Protestantism and Christ

Just a thought…

First, refresher…
Forgive me for not knowing the exact verse.
In The bible, the Apostles come across people who they did not know, but were teaching in the name of the Lord. When they asked Jesus what to do about these people, Jesus simply responded ‘Do nothing, Those that are not against us are with us’

Is it possible Jesus is in this case referring to Protestantism, As long as they are not the type that focus more time on pointing out what denom they think is wrong, but preach in Charity, they are merely doing what they think God wants them to do and have a great love for god…

While I do not agree with many points of protestantism, they are Christians, and could it be possible Christ was referring to them?

Just a random musing…

In Christ

I don’t know if he was prophetically referring to them, but I remind myself of that very verse ‘whoever is not against us is for us’ whenever I start to want to bash a protestant’s beliefs due to a non-catholic practice or whatever.

I think that possibly Jesus was referring to to Catholics

:nope:

I think that the verse makes the point that so long as we are for Christ, we are with each other. Whether protestant or Catholic.

-Justin

Here is the Scripture passage:

Mark 9:38-40 John said to him, “Teacher, we saw a man casting out demons in your name, and we forbade him, because he was not following us.” But Jesus said, "Do not forbid him; for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon after to speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is for us.

At the actual time, the words seem to refer to those who did not follow Jesus. If we make that application today, the passage might refer to those who recognize Jesus as being a spiritual leader, whose name has power, - and yet these people do not accept Him as God and become Christian.

Just a thought.

Nita

I always liked these particular verses of the Bible. It reminds me why we shouldn’t hinder Protestants from evangelizing to non-Chirstians. Granted, Protestant beliefs originated during the middle ages, but there were clearly divisions in the early Church as well, so these verses certainly apply to Protestants that are separated from Catholicism.

Here’s an interesting synopsis from Mark Shea regarding those verses:

mark-shea.com/VII.html

[quote=Mark Shea]John assumes precisely what our arch-Traditionalist dissenter assumes: if you are not in visible union with the Church–if you are not “following us” (by which he means “following the apostolic college”), then you can’t possibly be under the influence of Jesus Christ. But Jesus corrects him: “He that is not against us is for us.” This saying is the paradoxical complement to his first saying. For it makes the common sense point that, on the one hand, there is no salvation outside the Church, yet, on the other hand, we puny mortals do not know where “outside” is.
[/quote]

Yes agree to you, why should catholic hinder protestants from saving the lose?? becoz God wanted us to save the lose and if anyone stop us then you indeed go again God’s teaching lol:cool:

If a Protestant is compelled to Baptize any non-beleiver, why should I hinder that? Why should I stop the saving grace of Baptism? I shouldn’t.

If a Protestant is compelled to Baptize any Christian believer (such as Catholics), it can’t be done because they are already Baptized into Christ.

Teaching errors of Christian doctrine on the other hand to the newly Baptized however is where I draw the line in the sand. Baptizing non-Christians is fine, but then leave the instruction of the faith to the Catholic Church. :wink:

From a timing perspective, that wouldn’t work. As we all know, Protestatism came about way after Jesus.

or allischalmers…:rolleyes:

If we are “with each other,” how is it that the RCC then says that we are separated?

Separated from whom?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.