other words:

Crucifixtion - 33AD - Price payed for ALL sins for ALL time
Man Becomes Saved - April 3rd, 2007 - Man accepts forgiveness
Man Swears and Dies - April 4th 2007 - Sin was forgiven 33AD, no offense recorded after Man accepted forgiveness

That theology is amazing to me! It also negates A LOT of scripture!!

Lampo Said:

including all sins he might ever commit.

If this is true, then once you have accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Savior you do not have to worry about sin at all? You can do what you want when you want and the sin is instantly forgiven? Even without asking for forgiveness?

No wonder this view is so easy to believe. There is no need to live a descent life once you accept.

exactly, lorathan, like i said in my previous post there is no belief that they need to do any action to atone or account for their sins.

The Once Saved Always Saved Protestant tries to live a good and decent life out of love for Jesus. The trivial sins he might commit, like cursing before slipping under a car, are already forgiven, because the direction of his life has changed.

Trival sin isn’t a problem in this theology. The problem is when the sin is extremely serious. Then there is no way out.

True, but they don’t recognize serious sin. If someone is comitting serious sins, then they would argue that the person was never really saved to begin with.

But I thought that Protestants did not differentiate between sins. A sin is a sin no matter what it is. Curse, Lie & Murder all the same. So to take it one step further… If the “man” murders his wife and then has a heart attack… What happens to his soul?

Hi,
Here is a protestant point of view: I know you are all waiting on pins and needles since most responses have been from catholics.:stuck_out_tongue: LOL :wink:
**Is a backsliding Christian still saved?"
Answer: This is a question that has been debated endlessly over the years. The word “backslider” or “backsliding” does not appear in the New Testament and is used in the Old Testament primarily of Israel. The Jews, though they were God’s chosen people, continually turned their backs on Him and rebelled against His Word (Jeremiah 8:9). That is why they were forced to make sacrifices for sin over and over in order to restore their relationship with the God they had offended. The Christian, however, has availed himself of the perfect, once-and-for-all sacrifice of Christ and needs no further sacrifice for his sin. God himself has obtained our salvation for us (2 Corinthians 5:21) and because we are saved by Him, a true Christian cannot fall away so as not to return.

Christians do sin (1 John 1:8), but the Christian life is not to be identified by a life of sin. Believers are a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17). We have the Holy Spirit in us producing good fruit (Galatians 5:22-23). A Christian life should be a changed life. Christians are forgiven no matter how many times they sin, but at the same time Christians should live a progressively more holy life as they grow closer to Christ. We should have serious doubts about a person who claims to be a believer yet lives a life that says otherwise. Yes, a true Christian who falls back into sin is still saved, but at the same time a person who lives a life controlled by sin is not truly a Christian.

What about a person who denies Christ? The Bible tells us that if a person denies Christ, he never truly knew Christ to begin with. 1 John 2:19 declares, “They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.” A person who rejects Christ and turns his back on faith is demonstrating that he never belonged to Christ. Those who belong to Christ remain with Christ. Those who renounce their faith never had it to begin with. 2 Timothy 2:11-13, “Here is a trustworthy saying: If we died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us; if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself.”

ALLFORHIM:

Your answers related back to my original “perfect world” scenario. What I can’t get my mind around is that if all sins are equal then it does not matter the final sin in the situation. Only that the man has accepted the Lord. Is this true? Is the man who curses cleansed? And is the man who murdered cleansed of his sin?

Yes , only if they have accepted through grace by faith the gospel message of our Lord .

How was that for a simple answer.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.