Protestant worship/praise music

Is there any Protestant worship or praise music that you listen to or really like?

I'm definitely guilty of liking a few. I find some of the bands/artists to not only have good music, but having songs with really inspiring lyrics (some not all).

If there are any bands or singers that you like or dislike, list them here and tell me why you do or don't really like these artists. Thanks!

I have a folder of P&W music on my player, and I listen to it when I'm mowing or doing some task that I dislike. It turns an I'd-rather-be-somewhere-else,-doing-something-else time into a time of worship.

Love divine all loves excelling
Jesu Lover of my soul
Guide me O thou great Jehovah
O worship the King
Lo he comes with clouds descending
Praise my soul the King of heaven
Thou whose almighty word
Onward Christian soldiers

Many, many more besides.

EDIT: oh, you are talking about happy clapping stuff. No is the answer. I can' t stand that sort of thing. We use hymnal which are about three times older than I am.

[quote="Mgray82, post:1, topic:309613"]
Is there any Protestant worship or praise music that you listen to or really like?

I'm definitely guilty of liking a few. I find some of the bands/artists to not only have good music, but having songs with really inspiring lyrics (some not all).

If there are any bands or singers that you like or dislike, list them here and tell me why you do or don't really like these artists. Thanks!

[/quote]

Sadly the music and hymnody at my local catholic church is all of the praise and worship variety, and the authors are Catholics. By contrast, the Anglican and protestant churches still sing traditional hymns which I much prefer.

I attended a Presbyterian church in the 70s that used a mixture of the traditional hymns and the then current "praise" music. I liked that combination. In contrast the Baptist church I currently attend uses only the "happy, clappy" stuff and it drives me crazy. Bring back the old hymns. And I love some Gregorian chants too.

[quote="liturgyluver, post:4, topic:309613"]
Sadly the music and hymnody at my local catholic church is all of the praise and worship variety, and the authors are Catholics. By contrast, the Anglican and protestant churches still sing traditional hymns which I much prefer.

[/quote]

I'm referring to some of the music you would hear on like Christian radio. Anything from contemporary to rock or other types of Christian music. Not necessarily music you would hear at a Protestant church service per se, but more like the mainstream artists..

For example, one particular band that I like is a hard rock Christian band called "Ivoryline". Not only is their music really good but their lyrics are good as well.

I guess that's what I meant when I posted the thread..hope that sheds some more light on the subject.

God bless!

Can rock music really be Christianized? Rock music seems to me to have been an invention to wipe out Christianity, and the general ethic of rock bands and the obscene volumes they plst at attest to that.

[quote="cajunhillbilly, post:5, topic:309613"]
I attended a Presbyterian church in the 70s that used a mixture of the traditional hymns and the then current "praise" music.

[/quote]

My current church does that as well. I personally prefer the older hymns, but I like some of the newer songs, such as this one:

youtube.com/watch?v=yWSATpx7uzk

[quote="Indifferently, post:7, topic:309613"]
Rock music seems to me to have been an invention to wipe out Christianity...

[/quote]

:confused: How so? It is true that many rock musicians live an immoral life, but if we judge the music itself on the lifestyle of individual artists, then we'd better avoid the jazz and classical stations on the radio as well.

[quote="Indifferently, post:7, topic:309613"]
Can rock music really be Christianized? Rock music seems to me to have been an invention to wipe out Christianity, and the general ethic of rock bands and the obscene volumes they plst at attest to that.

[/quote]

I used to think the same that the genre of rock was all about sex, drugs and living that immoral lifestyle. But when I came across a band named Third Day, I was delighted to find out that it is possible to take rock music and transform it into something really beautiful and also to take Christian music and transform it into something that catches the attention of the youth.

I know from experience when I first started listening to Third Day and when driving in the car with my older son that he actually didn't mind driving with me and listening to Third Day which was great because he was being evangelized thru their music yet he had no idea that he was being evangelized. It was like a gateway that helped him let Jesus into his heart. Still waiting for a miracle, but I'll take the transformation thus far!

Some Third Day music:

youtube.com/watch?v=yl1oL7U4QjI

youtube.com/watch?v=BfXhWoBUi-k

youtube.com/watch?v=Z_e3aJLRsdc

youtube.com/watch?v=RwPqCPMyypI

[quote="Mgray82, post:6, topic:309613"]
I'm referring to some of the music you would hear on like Christian radio. Anything from contemporary to rock or other types of Christian music. Not necessarily music you would hear at a Protestant church service per se, but more like the mainstream artists..

