Protestant youth music performance

youtu.be/SHop9HtNtfs This is a pretty good performance by a non-denominal youth band and is a good example of some things that are part of the appeal of non denominational church life. While I don’t believe that we should have such performances at Mass or in the sanctuary, I do think that there is a place for such spirit filled modern music. I would like to hear others opinions on this. God bless.

[quote="coachkfan1, post:1, topic:304019"]
youtu.be/SHop9HtNtfs This is a pretty good performance by a non-denominal youth band and is a good example of some things that are part of the appeal of non denominational church life. While I don't believe that we should have such performances at Mass or in the sanctuary, I do think that there is a place for such spirit filled modern music. I would like to hear others opinions on this. God bless.

[/quote]

The Catholic version of this can be seen in a "Life Teen" lifeteen.com/ mass. I looked for a vedio of a basic mass but could only find vedios of mass and adoration within the conferences. They are awsome.:extrahappy:

Peace!!!

Though modern Christian music is not usually to my taste, I do admire the artists for combining their love of Jesus with their passion for the arts. I agree with you that it is not something I would like to see in Mass. . . . though I'm not really sure I can put into words the reason *why *I find it to be unsuitable - guess I just prefer solemnity over something up-beat? :shrug:

“Upbeat” can be “solemn.”

It is not necessary that a piece of music be “slow” or “regular rhythm” or “quiet” or “ancient language” in order for the piece to be “solemn.”

The Latin word from which the word “solemn” is dervied means “consecrated, holy.” There are many lively, upbeat, modern pieces of music that are consecrated (i.e., set aside) and holy. An example would be many of the John Rutter pieces–glorious, upbeat music, often written with irregular rhythm (like chant)–but definitely solemn.

Well said, Cat. from a Lutheran perspective, music, like any other art within the Church, should reflect doctrine. There are some very old hymns, typical in protestant churches, that you won’t hear in a Lutheran church because they do not present proper doctrine.
It isn’t the beat, or the rhythm, or the instrumentation. Its doctrine.

Jon

Agree…not during mass and not after the mass nor at another time in the sanctuary. It sounded a little kumbaya to me and maybe not as good. :rolleyes:

To Jon’s comment on music reflecting doctrine. Agree. Also would add that the mass on All Saints Day included a reading from Matthew 5 on the beatitudes. As did two of the songs during the mass. It all tied together nicely.

I like Bluegrass music especially Bluegrass Gospel which we listen to on XM Radio going to church on Sunday, but that type of music does not belong in church. Lutherans have great hymns that teach Law and Gospel and doctrine. We have some problem with Lutherans that want to be wannabe Penticostals and do not treasure their liturgical history.

My brother and I go to from Catholic Church to Catholic Church and perform our Catholic Hip Hop music. We don’t charge anything but only take donations. If the distance is fairly far, we charge for travel expenses.

If any youth minister or anyone wants to book us for a youth event or retreat, our info, music, videos, upcoming shows, etc are all on our website below.

www.elijahandelisha.com

We are currently giving out our album, “Spirit vs. Flesh”, for free until Wednesday the 7th of November. You can download the whole album here: www.elijahandeilsha.bandcamp.com.

We are also on iTunes, Amazon and Google Play.

Thank you and God bless!

:thumbsup:
Praise bands and the like belong at a Saturday evening Walther League / Luther League (depending on your synod :)) meeting.

Jon

I never heard of praise music and bands in a Lutheran church until we moved to California and went an ELCA church before we joined our LC-MS church. We found the same problem in the LC-MS. Our area of Pennsylvania was pretty conserative and all the ELCA churches were pretty liturgical conserative but with lousey theology.

Now that you mention that, (and now that I think of it), there *are *fast/joyous rhythms I love to hear in church. Handel’s Messiah, How Great Thou Art, Lift High the Cross, etc. These could then be considered “solemn” because of the lyrics, though?

I’ll have to check out John Rutter some time - thanks!

[quote="lerapt78, post:11, topic:304019"]
Now that you mention that, (and now that I think of it), there *are *fast/joyous rhythms I love to hear in church. Handel's Messiah, How Great Thou Art, Lift High the Cross, etc. These could then be considered "solemn" because of the lyrics, though?

I'll have to check out John Rutter some time - thanks!

[/quote]

Great examples!

Rutter is the bomb! He's so cool! Back in high school, my daughter and her friends had t-shirts made with "Rutter" on them. I can't remember the design on the shirts, but it was obvious that they were Rutter fans! They loved his music.

Our parish school children's choir sang a Rutter piece at Mass on Saturday night--"All Things Bright and Beautiful", and I accompanied them. Here is a link to a youtube of that piece: youtube.com/watch?v=WlhV80QPUuI

I'll warn you--Rutter is not always easy. In the past, I have been hired by Protestant churches to accompany children's choirs doing Rutter' pieces--the pieces were too difficult for the regular pianist/organist. Often the rhythms are highly irregular.

Thy Strong Word by Koine - contemporary and liturgical all at the same time!

Thy Strong Word-LSB #578

Still, that version would be jarring in our Divine Service...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.