Protestantism vs Catholicism debates

Any good debates between a Protestant and Catholic I can check out?

There’s a classic debate between Patrick Madrid and James White on Sola Scripture. Just go to PatrickMadrid.com and look there. I think it costs a couple of bucks but really eye opening. Madrid wipes the floor with White.

Well, that’s very Christian-like…when we are supposed to love our neighbors as ourselves, and love our enemies as ourselves, as Christ loves us, His Church.

I cannot bare the constant fighting and arguing over who is the better Christian in God’s eyes. Didn’t He tell us we had no authority to judge? Didn’t He tell us to instruct others with kindness in our hearts and in accordance with His Word?

I would like to see a more even playing ground between Catholics and non-Catholics since we all love and worship the same God/Jesus. We all want to follow God’s instructions to us. We are all sinners who must repent and ask for God’s forgiveness. We all want to tell everyone we can about the Good News of Jesus’ gift of salvation, and bring them to God in baptism.

My goodness, fellow Christians, must we be in constant battle when we are all on the same team?
:banghead:

I am so very happy to be a Christian, to be able to walk with Him in this life, and to have the gift of salvation through Him who saved me.
:extrahappy:

You aren’t calling people names and fighting against this thread are you?:confused:

Dr. Robert Sungenis has participated in some very good debates. Here’s one discussing the fallacy of Sola Scriptura:

youtube.com/watch?v=4WidSqKS804 - Part One

youtube.com/watch?v=fuvG5eqqOCE - Part Two

I believe the Catholic Church, (and those in communion with it), is the ONLY Church established by Jesus Christ, that others, were established by men.

It’s Catholic teaching that when someone knows about the Catholic faith and deliberately rejects it, anyway, he automatically is excommunicating himself be it for heresy, schism, or apostasy.

Further, we believe Christ gave us 7 sacraments. Without all 7, it makes it harder to get into heaven. Plus, many other faiths offer an abridged version of the Bible, likewise, making it harder than it already is.

Christ began the Church, not “churches”. Last time I checked, there were something like 38,000?

Debating has a negative connotation now a days because of what politicians and the media have turned it into but debating historically has been a wonderful thing and the Church has celebrated good healthy debate. To see what a actual debate should look like, check out the movie about Blessed Duns Scotus where the Church debated the Immaculate Conception the debate at the end is fantastic.

I get what you are saying and I dislike the Protestant vs. Catholic mentality some people have especially in the US but you have to seriously think about what you are asking a Catholic to concede and deny to be on the same team as Protestants, I know I will never deny Jesus in the Eucharist, I would rather die defending Him, then to deny Him. I will never believe John 6 is merely symbolism or that Saint Paul isn’t warning us to not approach the risen Lord in the Eucharist unworthily because we would be guilty of the Body and Blood of The Lord if we do, you cannot profane a symbol. It Is very hard for Catholics to put a Protestant Sunday Service on the same level with Mass, we believe what happens at Mass is the most important thing that happens on earth and that heaven an earth are one and we are literally in the Presence of Jesus at the marriage supper of the Lamb! Ghandi said if I believed that was God my face would be on the floor.

I get what you are saying and I dislike the Protestant vs. Catholic mentality some people have especially in the US but you have to seriously think about what you are asking a Catholic to concede and deny to be on the same team as Protestants, I know I will never deny Jesus in the Eucharist, I would rather die defending Him, then to deny Him. I will never believe John 6 is merely symbolism or that Saint Paul isn’t warning us to not approach the risen Lord in the Eucharist unworthily because we would be guilty of the Body and Blood of The Lord if we do, you cannot profane a symbol. It Is very hard for Catholics to put a Protestant Sunday Service on the same level with Mass, we believe what happens at Mass is the most important thing that happens on earth and that heaven an earth are one and we are literally in the Presence of Jesus at the marriage supper of the Lamb! Ghandi said if I believed that was God my face would be on the floor.

All in the same team means all in the Catholic Church, the only Church established by Christ.

