Protestantism summed up in a simple verse from scripture

Hey everyone…I was watching the Journey Home and Marcus Grodi quoted a passage from 2 Timothy that really brought Protestantism to light for me…This is an excellent passage and I believe it fully describes the nearly 33,000 different protestant religions out there:

“For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity, will accumulate teachers and will stop listening to the truth and will be diverted to myths.” 2 Timothy 4:3-4

What do all of you think…good stuff?

Very good stuff, but to find it a little easier, 2 Tim 4:3,4.

Ooops…thanks for the correction…dually noted and fixed…:slight_smile:

[quote=Strider]Very good stuff, but to find it a little easier, 2 Tim 4:3,4.
[/quote]

I read this to my CCD class about 15 years ago. They understood. Good passage, thanks.
“For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity, will accumulate teachers and will stop listening to the truth and will be diverted to myths.” 2 Timothy 3-4".

Excellent passage. I think it also works for all those Catholics who feel it should change it’s stance on so many areas to make it easier to live in sin or doctrines due to polls and popularity contests. Thank you.

“I believe in one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.”

“There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures” (2 Pet. 3:16)

catholic.com/library/Starting_Out_as_an_Apologist.asp

Wish I had reflected more on that passage when I read it during my latest “faith crisis”. It did strike a chord with me, though I’d wage a bet protestants use the same passage to defend their own beliefs.

I like that one too…very nice.

[quote=JGC]“There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures” (2 Pet. 3:16)

catholic.com/library/Starting_Out_as_an_Apologist.asp
[/quote]

I know many protestants who use this (and other) scripture quotes against the catholics

ie they say that it is the catholics who go against scripture by using tradition + pope rather than what the bible says alone

“After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him.” -John 6:66

(Consider the context: the Real Presence in the Eucharist.)

[quote=Sgt Sweaters]“After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him.” -John 6:66

(Consider the context: the Real Presence in the Eucharist.)
[/quote]

Why is it that they turned back and no longer walked with him?

[quote=dumspirospero]Hey everyone…I was watching the Journey Home and Marcus Grodi quoted a passage from 2 Timothy that really brought Protestantism to light for me…This is an excellent passage and I believe it fully describes the nearly 33,000 different protestant religions out there:

“For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity, will accumulate teachers and will stop listening to the truth and will be diverted to myths.” 2 Timothy 4:3-4

What do all of you think…good stuff?
[/quote]

To which they might reply with:

Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our assembling to meet him, we beg you, brethren,

2Th 2:2 not to be quickly shaken in mind or excited, either by spirit or by word, or by letter purporting to be from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come.

2Th 2:3 Let no one deceive you in any way; for that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of perdition,

2Th 2:4 who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.

2Th 2:5 Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you this?

2Th 2:6 And you know what is restraining him now so that he may be revealed in his time.

2Th 2:7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way.

2Th 2:8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, and the Lord Jesus will slay him with the breath of his mouth and destroy him by his appearing and his coming.

2Th 2:9 The coming of the lawless one by the activity of Satan will be with all power and with pretended signs and wonders,

2Th 2:10 **and with all wicked deception for those who are to perish, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. **

2Th 2:11 Therefore God sends upon them a strong delusion, to make them believe what is false,

2Th 2:12 so that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

or, with Revelation 18. 4:

Rev 18:1 After this I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority; and the earth was made bright with his splendor.

Rev 18:2 And he called out with a mighty voice, "Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great! It has become a dwelling place of demons, a haunt of every foul spirit, a haunt of every foul and hateful bird;

Rev 18:3 for all nations have drunk the wine of her impure passion, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth have grown rich with the wealth of her wantonness."

Rev 18:4 Then I heard another voice from heaven saying, "Come out of her, my people, lest you take part in her sins, lest you share in her plagues;

Rev 18:5 for her sins are heaped high as heaven, and God has remembered her iniquities"…

===========

Result: stalemate :slight_smile: - for anyone can play Bible bingo :slight_smile:

Solution: look at what Protestants do and and believe, and why. Protestantism can’t be summed up in a single verse, not without being greatly over-simplified. No religion can. ##

As to those 33,000 - that is a gross exaggeration, but a very popular one ##

[quote=sonseeker]Why is it that they turned back and no longer walked with him?
[/quote]

Because they could not accept the teaching of the real presence. John 6 is the chapter in which Christ insists that “my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.”

[quote=Sgt Sweaters]Because they could not accept the teaching of the real presence. John 6 is the chapter in which Christ insists that “my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.”
[/quote]

Ok. But, why would they turn away from that?

[quote=sonseeker]Ok. But, why would they turn away from that?
[/quote]

Because the teaching is so hard for them to accept; they cannot fathom it. It is quite noteworthy that Protestantism as a whole does the same thing when it comes to the Real Presence: they turn away from it, just like the 60 who no longer followed Jesus.

I’ll admit it - protestantism is in the Bible.

[quote=“Numbers 16:1-3”]Now Korah, the son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, and Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab, and On, the son of Peleth, sons of Reuben, took men:

And they rose up before Moses, with certain of the children of Israel, two hundred and fifty princes of the assembly, famous in the congregation, men of renown:

And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the LORD is among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the LORD?
[/quote]

And

[quote=“3 John verse 9”]I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.
[/quote]

You have to understand, it’s "Sola Scriptura but not wholla da Scriptura."http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Things like the stewardship of Peter, the teaching against divorce, the real presence are so clear and plain that only those who want to disbelieve can manage it – and then only by denying the words of Christ Himself in the gospels.

[quote=vern humphrey]You have to understand, it’s "Sola Scriptura but not wholla da Scriptura."http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
[/quote]

:rotfl:

[quote=BobCatholic]I’ll admit it - protestantism is in the Bible.
[/quote]

I went to a Protestant service recently at which they expounded upon this passage (Korah’s rebellion). For some reason, I’m the only one that noticed the similarities between Korah’s argument against the priesthood and today’s Protestants’ argument against the priesthood.

Go figure!:rolleyes:

[quote=Milliardo]Because the teaching is so hard for them to accept; they cannot fathom it. It is quite noteworthy that Protestantism as a whole does the same thing when it comes to the Real Presence: they turn away from it, just like the 60 who no longer followed Jesus.
[/quote]

Do you mean it was hard to understand how the real presence was within the elements that Christ was talking about. What was it that was “hard for them to accept?”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.