For example, one particular band that I like is a hard rock Christian band called "Ivoryline". Not only is their music really good but their lyrics are good as well.

I guess that's what I meant when I posted the thread..hope that sheds some more light on the subject.

God bless!

[/quote]

I haven't heard "Ivoryline" yet, but I will check them out. I do like Matt Maher and he is Catholic. Some other "Protestant" contemporary singers that I like are, Jeremy Camp, Johnny Diaz, Casting Crowns, King and Country, Sidewalk Prophets. The list really goes on.

Listening to the Sound of Life radio has allowed me to evangelize who ever happens to be in my car and they don't even realize it, but the lyrics do pierce our hearts and transform - Jesus is that powerful that he works His grace thru those musicians.

[quote="peace2u2, post:9, topic:309613"]
I used to think the same that the genre of rock was all about sex, drugs and living that immoral lifestyle. But when I came across a band named Third Day, I was delighted to find out that it is possible to take rock music and transform it into something really beautiful and also to take Christian music and transform it into something that catches the attention of the youth.

I know from experience when I first started listening to Third Day and when driving in the car with my older son that he actually didn't mind driving with me and listening to Third Day which was great because he was being evangelized thru their music yet he had no idea that he was being evangelized. It was like a gateway that helped him let Jesus into his heart. Still waiting for a miracle, but I'll take the transformation thus far!

Some Third Day music:

youtube.com/watch?v=yl1oL7U4QjI

I love Third Day- also love Casting Crowns, Chris Tomlin, Matt Maher (he is Catholic!), Tenth Avenue North and Stephen Curtis Chapman. I listen to a lot of Contemporary Christian music these day on the radio- even more than when I was Methodist as we had the songs in church and as a Catholic they are not at our Masses at our parish (which is fine, music is not why I became Catholic). I find that Christian music enhances my prayer life and connection with the Lord. While I don't listen exclusively to Christian music it is a large part of my radio listening (along with EWTN).

Blessings,

Val

youtube.com/watch?v=BfXhWoBUi-k

youtube.com/watch?v=Z_e3aJLRsdc

youtube.com/watch?v=RwPqCPMyypI

[/quote]

If that is all of it, then why is it that there are Christian rock bands?
That said, the answer to your question is a definite yes. :slight_smile:

[quote="Crescentinus, post:12, topic:309613"]
If that is all of it, then why is it that there are Christian rock bands?

[/quote]

Well that's not always necessarily a good thing...

Thanks for clarifying. I don’t listen to Christian radio, but as I don’t like rock music that is probably a good thing. I like pop, but not pop-type hymns. I am sure others will be able to discuss this more fully.

God bless

If you want to listen to some good Christian music, listen to this:

youtube.com/watch?v=itKeTpK83IY

Not Protestant, but one of the most beautiful I have ever heard.

I kind of like Francesca Battistelli, Newsboys, and Steven Curtis Chapman. My mom got me a Praise and Worship CD for Christmas, but some of the songs on there are a bit too repetitive and happy-clappy, so they simply lack the deep meaning that some of the other songs have. ;)

I am a 59 year old. I do like some of the praise and worship music that is out there. There is one song,"Oh how He Loves" that particularly speaks to me. There are at least two different bands that I have heard sing this song. David Crowder band is one of them. I also like 10,000 reasons, but I can't remember the artist name, I did mention I am 59 right, Ha!

There are many such songs that really speak to me, but I know some of the Theology is wrong, so we must be careful to not just believe everything we hear.

Merry Christmas,

Stan

Even when I was evangelical I had an extreme dislike for “contemperary christian music” (CCM). Of course, this is something I never said outloud to anyone (which makes me wonder how many others felt the same way).
The problem with CCM is that, in imitating popular music styles, the songs become a simplistic theological mess. Most are not giving praise to God, they are testifying to each other.
There are exceptions, but for the most part, that was my assessment.
Christian metal is even worse. SCREAM, SCREAM, SCREAM, Jesus, SCREAM, SCREAM…:smiley:
Get the point?
CCM is a mile wide and an inch deep. Take it from someone who grew up listening to music from the 60s.
They have catchy tunes and create emotion.
But that’s about all it creates.
There are many historical Protestant hymns that are suitable theologically for Catholic worship. But that’s not the same thing as CCM or ‘praise music.’

I still enjoy the music from years ago:

Point of Grace
Steven Curtis Chapman
Michael W Smith
Sandi Patti
Amy Grant
Twila Paris
Carman

I’m sure there are others, but I can’t think of them right now. If you’ve never heard The Warrior is a Child by Twila Paris please go to youtube and listen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.