I believe like you do now. But for many years it was all just a beautiful story to me. I was just ready to go Presbyterian if my husband said he would go (it was his church from childhood…) when God reached out and saved me. He showed me what I would be giving up (the Eucharist and so much more…) I’m just saying many Catholics don’t know what they have!!! So sad. So discussion just MIGHT bring them into the light of the REAL PRESENCE!

It is really upsetting to me to see Catholics don’t understand this gift from God and I try to remind all my family and friends about the real presence and I feel so incredibly bad for converts when they go to their first mass and they see several very poorly Catechized Catholics going up to communion that they are not able to go in and they watch these Catholics treat the Eucharist so cavalierly. For a lot of Protestant converts the journey into the Church is a long and painful one and the biggest glue keeping them in RCIA is the fact we sincerely believe we are receiving the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus which is anything but uninspiring and merits the opposite of a cavalier attitude. Top that off with people that do the Judas shuffle and leave mass right after Communion. Oh vey! I am not sure I understand why the communion rail was taken away but it helped reverence.

Whoa… slow down…

Someone who is not in communion with the Church cannot be excommunicated.

Heresy is when is a baptized Catholic rejects some part of revealed truth. Someone who is not baptized Catholic cannot be a heretic. It is Church teaching that someone who was raised outside of the Catholic faith through no fault of their own and simply doesn’t believe some of what the Catholic Church teach is not a heretic.

Apostasy is a complete rejection of the faith, like walking away and becoming an atheist. Rejecting part of the faith does not make you an apostate. You have to reject all of it. A Catholic who leaves the Church and goes to a Protestant Church is not an apostate as long as he believes in some of the Christian faith.

Schism is a rupture of unity. One not in union with the Church cannot rupture unity because they were never united with the Church in the first place.

I agree with you on the sacraments except that most Catholics never receive all seven, although they receive benefit from others who have received the sacrament of Holy Orders. It is hard enough getting into heaven with the sacraments. I don’t know what people do without confession and the Eucharist, how they deal with life on a day to day basis. I really don’t.

-Tim-

Thistle, teams are for competition. The Catholic Church rarely competes with other Churches. In fact, the Catholic Church is often very careful not to do anything that is seen as an act of aggression toward other Christian Churches.

The Catholic Church corrects error but does not condemn other Christian Churches.

If you get a chance, please look at the encyclical **Casti Connubi**i from Dec 31, 1930. This was in response to the Anglican Church which said that “other means” can be used to prevent pregnancy besides abstinence. The response by Pope Pius XI was absolutely blistering but nowhere does the encyclical say anything about the Anglican Church. The encyclical says “some recently have judged it possible solemnly to declare another doctrine”.

This is one example of how the Church corrects, and sometimes aggressively condemns errors, but it does not challenge other ecclesial bodies or religions.

-Tim-

someone who was raised outside of the Catholic faith through no fault of their own and simply doesn’t believe some of what the Catholic Church teach is not a heretic.
— the actual teaching is more about children and people who live in remotes part of the world, if you have heard what the Catholic Church claims not what you think it claims but what it actually claims and you still reject it especially if you are at an age of reason, you are a considered a heretic, we don’t use the word heretic for ecumenical reasons which I agree with but it’s pretty clear

The Catholic Church clearly teaches (Dogma) that there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church. In other words ALL are to be united in the same “team”.

kmcarl56 #3
I cannot bare the constant fighting and arguing over who is the better Christian in God’s eyes. Didn’t He tell us we had no authority to judge? Didn’t He tell us to instruct others with kindness in our hearts and in accordance with His Word?

The misconceptions here include the failure to acknowledge that Christ has commanded us to judge everything against truth, and that He founded His Catholic Church on St Peter and commanded:
“All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. [19] Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. [20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.”
[St Matthew, 28].

Further, that is why Jesus mandates: “He that hears you hears Me, and he that despises you despises Me, and he who despises Me despises Him who sent Me.” (Lk 10:16).

Isn’t it true, however, that Jesus doesn’t despise any… He loves ALL!
Even the mistaken, misinformed and searching…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.